$10,000...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Judging by comments especially from the apple fans, it's not going over too well. Hope they don't redefine themselves out of the market or at least some negative goodwill. Combined with a MacBook downgraded to one port, a lousy kb, and a slow processor. It wasn't a great event.

It wasn't really downgraded...it's kind of a market they left years ago and came back to. Mid range notebook...there is still a pro, and still an air, and I think this is for the people who wanted a little more than the air but not quite the pro. I'm personally waiting on a new pro because it's coming time for me to upgrade soon.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
It wasn't really downgraded...it's kind of a market they left years ago and came back to. Mid range notebook...there is still a pro, and still an air, and I think this is for the people who wanted a little more than the air but not quite the pro. I'm personally waiting on a new pro because it's coming time for me to upgrade soon.

I didn't quite get the name. Thanks for explaining. Everyone has been talking 12" mba and all.

ultravisitor

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
$10,000 for a watch isn't even that much. If someone is going to strap a $50,000 Rolex on their wrist I don't think that same person will scoff maybe trying an Apple Watch Edition for a mere $10,000 if it will work with their iPhone. We commoners are the market for that watch.

Most people don't buy the really expensive timepieces just for show or without much consideration of how their money is being spent. A Rolex will retain its value and perhaps even appreciate in value. Rich people value their money. I mean, that's a big reason why they're rich. The people who spend money on the high-end Swiss timepieces are buying them because of the history, because of the intricacies of the movements, because of the attention to detail and craft. Watches that are in the thousands of dollars price range are assembled by hand, with their pieces of the movement polished by hand. The Apple Watch is made by machine in China, and it's functionally the same regardless of price point.

The Apple Watch Edition is made for people like Kim Kardashian or Kanye West. I really don't see many from the high-end crowd finding much appeal. (Indeed, if you go to forums like Watchuseek--a hangout for people who buy and/or collect expensive timepieces--you'll find probably most people think the Edition is ridiculous.)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
(Indeed, if you go to forums like Watchuseek--a hangout for people who buy and/or collect expensive timepieces--you'll find probably most people think the Edition is ridiculous.)
Once upon a time, the "industry" and ardent followers thought the iPhone was ridiculous...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I do agree that the first people you'll see wearing the Edition are the ones that rhyme words in a sentence and call it a "song" like Jay-K or whatever that untalented guy's name is.

ultravisitor

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Once upon a time, the "industry" and ardent followers thought the iPhone was ridiculous...

But were there two versions of the iPhone that were functionally the same, except at vastly different price points due to finish?

Look at what I said. I didn't say the Watch would fail. I said the Watch Edition was ridiculous and not something attractive to those accustomed to spending thousands on watches. When people spend thousands on watches, they're getting more than just a different finish. That's completely different from the Apple Watch Sport and the Apple Watch Edition model of business, and so a comparison to what people were saying about the iPhone, iPad, etc. isn't quite valid. I was speaking specifically about the Edition and the likelihood of the high-end watch crowd embracing it.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I love Apple's products but the trend of "we can price items whatever we want and people will buy them" won't last. $599 for the stainless steel is a ripoff if you ask me.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, if they only made one model in stainless and sold it for $449-499, I bet it'd do really well.

I agree. That's a better price point. These prices are ridiculous for what you are getting. One stainless steel in the $450 range would make sense to me. Either way I think the current pricing is terrible.

anon8656116

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Furthering on your point on exclusivity, I think it's cheesy to even offer it online to order. This should be a "come to us" type thing. I understand that it will only be available in select stores, but I still think that would make it even more of an "edition" type-watch.

I suppose that they want to offer the Apple Store experience to these customers as well. It’s part of the brand, at least in the US. Announcing the price and making it available in selected Stores means that Apple doesn’t yet want to let go of its sales strategy and wants to stay a bit more down-to-earth. Moving that part out of the spotlight would have shown Apple in a different light and they were never ashamed before to announce their prices, even if they were panned for them in the industry.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
But were there two versions of the iPhone that were functionally the same, except at vastly different price points due to finish?

Look at what I said. I didn't say the Watch would fail. I said the Watch Edition was ridiculous and not something attractive to those accustomed to spending thousands on watches. When people spend thousands on watches, they're getting more than just a different finish. That's completely different from the Apple Watch Sport and the Apple Watch Edition model of business, and so a comparison to what people were saying about the iPhone, iPad, etc. isn't quite valid. I was speaking specifically about the Edition and the likelihood of the high-end watch crowd embracing it.

There is a HUGE difference in price between a Rolex Submariner and Rolex Submariner 18K Gold. The only difference is the finish. Both tell the time, show you the date etc etc. I believe the movement is the same. All you get with the 18K Submariner over the Submariner is 18K Gold.

Apple is doing the same thing with the Sport and Edition.

I don't honestly know if the Rolex-type crowd will get an Edition.... but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. After all, who says you can only have one 18K watch? Trust me, there are thousands and thousands who can easily afford more than one.

anon8656116

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
There is a HUGE difference in price between a Rolex Submariner and Rolex Submariner 18K Gold. The only difference is the finish. Both tell the time, show you the date etc etc. I believe the movement is the same. All you get with the 18K Submariner over the Submariner is 18K Gold.

Apple is doing the same thing with the Sport and Edition.

I don't honestly know if the Rolex-type crowd will get an Edition.... but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. After all, who says you can only have one 18K watch? Trust me, there are thousands and thousands who can easily afford more than one.

I think it’s important to note that Apple is not advertising the Apple Watch Edition as a piece of jewellery, but simply as a luxurious smartwatch for the affluent, one that is meant to be used just like anyone else would use an Apple Watch. This isn’t like Rolex or Omega that specifically design their watches as jewellery with collector’s value. The Edition is really just for people who have the money to spare and are interested in a smartwatch. Apple is specifically doing this, because no one else does it. This positions the Apple Watch as the smartwatch of choice for the very rich where exclusivity and expensive materials matter.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
In the high end watch bracket, I own a Breitling Navitimer, a Rolex Oyster Perpetual, a Rolex Submariner and an Omega Seamaster and I WOULD NOT buy an Apple Watch Edition at all! Not even if I had a spare $10k just kicking around. All of my other watches have appreciated in value, I seriously doubt the Edition will.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Wowwww I had no idea the cost of luxury watches.

6cf38942280e89bb0d0c5423b0680151.jpg

f570825db5128f13faf0db2260971ee1.jpg

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...081-fc6348.html%23.VP54cYr3aJI&token=MVdlWwoz

http://www.watchesonnet.com/tag-heu...5oerfMkZ8cM2XbVFKGOt_wGvVYAlmIk754aAvW_8P8HAQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I think it?s important to note that Apple is not advertising the Apple Watch Edition as a piece of jewellery, but simply as a luxurious smartwatch for the affluent, one that is meant to be used just like anyone else would use an Apple Watch. This isn?t like Rolex or Omega that specifically design their watches as jewellery with collector?s value. The Edition is really just for people who have the money to spare and are interested in a smartwatch. Apple is specifically doing this, because no one else does it. This positions the Apple Watch as the smartwatch of choice for the very rich where exclusivity and expensive materials matter.

I agree with you on this. The Watch Editions is the first High End, Luxury Smart-watch, and it?s not geared towards us. It?s geared towards people who have high disposable income. People who can spend more in a day, than any of us make in a year.

Simply put, this is the Smart-watch is for the 1%

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative