Apple Watch - what happened?

IamMasterChat

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
First off, I am not here to be a troll. I just want an actual discussion from the die hard Apple fans about the Apple Watch.

In the forums here and on other sites, the general consensus from the Apple faithful was that Apple was behind on the smartwatch market because they were going to wait and do it right, fixing all of the problems of the Android based watches.

So, my question is, why didn't that happen?
We still have the same giant square on a wrist, with no revolutionary features to speak of. Apple Watch does everything a Samsung or Android Wear will do, but there is no killer Apple only feature.
Perhaps they should have waited longer.

Allow me to dissect your concern.

First. May you elaborate on the "all of the problems of the Android based watches."? The statement is vague enough not to come up with specific discussion.

Second. What are you implying on your question, "Why didn't that happen?." Apple has failed with their iWatch?

Third. Is there a certainty that iWatch does not have a revolutionary feature? I supposed no detailed specs were disseminated yet.

LandRovers

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
How can there be any real verdict on this, until we try it on our own wrists? The word of a tech editor can only go so far. (no offense iMore and other tech sites.) And as far as "revolutionary features" We haven't had the UI on our wrists yet. android wear is being criticized as "half-baked" and "not polished enough". Do you think Apple would spend three years on one product and NOT nail the UI?
First off, I am not here to be a troll. I just want an actual discussion from the die hard Apple fans about the Apple Watch.

In the forums here and on other sites, the general consensus from the Apple faithful was that Apple was behind on the smartwatch market because they were going to wait and do it right, fixing all of the problems of the Android based watches.

So, my question is, why didn't that happen?
We still have the same giant square on a wrist, with no revolutionary features to speak of. Apple Watch does everything a Samsung or Android Wear will do, but there is no killer Apple only feature.
Perhaps they should have waited longer.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I think the Apple Watch is going to be great. It has awesome styling and the apps look pretty too. I think as far as the pricing goes, it could be a tad lower but I am sure they will sell tons! I am def going to get one when they come out next year!

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
it is not just for zooming. It's also used to navigate through the device. Have you used the Watch before to be able to make such a definitive statement? Have you used the Watch before? According to whom? Who in their right mind would try so hard to convey his personal preferences on how a device that he did not make should have been? Yet, here you are.

Now you're being silly. None of the Blackberry devices I've owned, including the pearl, were ever damaged. Having said that, why do some smartphones get scratched and nicked while inside a protective casing?

Okay, but which company will sell more, in your humble opinion? If it turns out to be Apple, will you man up and admit that your preferences didn't add up to a hill of beans and Consumers, as a whole, thought otherwise?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxM-rac7vb4

Here?s a video by Margques Brownlee, a tech enthusiast like myself. He?s quite objective in many of his reviews. Like me, he applauds the versatility and selection of the bands, but feels weird about the knob or Digital Crown, equating it to the Blackberry Pearl. And yes, I did own one prior to any touchscreen smartphones.

Regarding if the Apple Watch will sell more, it depends. Since Apple users are limited only to Apple?s ecosystem, would 5% of those users buy it and consider a success? Maybe 10%? And how about Android converters? Has Apple shared its sale projection? I don?t know.

Mummer43. I have owned 2 smartwatches, currently using the Samsung Gear 2. I believe the Samsung Gear S can satisfy your needs in terms of standalone, health/fitness checking, and text/email all without being tethered to the main phone. Of course, like Apple, it doesn?t work with other non-Samsung phones.

Last edited:

jonnaver

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
That sounds like saying "with all due respect" right before being disrespectful.... :D

Agreed. "I am not here to troll" rates with Nixon's "I am not a crook" speech. Like with a politician says "in all honesty". Not buying it.

On the other hand, If he had NOT said that, do you seriously think someone wouldn't have called him one anyway? I think it's more probable he recognized the likelihood that some fanboys would have jumped on him whether he added that disclaimer or not and chose to attempt to fend them off, however unsuccessful that appears to have turned out

mummer43

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
It is for me. I always wear a watch and carry my phone with me AT ALL TIMES. I need the phone for work, so it goes with me wherever I go and I am of the generation that likes watches and always wear one when out of the house. I even collect them, I have a number of Breitlings, Rolexes, Omegas and Tags and can't wait to add an Apple watch to the list. I would have preferred a round face but the Apple Watch looks like a nicely put together bit of kit that will compliment my wardrobe perfectly with the right strap.

I normally have my phone with me as well... When I'm not working out. Having to carry those massive phones with you on a run or other such activity is far from convenient. I wouldn't call this device revolutionary, but that's just me. And I'm an apple guy. I'm also a watch guy, which is why I was hoping to love it. Sadly, I don't. I do, however love my new Omega Speedmaster.

oroloi

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
what happened?...................They announced the Apple Watch Sep 9th and it should be available early 2015.

Myself and MANY others are excited with the news and can't wait to get the Apple Watch.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I sell these things daily and guess what people are saying about the gear? It's confusing! The setup process doesn't make sense.

You download apps from where? How do you set it up?

Or device questions. Why does the phone measure my heart rate and steps better than the watch?

So what people fail to understand about apple is... The are innovators even when it's not clear as day. They make it easy for the end user.

Yesterday... I sell a lady a memory card for her Galaxy s5 that had no internal space. I set it to transfer all her media to the card... She then leaves. Hour later, she calls in to find out if it worked because she saw an error message and the low storage message was still there. She had to restart the phone for the message to go away. That's it!

I let someone leave with an apple product, I don't hear from them unless they want to know about apps they should download. I sell android, and I'm almost guaranteed to see them back soon.

I'm almost positive that after the original set up on the iPhone and apple watch, I won't be hearing from them like I would if I sold them a gear and Galaxy.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don’t think the Op was questioning the software and the apple eco system not working together. He was more concerned about the look of the watch it self, even
when I read Apple hired Swiss Tec’s to help innovate the watch I was excited, I was thinking styles like the Explorer, Omega Deville, Submariner along those line that is why I was disappointed in the Apple watch that square modern look just is not for me.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Lol I know but apple disappointed me with their attempt at a smart watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure it disappointed a lot of people. No device is for everyone and that's why it's always good to have choices. When one doesn't fit the bill for you, get one that does. It's really that simple.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Apple has me interested in the watch big time. I haven't worn a watch in years and I always wore a watch pre iPhone.

The fact that it's not dropping until 2015 is smart on Apples part because I believe that there are many folks like myself that the idea of the Apple watch is stewing in them and will want one when it drops.

If they would have released Apple watch same time as iPhone 6 it wouldn't be enough time to convert the "I don't want it folks" like myself. As they days go by I'm leaning more and more to I want it.
I feel like the Apple watch is a extension of the iPhone like the iPhone was a extension of the Mac.

Reading a article on Apple watch possibilities for musical applications definitely peaked my interest. Such as a metronome tempo being transmitted through the watch. A tempo felt instead of being heard.

The fact that it's a Apple device it falls right into my device chain. It doesn't have to be better or slicker than a Samsung watch.

The digital crown could prove to be a plus for certain tasks and apps that could be developed. There are a lot of devices where a physical knob still works.

I think the apps to come for the Apple watch will make it revolutionary or not like the iPad.

The app devs will look at Apple watch apps as a extension to their iPad/iPhone and Mac apps.

It seems now the innovation is not necessarily the device but what you can do with the device. This is not to say that there is not or will never be hardware innovation.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Apple has me interested in the watch big time. I haven't worn a watch in years and I always wore a watch pre iPhone.

The fact that it's not dropping until 2015 is smart on Apples part because I believe that there are many folks like myself that the idea of the Apple watch is stewing in them and will want one when it drops.

If they would have released Apple watch same time as iPhone 6 it wouldn't be enough time to convert the "I don't want it folks" like myself. As they days go by I'm leaning more and more to I want it.
I feel like the Apple watch is a extension of the iPhone like the iPhone was a extension of the Mac.

Reading a article on Apple watch possibilities for musical applications definitely peaked my interest. Such as a metronome tempo being transmitted through the watch. A tempo felt instead of being heard.

The fact that it's a Apple device it falls right into my device chain. It doesn't have to be better or slicker than a Samsung watch.

The digital crown could prove to be a plus for certain tasks and apps that could be developed. There are a lot of devices where a physical knob still works.

I think the apps to come for the Apple watch will make it revolutionary or not like the iPad.

The app devs will look at Apple watch apps as a extension to their iPad/iPhone and Mac apps.

It seems now the innovation is not necessarily the device but what you can do with the device. This is not to say that there is not or will never be hardware innovation.

I agree with all of this

cashmonee

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I think many of you actually miss the OP's point, or at least the way I interpret it.

The iPod, iPhone, and iPad are the big hits since 2000, and usually what people refer to when they talk about the current legacy of Apple. With the iPod and iPhone it was obvious from the start that they were game changers. Maybe not complete, but definitely a statement of the way mp3 players and smartphones should be made. The iPad was less evident, but still totally different than any tablet released to that point. Media at the launch stated clearly that the iPad was something you had to use to understand, and that was quickly verified by people using it, then "getting" it.

With the Apple Watch, it screams "me too!" It looks and operates like everything else out there. The features are the same. It doesn't say to the existing market, "Hey, this is the way to do it." It isn't unique or different. It really is a me too product. That is something we haven't seen from Apple, arguably, ever. And the tech media is saying the same. Even Andy Ihnatko of MacBreak Weekly has said that it doesn't really do much to differentiate itself, and that he is hoping there is more to be said on the watch from Apple. That doesn't mean it won't be successful, or sell a ton of units, but it does beg the question, is the era of Apple coming to a close?

Full disclosure, I am a huge Apple fan. I only own Macs. Have owned every iPhone, and have never been tempted by another. I am an Apple supporter through and through. However, I am not blind, and I do not see the watch in the way many of the various Apple forum users do.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I know a ton of folks myself included that thought the same of the iPad. We looked at it as a giant iPhone.

Now these same folks myself included depend on the iPad for work as musicians.
The majority of this innovation is the results of what devs have done with the iPad. Having access to a roomful of keyboards all in a iPad. I could go on and on with examples.
I have no idea how the Apple Watch will be used or could be used. Their are folks that do just that, think of stuff to do with these devices app wise.
I'm curious to see what devs may do with this device.

The OP's Title says "What Happened?" With device development it's wait and see what happens.

These devices seem to be more about evolution than revolution.
You have people doing everything with iPads from storing weekly dinner recipes to tuning Concert Grand Pianos. This is all possible with app development and of course with the device becoming more powerful. It very possible the same range of tasks could be done with a Apple Watch in the future and the future in mobile device terms is a few years.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73