The Watch just hasn't done anything for me. I'm looking forward to retiring my iP 5 , and getting the iP 6s Plus. That's my excitement. September here I come!!

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)
    03-09-2015 10:16 PM
    Grrr I'm perturbed by the high prices and I won't be getting the one I want (black steel) but I will be getting one! I'm already hooked, and I haven't even gotten a chance to touch the thing yet!!!!! It seems like the revelations made today didn't change the opinions of most about the Apple Watch(es). We are all mostly going with our gut reactions (or original, logical conclusions ).
    03-10-2015 01:33 AM
    I've got to say that it didn't work on me. I felt very unfazed by the Watch presentation this morning, which is unexpected considering I have been tinkering with that Watch calibrator webpage a lot last week and had my mind firmly set on getting one. But at that point I was still hopeful that Apple would in typical fashion surprise me this morning with something that really makes me want it, wish turns out didn't happen. For example, I'm into running and sports big time, so they had my intention when they boasted 'here's a film how it helped Christy Turlington Burns run her marathon', and then that film plus on stage interview is just so devoid of any content that I wonder 'so how did it help you then?'. Tracked your pace and heartbeat? Terrific. But that's not a gamechanger, let alone worth such an expensively shot video clip. Was very excited about the watch, but right now it would be the first Apple device in my collection that I wouldn't know how to justify to anyone. So nah, I pass and wait for the second/third gen.
    03-10-2015 03:57 AM
    lol what a hippie.
    03-10-2015 09:52 AM
    Luxury items , by definition, are based on satisfying irrational emotional desire rather then rational need.
    Wearables may well develop into necessary tools but currently they all are luxuries providing self satisfying emotional pleasure as their primary reason to exist.
    03-10-2015 10:47 AM
    Luxury items , by definition, are based on satisfying irrational emotional desire rather then rational need.
    Wearables may well develop into necessary tools but currently they all are luxuries providing self satisfying emotional pleasure as their primary reason to exist.
    The  Watch will also return some of the time you lose by constantly pulling the iPhone out to check stuff. Now you can simply glance at your wrist for notifications, the weather, query Siri to send text or check something on the Internet, or even just check the time!
    03-10-2015 12:18 PM
    The  Watch will also return some of the time you lose by constantly pulling the iPhone out to check stuff. Now you can simply glance at your wrist for notifications, the weather, query Siri to send text or check something on the Internet, or even just check the time!
    That remains to be seen. I can see people actually using the watch to do things better done on an iphone. That will give the time right back.
    03-10-2015 03:31 PM
    Literally laughed out loud at the bolded part.
    03-10-2015 03:39 PM
    I would agree by that to a certain extent. You either buy something with your head of with your heart. I tend to buy a lot of stuff with my heart and for example my car was a heart purchase as I could have bought another new and perfectly serviceable (and probably more practical) car for a tenth of the price.

I think the Apple Watch will, or at least could, be a purchase that spans both of those though. No doubt it is an emotional purchase as no-one really needs a smartwatch but the practicalities of this thing could be undeniable. Here's hoping the things like smart navigation and notifications are an actual rather than a perceived time saver.

As with all things, prolonged hands-on time with the Watch should provide the answers on an individual basis.
    03-10-2015 03:41 PM
    But in the end I feel people will realize the watch has flaws....flaws like not even lasting a day in battery life. Who wants a watch that doesn't even last a single day? I know I wouldn't...
    eyecrispy likes this.
    03-10-2015 04:20 PM
    One of the biggest flaws I see is the short battery charge, rendering the alarm function virtually useless. I can set my Pebble alarm to wake me in the morning but if I'm charging my Apple watch this is a non-starter. Sure you can set an alarm during the day, but isn't that what a reminder does? I'm waiting for the Pebble Time, since my Pebble/iPhone combination has served me well.
    03-10-2015 04:53 PM
    One of the biggest flaws I see is the short battery charge, rendering the alarm function virtually useless. I can set my Pebble alarm to wake me in the morning but if I'm charging my Apple watch this is a non-starter. Sure you can set an alarm during the day, but isn't that what a reminder does? I'm waiting for the Pebble Time, since my Pebble/iPhone combination has served me well.
    I absolutely second this opinion, because my Pebble has never failed me once in all the time I had it. It is really the most viable smartwatch imho alongside the Moto360.
    03-10-2015 04:56 PM
    But in the end I feel people will realize the watch has flaws....flaws like not even lasting a day in battery life. Who wants a watch that doesn't even last a single day? I know I wouldn't...
    Well assuming you sleep, 18 hours is all day.
    BreakingKayfabe and Les74 like this.
    03-10-2015 05:15 PM
    Maybe Mophie will make a battery case for it
    Speedygi likes this.
    03-10-2015 05:42 PM
    I plug in my phone while I sleep and it's my alarm.
    It's part of the bedtime routine....take off makeup, brush teeth, let dogs out and come back in, lock doors, plug in phone, get in bed. I'll simply change it to plug in phone AND  Watch.
    No issue there.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    03-11-2015 05:21 AM
    I plug in my phone while I sleep and it's my alarm.
    It's part of the bedtime routine....take off makeup, brush teeth, let dogs out and come back in, lock doors, plug in phone, get in bed. I'll simply change it to plug in phone AND  Watch.
    No issue there.

Same here. My phone gets plugged in every night and it's either on a bedside table or under my pillow.
    03-11-2015 06:50 AM
    I used to plug in at bedtime, but at some point started charging right before bedtime. I think the power went out one night during a storm, and my phone was only at 31%. IDK. But I won't have an  to worry with.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮
    03-11-2015 09:25 AM
    Well assuming you sleep, 18 hours is all day.
    If I forget to charge my watch I have a brick. If I somehow lose my charging cable I have a brick...An expensive brick...
    03-11-2015 10:32 AM
    If I forget to charge my watch I have a brick. If I somehow lose my charging cable I have a brick...An expensive brick...
    People will rationalize anything. People would be making excuses if they had to charge the watch twice a day. I have no doubt of that.
    Speedygi likes this.
    03-11-2015 10:40 AM
    Same here. My phone gets plugged in every night and it's either on a bedside table or under my pillow.
    LOL!!!!! I always fall asleep and roll over mine.....so much for these comments about "fragile" phones with "flawed" designs!!!!!

03-11-2015 11:21 AM
    People will rationalize anything. People would be making excuses if they had to charge the watch twice a day. I have no doubt of that.
    Right. Because setting a routine and preparing options for charging tech, any tech, is SUCH a rationalisation.....

Les74 likes this.
    03-11-2015 11:23 AM
    Right. Because setting a routine and preparing options for charging tech, any tech, is SUCH a rationalisation.....
    Actually, it is when watches have typically never even had to be plugged in. Anyone who wears a watch regularly knows that.

It's fine if people want an Apple Watch and don't have a problem with charging it every day. I get it. It's fun having toys. They can at least be honest, though, and admit that they're rationalizing for the problem of battery life and they would prefer it to be much better.
    Speedygi likes this.
    03-11-2015 12:01 PM
    There is still a routine with fine watches.

I own two Lum-Tec's that while not in a Rolex or Omega class, both cost over 1K. Each are self winders, however each watch for the most part involve a routine of unscrewing the crown and winding the watch manually at night in order to make it through the night without stopping.

There are auto winders you can buy that move the watch when you are not wearing it to keep it wound.
    03-11-2015 12:12 PM
    It makes me feel old because I almost don't get it.
    03-11-2015 12:33 PM
    I agree with some of the other commenters - it made me "feel" something, but it wasn't positive.

To me (a former iPhone 4 & 5 user with iPad, iMac and Macbook Air who has recently gone through Windows Phone and now Android), it made me "feel" as if Apple is growing more and more focused on luxury over purpose and function. I bought my iPad, iMac, and Macbook because they work well and do what I need them to do. I left iPhone because it didn't do what I needed a smartphone to do. The Apple watch seems to be more focused towards those who are looking for "another gadget" rather than actually making something in life, easier.

I guess as someone who has no interest in a smartwatch for the actual watch part, that the Apple watch wasn't designed for me, though - which is a shame. To me, overall this announcement (along with the less-useful new Macbook Air) is beginning to make me sad that the Apple that I love is no-longer producing products that actually make my life better, but rather just wants to be a luxury-fashion item. And marketing for that type of emotional attraction will not do much for those of us that value function-over-form.
    03-11-2015 12:52 PM
65 123