Thanks for the app I can't delete

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Weeeeee bit of an over reaction by the more faithful. My bad for saying apple did something that I didn't like!
No, it's not that you don't like something Apple did. We can all find something Apple does or has done that we don't like or agree with. It's that this issue is insignificant and not worth fretting over. If it were an app like Pages, that took 300 mb of space, then it would be significant. Just stick it in your unused folder, move the folder way over on the last screen page by itself and forget about it.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Sooooooooo now I have an Apple watch app on my phone. That I will never use. That I don't want. That I can't delete.

First they put the worst album in the history of music with that Bono fella on my phone that I couldn't delete without and act of God and now this?

If they sent the watch that's one thing, but "hay! Here's an app you'll never use that you dont need! Yay you!"

More bloat for everyone. Yet they will say its not that bad, yet if it was an android phone/app it would make a front page story ha. But it is apple, so yeah, not going to let you uninstall the app. I think it would have been better to make it an app in the app store that those with an apple watch could go and download, but such is life lol.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
No, not whining. At all really.

My bad for thinking I get to control what goes on my phone.

Thanks for the feedback on the bloatware though!

I know what you mean but there is substantially less bloatware on an iPhone than there was on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I had 32 apps that could not be deleted at all and NONE of them were carrier apps as the phone was bought unlocked.

At the end of the day, we all have apps we use and don't use, across all devices and platforms and basically we all just have to suck it up, stick them in a folder and forget about them. On my Android phone, I could hide the folders/apps I don't use if I install an aftermarket launcher (Nova Prime FTW) on the iPhone I can't. I long ago learned not to let it bother me and I stick any new apps I am unlikely to use in my "Where are they now?" folder.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
More bloat for everyone. Yet they will say its not that bad, yet if it was an android phone/app it would make a front page story ha. But it is apple, so yeah, not going to let you uninstall the app. I think it would have been better to make it an app in the app store that those with an apple watch could go and download, but such is life lol.

That's because Android bloat is what makes the OS truly bloated. Like when you get a 16GB device and you have 7GB available from the get-go because of the carrier and manufacturing bloat. Apple does a good job in how it manages the storage on the small storage devices. The fact that they freed up space in I believe what was 8.1 or maybe a point update after that shows that they're aware of the problem and care enough to free up space. On Android you can't just hide the bloat. It takes up space. On iPhones, the bloat (Apple apps) is there, but once it's hidden it literally has no effect on your storage.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
That's because Android bloat is what makes the OS truly bloated. Like when you get a 16GB device and you have 7GB available from the get-go because of the carrier and manufacturing bloat. Apple does a good job in how it manages the storage on the small storage devices. The fact that they freed up space in I believe what was 8.1 or maybe a point update after that shows that they're aware of the problem and care enough to free up space. On Android you can't just hide the bloat. It takes up space. On iPhones, the bloat (Apple apps) is there, but once it's hidden it literally has no effect on your storage.

Agree, but seems they only did it to avoid a lawsuit, and only after people brought the lawsuit to the table, otherwise people still probably wouldn't be able to OTA on low storage models. Not to mention the apps on Apple take up storage just like they do on android. Just because you put them in a folder doesn't make them free up space. It's similar to disabling apps on android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Agree, but seems they only did it to avoid a lawsuit, and only after people brought the lawsuit to the table, otherwise people still probably wouldn't be able to OTA on low storage models. Not to mention the apps on Apple take up storage just like they do on android. Just because you put them in a folder doesn't make them free up space. It's similar to disabling apps on android.

I didn't say putting them in a folder frees up space, though. I'm saying that since there isn't that many pre-installed apps that take up as much space as the bloat on Android devices do, the iPhone apps tend to have a "Just hide them and don't be reminded of them again" effect. It creeps up in Android because of storage problems.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I didn't say putting them in a folder frees up space, though. I'm saying that since there isn't that many pre-installed apps that take up as much space as the bloat on Android devices do, the iPhone apps tend to have a "Just hide them and don't be reminded of them again" effect. It creeps up in Android because of storage problems.

That makes no sense. It only "creeps up" on low storage models, same way it would on IOS.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
That makes no sense. It only "creeps up" on low storage models, same way it would on IOS.

No. Because it isn't as much bloat. It makes a lot of sense.

It's my point to when people start yelling about this. You call this bloat? Get yourself a carrier branded Android flagship phone.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I dont mind the app being there. Of course its some marketing involved and that's cool. Like I said it can haunt you till you buy a watch.

Apple let people marinate on the watch since last Sept and poured some more juice on you last week to let you marinate some more and the app is a little tease for those unsure if they want the watch. Look at the images when you launch the app. They're beautiful. Its brilliant what they do.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I personally dislike having apps on my phone that I can't delete. Yes, I have them a in a junk folder now, which is taking up space on my screen, and not very organized. I don't have a junk drawer at home or my office for the same reason. I'm tidy and organized and I don't have what I don't use. Even BlackBerry is doing this now though. Used to be able to hide icons on BlackBerry but no longer. Annoying to me. I agree with the OP!

Last edited:

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
K
I wish I was you. If this is the biggest problem in your life, count yourself lucky.

He never said this was his biggest problem in Iife. Just like it's not mine. I'm surprised at how people jump to Apple's defense if someone suggest they would like a change. "I would like iPhone have cut and paste, would be handy!" "Apple didn't include it, never will and you shouldn't want it! Apple said so!"Geez. If they took away copy and paste now would you all defend that too?

The ability to hide apps would be nice. I'm sure there's an app for that, but like mentioned above, it's not so much of a concern that I'll research that. However, if Apple included that ability, you bet I would utilize and appreciate it. As would many of you yelling to just put apps in Your junk folder would use it. To me Apple is very zen in their design approach. At least Jobs approach. the junk folder doesn't jive with that.

I'm sure we can't hide apps for a specific, business, reasons. It's usually a case of follow the money to know why. Either way, this condemning a person for making a suggestion outside of Apple's box is crazy on this forum.

Are the big iMore ads your biggest problem in life? http://forums.imore.com/imore-com-site-news-feedback-help/321132-imore-app-ads.html
Whiner. ;)

I also would like an LED:)

Last edited:

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Either way, this condemning a person for making a suggestion outside of Apple's box is crazy on this forum.

I also would like an LED:)

Suggestions are fine by me. But making a thread extremely sarcastic like it was the biggest problem in his life seemed a bit over the top

Craig Schober

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
A standalone app would go great for everyone except Apple and all the people that didn't know you need an app on the iPhone for the watch. That will be in the millions and many of those people will want that Apple Watch to work immediately and will be disappointed when it doesn't becuase they didn't know they needed an update and now they can't get a connection or have to wait until they do.

Anyway, Apple must choose between these people whining about a 35MB app they didn't ask for and their customers who just bought the new Apple Watch and want a seemless experience. I wonder who they will choose?

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Suggestions are fine by me. But making a thread extremely sarcastic like it was the biggest problem in his life seemed a bit over the top

Maybe you interpreted that way. You inferred it was his biggest problem in his life. That mistake is on you. Was your ad thread indicative of your extreme upset? I dunno. To me both threads just seemed to make a point and suggestion. I didn't find this one to be threading or aggressive. OP didn't say he was sueing Apple or leaving iPhone or crying over it. Seems to just be a statement. No big whoop.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Apple may have made the decision to force the app on every iPhone due to the way the app and watch will integrate into the entire system.

On the other hand, I also use a Note 4 and own a Gear S watch. Samsung did not force the Gear manager app to be installed on every phone by default. I had to install it and was told I needed it when purchasing the watch at T-Mobile. I have respect for Samsung for not force installing the app.

hatchettjack

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
I like the app, I've never thought about needing a smart watch until I looked at the pics in the app and thought Damn, that is kinda cool looking!

Sent from my  6+

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Maybe you interpreted that way. You inferred it was his biggest problem in his life. That mistake is on you. Was your ad thread indicative of your extreme upset? I dunno. To me both threads just seemed to make a point and suggestion. I didn't find this one to be threading or aggressive. OP didn't say he was sueing Apple or leaving iPhone or crying over it. Seems to just be a statement. No big whoop.

I had no problem with what the OP posted until I read his "i can't control what's on my phone." That wasn't a point nor a suggestion. That was, in essence, "crying" over it.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I had no problem with what the OP posted until I read his "i can't control what's on my phone." That wasn't a point nor a suggestion. That was, in essence, "crying" over it.

Why? The statement is correct. We all know Apple is a "walled garden." This provides benefits as well as providing us with less options. However it also makes Apple more secure, fluid, cohesive and just work well together. But OP is right in that we don't have total control over our phone. Like I said I would love to simply have the option to "hide" apps. Seems a small request. Just for aesthetic and organization reasons. There's many apps I do not use. I do not like my junk folder. Am I whining or crying? No, I am making a statement and explaining it.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I personally can't believe how much time has been wasted on this topic.

Sent from my Gold iPad Air using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR