NFC chip in Apple Watch?

anon(6173141)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Is there anything official indicating that the Apple Watch has an NFC chip? I know it supports Apple Pay, but I can't find anything to indicate that it's validated by an NFC chip in the watch itself or if it relies on a link back to the iPhone NFC chip.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
An NFC chip is needed to communicate with the new NFC wireless terminals. Apple has said officially that the iPhone 5s will support Apple Pay, and it DOESN'T have an NFC chip. QED, the Apple Watch does.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Enter "Apple Pay supported devices" into Google search, select the Apple link, go to the bottom of the page to see the 5s, 5c, and 5 are all supported with the Apple Watch. iMore won't allow me to post the link until I have 10 posts.

Nemesisprimed

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Good call, that seems like a reasonable deduction. Still seems strange that there's nothing on the Apple website confirming the NFC chip.

If you look through the iPhone section of Apple's website, you'll see there is no mention of NFC AT ALL, not even on the  Pay page. It's consistent with Apple highlighting features rather than technological components that make the features (and as a closed hardware component, in this case). I think the only place you'll see the words "NFC" at on the Tech Specs page, and even then, it's just three letters nested in a list somewhere.