$10,000...

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I agree with you on this. The Watch Editions is the first High End, Luxury Smart-watch, and it’s not geared towards us. It’s geared towards people who have high disposable income. People who can spend more in a day, than any of us make in a year.

Simply put, this is the Smart-watch is for the 1%

As a CPA, I focus on high income individuals and business entities. Few would spend this amount no matter what. It depends on what it is. Clothes? Sure but not on one item. Have to look good though.. Car? Same and more but it has a long life. Watch or other jewelry? Sure, but it's a long term asset.

Fine jewelry retains its value. This can't be said enough. These folks who buy a 40k watch know it's going to be worth that, if not more, later. It's considered a long term asset with a long useful life. The apple watch edition? It's an electronic device and I'd classify it as I would a computer with a short useful life. Very very few, regardless of income level, wants to throw away 10-20k.

It will be remarkable if Apple can convince enough people to buy the edition at those prices. It's a completely new category for Apple though. And most interesting is how they're using it to market the whole category and promote the idea of the Apple watch as fashion AND..get people to accept the prices of the steel watch. But it can backfire. I've seen a lot of resentment from even what I would consider apple fans who basically have been teased for months and had their hopes dashed. This isn't something they can hope one day to purchase...it's just forever out of their reach.

Will they resent Apple enough to switch to something else is the thing. For a company already seen as greedy, this didn't go over well. Apple basically just fired a nuke if you weren't quite sure before.

BTW... does anyone take Tim Cook seriously when he talks customer satisfaction ratings? Here he is from last year:

But what’s most important to us is that customers are enjoying their iPads and using them heavily. In a survey conducted in May by Changewave, iPad Air registered a 98 percent customer satisfaction rate, while iPad mini with Retina display received an astonishing 100 percent customer satisfaction rate.

And yesterday he said the iphones have a 99 percent customer sat rating. These numbers sound so unrealistic that it makes it very hard to trust anything else coming out of his mouth. It's better left unsaid IMO.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
As a CPA, I focus on high income individuals and business entities. Few would spend this amount no matter what. It depends on what it is. Clothes? Sure but not on one item. Have to look good though.. Car? Same and more but it has a long life. Watch or other jewelry? Sure, but it's a long term asset.

Fine jewelry retains its value. This can't be said enough. These folks who buy a 40k watch know it's going to be worth that, if not more, later. It's considered a long term asset with a long useful life. The apple watch edition? It's an electronic device and I'd classify it as I would a computer with a short useful life. Very very few, regardless of income level, wants to throw away 10-20k.

It will be remarkable if Apple can convince enough people to buy the edition at those prices. It's a completely new category for Apple though. And most interesting is how they're using it to market the whole category and promote the idea of the Apple watch as fashion AND..get people to accept the prices of the steel watch. But it can backfire. I've seen a lot of resentment from even what I would consider apple fans who basically have been teased for months and had their hopes dashed. This isn't something they can hope one day to purchase...it's just forever out of their reach.

Will they resent Apple enough to switch to something else is the thing. For a company already seen as greedy, this didn't go over well. Apple basically just fired a nuke if you weren't quite sure before.

BTW... does anyone take Tim Cook seriously when he talks customer satisfaction ratings? Here he is from last year:

But what?s most important to us is that customers are enjoying their iPads and using them heavily. In a survey conducted in May by Changewave, iPad Air registered a 98 percent customer satisfaction rate, while iPad mini with Retina display received an astonishing 100 percent customer satisfaction rate.

And yesterday he said the iphones have a 99 percent customer sat rating. These numbers sound so unrealistic that it makes it very hard to trust anything else coming out of his mouth. It's better left unsaid IMO.
As I said in another thread, Apple can afford to be greedy because they have their consumers by the throat. Those that want a smartwatch with top features have no other choice but to change platform, which may be few considering Apple's amazing brand. To use the watch, you got to have an Apple IPhone if you don't already have one (iPhone 5 and newer). Apple is perhaps not banking on Android consumers to jump ship, cuz it'll be at least $1,200 for them to pay up for an IPhone and the watch. Their strategy is to squeeze more lemon from Apple consumers, particularly loyalists, imo. I hope they can pull it off so the 2nd generation would be better.

Last edited:

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Just the Stainless Steel band alone seems a little pricey to me. I guess it's gonna be the Sports edition for the Ball & Chain, and myself ...
Believe me it's not that we can't afford the more expensive models. it's the functionality that we want. I have a collection of watches, but the last year or so I've worn a Pebble for the functionality. I'm always getting inquiries and ooooh's & awwww's over my $99 piece of plastic ...
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 9.26.51 AM.png

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I highly doubt the Apple Watch 1st gen will lose very much value. Just look at the first gen iPhone, keep it in decent condition, and you can sell it later. On top of that, I also doubt that it will be obsolete within the year. Apple purposely made the S1 powerful, I mean, they could have easily made it a 500 MHz piece of garbage, but instead it's basically a duel core 1 GHz. But the bands are ridiculously pricey. Some of them I kinda get, like the Milanese loop, but the link bracelet, in the words of the kids that go to my school "has no chill". In other words, it is way to expensive. That being said, I'm pretty sure we will see a price drop with the next model, or maybe before that

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I have to say that as someone who isn't actually interested in purchasing one of these things, I'm fascinated by the immediate reactions and the dynamics surrounding the apple watch as a whole. Apple has done a superb job in creating all the buzz and hype out of this.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I doubt even true credible luxury watchmakers would attempt to charge this high for a watch people would actually pay 10k for. That's how crazy this news is.

Yes, it is clearly an attempt to push the hype level up to a 100, and nothing else.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, I doubt even true credible luxury watchmakers would attempt to charge this high for a watch people would actually pay 10k for. That's how crazy this news is.

Yes, it is clearly an attempt to push the hype level up to a 100, and nothing else.

Let's be honest it's a watch for Jay Z to purchase, they just wanted to make it a public option.

Sent from my  iPhone 6 Plus

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's no different then the blackberry Porsche model

Sent from my  iPhone 6 Plus

True, but we all know Blackberry does this, and no one else can do it within the luxury smartphone department, which admittedly is small, but we all know Blackberry can do this. It being a Porsche design actually makes the whole thing work.

But Apple coming out straight and saying their smartwatch costs 10K, while luxury watch brands chuckle, doesn't work unfortunately...

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I have to say that as someone who isn't actually interested in purchasing one of these things, I'm fascinated by the immediate reactions and the dynamics surrounding the apple watch as a whole. Apple has done a superb job in creating all the buzz and hype out of this.

Isn't that their strategy? Get everyone overly hyped and even a few who weren't will be sucked in. Then BAM! More sales.

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com
30 to 50 times the difference in price? No. Not like the Apple Watch Sport vs the Apple Watch Edition.

That is mainly because other companies don't make 'entry-level' watches for under $1,000. I am not getting an Edition because I want the Watch for working out, going out, etc. I would not feel comfortable wearing an 18K gold watch in the gym. That's just me. I am less flashy than others. Also, since this is a tech product, I wouldn't buy one every year either.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Didn't he basically say he was going to before the prices were even announced?

I hope he does buy more than one. It will be funny to see the CB trolls, and the trolls who get after him for having the audacity to buy an iPhone, all explode simultaneously. It will be a troll Supernova. I'll buy the popcorn.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I hope he does buy more than one. It will be funny to see the CB trolls, and the trolls who get after him for having the audacity to buy an iPhone, all explode simultaneously. It will be a troll Supernova. I'll buy the popcorn.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

It will be even more fun to watch than the time he spent like two grand on the gold 5S. It was hysteria over there.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
True, but we all know Blackberry does this, and no one else can do it within the luxury smartphone department, which admittedly is small, but we all know Blackberry can do this. It being a Porsche design actually makes the whole thing work.

But Apple coming out straight and saying their smartwatch costs 10K, while luxury watch brands chuckle, doesn't work unfortunately...

Except that those are niche within niche within niche products with a nonexistent ecosystem and so many problems that personally I don't think they're worth 200 bucks. So you're buying a half functioning ugly as sin device for the cachet of saying you paid 2K bucks for it. At least with an Apple product you are buying *quality* design, a *quality* ecosystem, and the BEST support in the industry. What do you get when you buy a BlackBerry? Nothing that can be described as being in the same quality as an Apple product. Tell it to the people who bought Playbooks isntead of iPads. Thankfully I dropped my Playbook like a hot potato.

People buy luxury products because they want to and because they can and because it's fashionable. And 20 bucks says you'll see Apple Edition watches on starlets and music artists.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW