The emotional pull of the Apple Watch

ultravisitor

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
If I forget to charge my watch I have a brick. If I somehow lose my charging cable I have a brick...An expensive brick...

People will rationalize anything. People would be making excuses if they had to charge the watch twice a day. I have no doubt of that.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Same here. My phone gets plugged in every night and it's either on a bedside table or under my pillow.

LOL!!!!! I always fall asleep and roll over mine.....so much for these comments about "fragile" phones with "flawed" designs!!!!!

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
People will rationalize anything. People would be making excuses if they had to charge the watch twice a day. I have no doubt of that.

Right. Because setting a routine and preparing options for charging tech, any tech, is SUCH a rationalisation.....

ultravisitor

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Right. Because setting a routine and preparing options for charging tech, any tech, is SUCH a rationalisation.....

Actually, it is when watches have typically never even had to be plugged in. Anyone who wears a watch regularly knows that.

It's fine if people want an Apple Watch and don't have a problem with charging it every day. I get it. It's fun having toys. They can at least be honest, though, and admit that they're rationalizing for the problem of battery life and they would prefer it to be much better.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
There is still a routine with fine watches.

I own two Lum-Tec's that while not in a Rolex or Omega class, both cost over 1K. Each are self winders, however each watch for the most part involve a routine of unscrewing the crown and winding the watch manually at night in order to make it through the night without stopping.

There are auto winders you can buy that move the watch when you are not wearing it to keep it wound.

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree with some of the other commenters - it made me "feel" something, but it wasn't positive.

To me (a former iPhone 4 & 5 user with iPad, iMac and Macbook Air who has recently gone through Windows Phone and now Android), it made me "feel" as if Apple is growing more and more focused on luxury over purpose and function. I bought my iPad, iMac, and Macbook because they work well and do what I need them to do. I left iPhone because it didn't do what I needed a smartphone to do. The Apple watch seems to be more focused towards those who are looking for "another gadget" rather than actually making something in life, easier.

I guess as someone who has no interest in a smartwatch for the actual watch part, that the Apple watch wasn't designed for me, though - which is a shame. To me, overall this announcement (along with the less-useful new Macbook Air) is beginning to make me sad that the Apple that I love is no-longer producing products that actually make my life better, but rather just wants to be a luxury-fashion item. And marketing for that type of emotional attraction will not do much for those of us that value function-over-form.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree with some of the other commenters - it made me "feel" something, but it wasn't positive.

To me (a former iPhone 4 & 5 user with iPad, iMac and Macbook Air who has recently gone through Windows Phone and now Android), it made me "feel" as if Apple is growing more and more focused on luxury over purpose and function. I bought my iPad, iMac, and Macbook because they work well and do what I need them to do. I left iPhone because it didn't do what I needed a smartphone to do. The Apple watch seems to be more focused towards those who are looking for "another gadget" rather than actually making something in life, easier.

I guess as someone who has no interest in a smartwatch for the actual watch part, that the Apple watch wasn't designed for me, though - which is a shame. To me, overall this announcement (along with the less-useful new Macbook Air) is beginning to make me sad that the Apple that I love is no-longer producing products that actually make my life better, but rather just wants to be a luxury-fashion item. And marketing for that type of emotional attraction will not do much for those of us that value function-over-form.

So you enjoy digging your phone out of your pocket every time you want to triage a notification? :)

Smart watches give you back the time your phone takes from you everytime you use it. IMO

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually, it is when watches have typically never even had to be plugged in. Anyone who wears a watch regularly knows that.

It's fine if people want an Apple Watch and don't have a problem with charging it every day. I get it. It's fun having toys. They can at least be honest, though, and admit that they're rationalizing for the problem of battery life and they would prefer it to be much better.

Unless you're using an eco drive watch or a Rolex you're going to be consuming some power.
And yes I wear a watch.
I no more rationalise an Apple Watch than my Rolex or my Movado or my Timex or my Swatch. I want it and I get it. And to each there's a price. Whether it's replacing a battery on a watch or sending a Rolex in for yearly maintenance to maintain the insurance.
At some point, there is maintenance.
And yes my eco drive Citizen which supposedly never needed maintenance had to have the charging cells replaced.

So.....no rationalisation.

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
So you enjoy digging your phone out of your pocket every time you want to triage a notification? :)

Smart watches give you back the time your phone takes from you everytime you use it. IMO

Lol. You make it sound like its "oh so much of a chore" to have to do that. I have no problem with smart watches that provide notifications. I have eyed the Garmin VivoSmart and Microsoft Band to replace my Garmin Vivofit fitness band for that reason specifically. I just don't see that the Apple Watch provides any more value to me, than those would (Especially since I don't get the "expensive watch" fashion statement). Sure its cool to have Siri answer you on your wrist, but thats just a redundant gadget if I can already ask Siri from my phone that is accessible in 2 seconds of digging into my pocket (assuming I had an iPhone). Its kind of like buying a cell phone just to sit next to your computer so if you get an email, you can decide if its worth the 2 seconds to enter your password into the computer in order to respond or just respond via the cell phone. A bit redundant.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Just wait for morphie to come out with some power band that holds 70% more juice that can supply power on the go.... Wait.... I'm taking this to the bank immediately!

HAWK POWER BANDS
f8f1c95057fd6f07e148a7b0dd7b001e.jpg

"Cause you don't have TIME to charge"

cornettbr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if you designed that logo yourself or if it was pre-made but it's pretty sweet... I would just prefer more blue and white in it murrica 🇺🇸

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I feel Apple is trying very hard to turn this into something it isn't. The fine jewelry talk. The hires. The talk of changing the retail experience into a jewelry one. It's all thought out very well. Just try to remember it's not jewelry. Don't compare this to oranges or how people buy a rolex. That's what starts getting you to accept merely spending hundreds and worrying about which overpriced band to get. Even the bloggers are working overtime to rationalize all this talk and get you to accept it.

It's an accessory to the iphone that is worn on the wrist made to look like a watch. It will be worthless in less than 5 years.

I'm not saying don't buy it but don't get pulled into spending more than you should and start thinking of it as fashion (that's what Apple wants you to do). As a gadget,the features and what it can do seem cool. But the starting price is already more than enough for this gadget.

Exactly , let's stop comparing this to a mechanical watch that lasts for generations, this is just an extension of your iphone on the wrist and that's why Im going for the cheapest model, this watch seems so intriguing for me, I'm not sure I need it but the cool factor is undeniable... let's see how it goes but I also agree this launch seems so different and strange from previous ones....

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
That remains to be seen. I can see people actually using the watch to do things better done on an iphone. That will give the time right back.

or we'll end up using the watch as much as the phone... that's what Im afraid of, I use my iphone a lot, probably more than I should and I certainly don't need to spend more time interacting with another screen

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Exactly , let's stop comparing this to a mechanical watch that lasts for generations, this is just an extension of your iphone on the wrist and that's why Im going for the cheapest model, this watch seems so intriguing for me, I'm not sure I need it but the cool factor is undeniable... let's see how it goes but I also agree this launch seems so different and strange from previous ones....

The way I see it, it is the ultimate notifications center. It's push notifications for me in the sense that I'll see them right away. Blackberry users used to moan about wanting a blinking light to see alerts. I remember getting push email and not being able to go back to a system that checked my box every 30mins. This watch will, in a way a phone can't, alert me for notifications at a glance and not interrupt anyone. And reminders, calendar appts, and anything else I'm not thinking of that I can often miss with my phone on mute in my pocket.

This alone is worth it for me and enough to get me to finally wear something on my wrist. Anything else is icing on the cake that it could do. As a CPA, I can be managing several different engagements at the same time each in different stages. Throw in 2 kids, a wife, and I got enough to be reminded of. Just in time reminders.

So, no, I don't need a simple watch for just time. This I could use though. I just want it so it doesn't draw much attention to itself. I'd prefer it to simply work and blend in. I guess I'll find out later if it does that and works as good as it sounds on paper.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
or we'll end up using the watch as much as the phone... that's what Im afraid of, I use my iphone a lot, probably more than I should and I certainly don't need to spend more time interacting with another screen
From reading the Apple site, it does seem that we will still be pulling out our phone a whole lot, perhaps the same rate as if we didn't have the watch. The watch would give us a "preview", but to complete many tasks, we must pull out our phone, seems a bit redundant to me. The phone could do the same if not better than the watch. I do like the idea of notifications though, but the Pebble does that already and for less. I am still willing to give the watch a shot, hopefully playing with it would help me change my mind.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR