Once upon a time, the "industry" and ardent followers thought the iPhone was ridiculous...
    But were there two versions of the iPhone that were functionally the same, except at vastly different price points due to finish?

Look at what I said. I didn't say the Watch would fail. I said the Watch Edition was ridiculous and not something attractive to those accustomed to spending thousands on watches. When people spend thousands on watches, they're getting more than just a different finish. That's completely different from the Apple Watch Sport and the Apple Watch Edition model of business, and so a comparison to what people were saying about the iPhone, iPad, etc. isn't quite valid. I was speaking specifically about the Edition and the likelihood of the high-end watch crowd embracing it.
    ritesh likes this.
    03-09-2015 08:22 PM
    Also comes with 2 years AppleCare... - a 3rd year of AppleCare+ will cost extra.
    At $17k, for that price, Apple Care should be lifetime
    ultravisitor and HAWK like this.
    03-09-2015 08:34 PM
    I love Apple's products but the trend of "we can price items whatever we want and people will buy them" won't last. $599 for the stainless steel is a ripoff if you ask me.
    BB fan forever likes this.
    03-09-2015 08:44 PM
    $599 for the stainless steel is a ripoff if you ask me.
    Honestly, if they only made one model in stainless and sold it for $449-499, I bet it'd do really well.
    03-09-2015 08:47 PM
    Honestly, if they only made one model in stainless and sold it for $449-499, I bet it'd do really well.
    I agree. That's a better price point. These prices are ridiculous for what you are getting. One stainless steel in the $450 range would make sense to me. Either way I think the current pricing is terrible.
    boovish likes this.
    03-09-2015 08:49 PM
    I wonder if I can pay them in trident layers.
    soren203 and MarkY3130 like this.
    03-09-2015 09:51 PM
    Furthering on your point on exclusivity, I think it's cheesy to even offer it online to order. This should be a "come to us" type thing. I understand that it will only be available in select stores, but I still think that would make it even more of an "edition" type-watch.
    I suppose that they want to offer the Apple Store experience to these customers as well. It’s part of the brand, at least in the US. Announcing the price and making it available in selected Stores means that Apple doesn’t yet want to let go of its sales strategy and wants to stay a bit more down-to-earth. Moving that part out of the spotlight would have shown Apple in a different light and they were never ashamed before to announce their prices, even if they were panned for them in the industry.
    03-09-2015 10:17 PM
    When he said that I thought of you all and how you were all probably laughing your asses off like I was.
    03-09-2015 10:25 PM
    But were there two versions of the iPhone that were functionally the same, except at vastly different price points due to finish?

Look at what I said. I didn't say the Watch would fail. I said the Watch Edition was ridiculous and not something attractive to those accustomed to spending thousands on watches. When people spend thousands on watches, they're getting more than just a different finish. That's completely different from the Apple Watch Sport and the Apple Watch Edition model of business, and so a comparison to what people were saying about the iPhone, iPad, etc. isn't quite valid. I was speaking specifically about the Edition and the likelihood of the high-end watch crowd embracing it.
    There is a HUGE difference in price between a Rolex Submariner and Rolex Submariner 18K Gold. The only difference is the finish. Both tell the time, show you the date etc etc. I believe the movement is the same. All you get with the 18K Submariner over the Submariner is 18K Gold.

Apple is doing the same thing with the Sport and Edition.

I don't honestly know if the Rolex-type crowd will get an Edition.... but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. After all, who says you can only have one 18K watch? Trust me, there are thousands and thousands who can easily afford more than one.
    03-09-2015 10:56 PM
    There is a HUGE difference in price between a Rolex Submariner and Rolex Submariner 18K Gold. The only difference is the finish. Both tell the time, show you the date etc etc. I believe the movement is the same. All you get with the 18K Submariner over the Submariner is 18K Gold.

Apple is doing the same thing with the Sport and Edition.

I don't honestly know if the Rolex-type crowd will get an Edition.... but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. After all, who says you can only have one 18K watch? Trust me, there are thousands and thousands who can easily afford more than one.
    I think it’s important to note that Apple is not advertising the Apple Watch Edition as a piece of jewellery, but simply as a luxurious smartwatch for the affluent, one that is meant to be used just like anyone else would use an Apple Watch. This isn’t like Rolex or Omega that specifically design their watches as jewellery with collector’s value. The Edition is really just for people who have the money to spare and are interested in a smartwatch. Apple is specifically doing this, because no one else does it. This positions the Apple Watch as the smartwatch of choice for the very rich where exclusivity and expensive materials matter.
    kataran and HAWK like this.
    03-09-2015 11:12 PM
    In the high end watch bracket, I own a Breitling Navitimer, a Rolex Oyster Perpetual, a Rolex Submariner and an Omega Seamaster and I WOULD NOT buy an Apple Watch Edition at all! Not even if I had a spare $10k just kicking around. All of my other watches have appreciated in value, I seriously doubt the Edition will.
    ritesh and Speedygi like this.
    03-09-2015 11:42 PM
    There is a HUGE difference in price between a Rolex Submariner and Rolex Submariner 18K Gold.
    30 to 50 times the difference in price? No. Not like the Apple Watch Sport vs the Apple Watch Edition.
    03-10-2015 12:20 AM
    Wowwww I had no idea the cost of luxury watches.

http://www.authenticwatches.com/tag-...l#.VP54cYr3aJI

http://www.watchesonnet.com/tag-heue...754aAvW_8P8HAQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-10-2015 12:54 AM
    I think its important to note that Apple is not advertising the Apple Watch Edition as a piece of jewellery, but simply as a luxurious smartwatch for the affluent, one that is meant to be used just like anyone else would use an Apple Watch. This isnt like Rolex or Omega that specifically design their watches as jewellery with collectors value. The Edition is really just for people who have the money to spare and are interested in a smartwatch. Apple is specifically doing this, because no one else does it. This positions the Apple Watch as the smartwatch of choice for the very rich where exclusivity and expensive materials matter.
    I agree with you on this. The Watch Editions is the first High End, Luxury Smart-watch, and its not geared towards us. Its geared towards people who have high disposable income. People who can spend more in a day, than any of us make in a year.

Simply put, this is the Smart-watch is for the 1%
    03-10-2015 12:58 AM
    That's half of the price for a new car almost! NO! They don't even make it for $5,000 I bet!
    03-10-2015 05:52 AM
    I agree with you on this. The Watch Editions is the first High End, Luxury Smart-watch, and it’s not geared towards us. It’s geared towards people who have high disposable income. People who can spend more in a day, than any of us make in a year.

Simply put, this is the Smart-watch is for the 1%
    As a CPA, I focus on high income individuals and business entities. Few would spend this amount no matter what. It depends on what it is. Clothes? Sure but not on one item. Have to look good though.. Car? Same and more but it has a long life. Watch or other jewelry? Sure, but it's a long term asset.

Fine jewelry retains its value. This can't be said enough. These folks who buy a 40k watch know it's going to be worth that, if not more, later. It's considered a long term asset with a long useful life. The apple watch edition? It's an electronic device and I'd classify it as I would a computer with a short useful life. Very very few, regardless of income level, wants to throw away 10-20k.

It will be remarkable if Apple can convince enough people to buy the edition at those prices. It's a completely new category for Apple though. And most interesting is how they're using it to market the whole category and promote the idea of the Apple watch as fashion AND..get people to accept the prices of the steel watch. But it can backfire. I've seen a lot of resentment from even what I would consider apple fans who basically have been teased for months and had their hopes dashed. This isn't something they can hope one day to purchase...it's just forever out of their reach.

Will they resent Apple enough to switch to something else is the thing. For a company already seen as greedy, this didn't go over well. Apple basically just fired a nuke if you weren't quite sure before.

BTW... does anyone take Tim Cook seriously when he talks customer satisfaction ratings? Here he is from last year:

But what’s most important to us is that customers are enjoying their iPads and using them heavily. In a survey conducted in May by Changewave, iPad Air registered a 98 percent customer satisfaction rate, while iPad mini with Retina display received an astonishing 100 percent customer satisfaction rate.

And yesterday he said the iphones have a 99 percent customer sat rating. These numbers sound so unrealistic that it makes it very hard to trust anything else coming out of his mouth. It's better left unsaid IMO.
    03-10-2015 08:52 AM
    03-10-2015 09:32 AM
    As a CPA, I focus on high income individuals and business entities. Few would spend this amount no matter what. It depends on what it is. Clothes? Sure but not on one item. Have to look good though.. Car? Same and more but it has a long life. Watch or other jewelry? Sure, but it's a long term asset.

Fine jewelry retains its value. This can't be said enough. These folks who buy a 40k watch know it's going to be worth that, if not more, later. It's considered a long term asset with a long useful life. The apple watch edition? It's an electronic device and I'd classify it as I would a computer with a short useful life. Very very few, regardless of income level, wants to throw away 10-20k.

It will be remarkable if Apple can convince enough people to buy the edition at those prices. It's a completely new category for Apple though. And most interesting is how they're using it to market the whole category and promote the idea of the Apple watch as fashion AND..get people to accept the prices of the steel watch. But it can backfire. I've seen a lot of resentment from even what I would consider apple fans who basically have been teased for months and had their hopes dashed. This isn't something they can hope one day to purchase...it's just forever out of their reach.

Will they resent Apple enough to switch to something else is the thing. For a company already seen as greedy, this didn't go over well. Apple basically just fired a nuke if you weren't quite sure before.

BTW... does anyone take Tim Cook seriously when he talks customer satisfaction ratings? Here he is from last year:

But whats most important to us is that customers are enjoying their iPads and using them heavily. In a survey conducted in May by Changewave, iPad Air registered a 98 percent customer satisfaction rate, while iPad mini with Retina display received an astonishing 100 percent customer satisfaction rate.

And yesterday he said the iphones have a 99 percent customer sat rating. These numbers sound so unrealistic that it makes it very hard to trust anything else coming out of his mouth. It's better left unsaid IMO.
    As I said in another thread, Apple can afford to be greedy because they have their consumers by the throat. Those that want a smartwatch with top features have no other choice but to change platform, which may be few considering Apple's amazing brand. To use the watch, you got to have an Apple IPhone if you don't already have one (iPhone 5 and newer). Apple is perhaps not banking on Android consumers to jump ship, cuz it'll be at least $1,200 for them to pay up for an IPhone and the watch. Their strategy is to squeeze more lemon from Apple consumers, particularly loyalists, imo. I hope they can pull it off so the 2nd generation would be better.
    Last edited by Sammuel1973; 03-10-2015 at 06:46 PM.
    03-10-2015 10:34 AM
    Who wants to bet me that Kevin Michaluk buys one?
    shief24 and Prince_Poppycock like this.
    03-10-2015 12:23 PM
    Just one??
    03-10-2015 12:29 PM
    Just the Stainless Steel band alone seems a little pricey to me. I guess it's gonna be the Sports edition for the Ball & Chain, and myself ...
    Believe me it's not that we can't afford the more expensive models. it's the functionality that we want. I have a collection of watches, but the last year or so I've worn a Pebble for the functionality. I'm always getting inquiries and ooooh's & awwww's over my $99 piece of plastic ...
    ,000...-screen-shot-2015-03-10-9.26.51-am.png
    03-10-2015 12:45 PM
    I highly doubt the Apple Watch 1st gen will lose very much value. Just look at the first gen iPhone, keep it in decent condition, and you can sell it later. On top of that, I also doubt that it will be obsolete within the year. Apple purposely made the S1 powerful, I mean, they could have easily made it a 500 MHz piece of garbage, but instead it's basically a duel core 1 GHz. But the bands are ridiculously pricey. Some of them I kinda get, like the Milanese loop, but the link bracelet, in the words of the kids that go to my school "has no chill". In other words, it is way to expensive. That being said, I'm pretty sure we will see a price drop with the next model, or maybe before that
    03-10-2015 02:15 PM
    Didn't he basically say he was going to before the prices were even announced?
    03-10-2015 02:42 PM
    Yeah, he made a pretentious blog post about it a few weeks ago.
    Don't hate me because I want the gold Apple Watch Edition to cost $10,000 | iMore
    03-10-2015 02:51 PM
    I have to say that as someone who isn't actually interested in purchasing one of these things, I'm fascinated by the immediate reactions and the dynamics surrounding the apple watch as a whole. Apple has done a superb job in creating all the buzz and hype out of this.
    Sammuel1973 and HAWK like this.
    03-10-2015 03:00 PM
72 123