The emotional pull of the Apple Watch

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
In his TechCrunch article today called ?Selling a Wearable Apple?, Matthew Panzarino said, ?To put it simply, it's not about luxury, it's not about how it works?it's about how it makes you feel. Apple is in the process of creating and selling a new class of product that is based on feeling.?

Do you agree? If so, has Apple succeeded in making you feel a particular way? What way, and how did they pull it off? Does the Apple Watch continue in that vein or not, or have the Apple folks actually stepped up the emotional quotient with it?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's possible, and that's probably why I'm not planning on purchasing one. I simply don't "feel" like it's something I want. I know for a fact that I don't "need" it...:)

Seriously, Apple did not make me "feel" like purchasing any of their products, although I did "feel" good about the products I bought. They provided simple, elegant, powerful and well-supported devices that I found more suitable to my computing and mobile usage than its competitors. It was "logic" and not "feeling"....:)

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
I agree with you both. We do have to put some logic into our decisions to make a purchase, especially a rather pricey purchase that we would not truly die without. I also get the understanding that Apple has consciously engineered a certain feeling into each of its products, and that they aren't shy or secretive about that intention either. The feeling I have about the Apple Watch is about the same feeling I had with my first iPhone, which was a sense of awe and wonder. Maybe we are jaded and we expect no less, which is why I also get the feeling that Apple has ramped up their efforts to have as much impact as anybody's first iPhone when they first try on an Apple Watch, if not more of an impact.

Last edited:

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
It's possible, and that's probably why I'm not planning on purchasing one. I simply don't "feel" like it's something I want. I know for a fact that I don't "need" it...:)

Seriously, Apple did not make me "feel" like purchasing any of their products, although I did "feel" good about the products I bought. They provided simple, elegant, powerful and well-supported devices that I found more suitable to my computing and mobile usage than its competitors. It was "logic" and not "feeling"....:)

I know you still gonna buy it! :D

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I feel Apple is trying very hard to turn this into something it isn't. The fine jewelry talk. The hires. The talk of changing the retail experience into a jewelry one. It's all thought out very well. Just try to remember it's not jewelry. Don't compare this to oranges or how people buy a rolex. That's what starts getting you to accept merely spending hundreds and worrying about which overpriced band to get. Even the bloggers are working overtime to rationalize all this talk and get you to accept it.

It's an accessory to the iphone that is worn on the wrist made to look like a watch. It will be worthless in less than 5 years.

I'm not saying don't buy it but don't get pulled into spending more than you should and start thinking of it as fashion (that's what Apple wants you to do). As a gadget,the features and what it can do seem cool. But the starting price is already more than enough for this gadget.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

I can honestly say that the iPhone 5c did definitely compel me to try Apple products. Even the watch seems to be making me interested in buying a watch for the first time.

I usually am a spec chaser, so being interested based on feelings is unique to me.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I am a watch person and a tech person so I am intrigued. I am hoping that Verizon carries it so I can get a discount lol.

Sent from my iPhone 6

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'll wait and see where the watch goes as far being useful for me. Initially I thought the iPad wouldn't be useful for me but from app development it proved to be very useful.
Same maybe true for the  Watch. I just don't know yet and I still may not know after the event.
I'm looking forward to what Apple has to present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I agree with you both. We do have to put some logic into our decisions to make a purchase, especially a rather pricey purchase that we would not truly die without. I also get the understanding that Apple has consciously engineered a certain feeling into each of its products, and that they aren't shy or secretive about that intention either. The feeling I have about the Apple Watch is about the same feeling I had with my first iPhone, which was a sense of awe and wonder. Maybe we are jaded and we expect no less, which is why I also get the feeling that Apple has ramped up their efforts to have as much impact as anybody's first iPhone when they first try on an Apple Watch, if not more of an impact.

The iphone had an effect on me and I was already using smartphones that did what the iphone did. What the iphone did though was just much better, ipod, safari, capacitive multitouch. I can only imagine the effect it had on the dumbphone users who at the time were much the majority of phone users and were ignorant of what a Palm could already do. But even after using the first iphone, it just didn't do enough things that my Palm did so I went back to the treo. The first iphone wasn't a smartphone...no third party apps.

I don't see the Apple watch having that same effect. The iphone was just one of those rare things in life that simply dazzle. But the watch does seem similar in that it's not fully baked. If the iphone needed third party apps, then the watch needs independence (from the iphone). Imagine the watch being subsidized with a built in sim. I could easily switch spending from a phone to this and use an ipad mini for the big screen needs.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I expect to want it.

I've claimed before I wouldn't buy upgrades and given way. Suspect it's the same for me this time too.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Nothing in the keynote made me want this watch...my wife wanted it BEFORE it was even teased for fitness stuff, and after the keynote, she said her desire is about the same (except she laughed out loud at the cost of the gold model saying the price estimate was beyond what she even over estimated for it).

All that said...emotional pull? I'm sure there ARE people out there that will want the thing because of such. Thankfully I don't know any of those people personally.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I like the idea of not missing calls but they make it really difficult to get behind. Give me a leather band with the 350 watch. I don't care about the metal or sapphire.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I like the idea of not missing calls but they make it really difficult to get behind. Give me a leather band with the 350 watch. I don't care about the metal or sapphire.

This was my wife's first response too...she wondered why she couldn't just get a high end band on the cheaper aluminum model (as I don't see any reports that say they are interchangeable).

Cap_172R

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I can honestly say that the iPhone 5c did definitely compel me to try Apple products. Even the watch seems to be making me interested in buying a watch for the first time.

I usually am a spec chaser, so being interested based on feelings is unique to me.

Yeah, i wasn't interested in having a watch (as I have a few aviator watches I love) but this is the first one that is making me want one... Trying to figure out which one i want now...

Cap_172R

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I thought they would've been interchangeable... but didn't see anything about that..would imagine that would have been a highlight if it were the case...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR