Apple Watch - what happened?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
But you're making assumptions about a product that is not even available to the public yet. These "If"s are moot.

Didn't the OP not make reference to a "general consensus"? Isn't he making an assumption that a majority of people are unhappy with the Watch? Aren't you going along with that assumption by chiming in on what YOU thought the design should have like?

EEZ123

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
How was the iPad better when it came out? Or the iPhone? What could they do that others couldn't? There were already existing products that were similar in both those categories now those products categories are mainstream. I really don't have enough experience with current smart watches, but I have not seen too many smart watches from the current crop with favorable reviews out there. I own a Pebble currently and I love it even though it has many limitations. I also have the Hot Smart Watch (if it every gets here, it may be vapor ware at this point) on order and it can do a little more than the Pebble, but not nearly as much as the Apple Watch. Making something innovative can include taking something that is out there and making it better and easier for the masses to use. I would say having NFC on your wrist is one example. Once you put the Watch on your wrist, you have your mobile payment system on your wrist, you don't even need to get your phone out of your pocket. Many of the way things work with apple products are small and simple, and yes its a closed ecosystem unlike Android, but obviously the general public likes simplicity over complexity and wants something that works well the majority of the time without thinking about it, tweaking it or creating complications to make it work the way you want and work intuitively.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
When Apple unveiled the iPhone, these above pictured phones were the most popular in the market at the time.
IPhone changed the game.
Perhaps I was expecting more of the same from the watch.

So now you can either bust out your crystal ball and see the future or wait for it to happen. But you cannot state without certainty that Apple did not do the exact same thing with the WATCH. At least not yet.

How many tablets were attempted prior to iPad? Let’s wait and see what happens, shall we?

pwrof3

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
So now you can either bust out your crystal ball and see the future or wait for it to happen. But you cannot state without certainty that Apple did not do the exact same thing with the WATCH. At least not yet.

How many tablets were attempted prior to iPad? Let’s wait and see what happens, shall we?

From a design standpoint, they certainly aren't game changing. Look at those phones in my picture and then look at phones now. All because of Apple.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 64279
When Apple unveiled the iPhone, these above pictured phones were the most popular in the market at the time.
IPhone changed the game.
Perhaps I was expecting more of the same from the watch.

Perhaps, but still, let's recall the last year's launch of the iPhone 5C. It was not innovative, it had a plastic casing, and was basically a repackaged iPhone 5, and yet, millions of them sold. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus isn't innovative, and some call it fugly, and yet, millions of each will be sold. Having said that, how important is being innovative as opposed to being successful and profitable?

ecr80

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i remember the iPad was first announced, how it was mocked by people, and look at it now. the same thing will happen here.

mummer43

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
The fact that it needs to be tethered to the iphone is a deal breaker for me. My main reason for wanting on would be to use as a fitness device. I'd want to use it when I run as a GPS to tell me hiw far I've gone, my pace, my avg. speed, etc. I'd also expect it to cross over to other activities such as biking and swimming. I'd also want to use it to send and receive text messages. However, having to also carry my phone while doing these activities defeats the purpose of a wearable device. I have a Suunto watch that does all of the things I mentioned, minus the text messages, without the need to carry my phone.

If apple can put all that together, plus he ability to receive texts as well as connect to wireless earphones the I'd be interested. I don't need photos. I don't need to send my heart rate to my friends, I don't need the ability to make little drawings, I need a device that stands on it's own without the need carry my phone. Apple failed as far as I'm concerned.

pwrof3

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
The fact that it needs to be tethered to the iphone is a deal breaker for me. My main reason for wanting on would be to use as a fitness device. I'd want to use it when I run as a GPS to tell me hiw far I've gone, my pace, my avg. speed, etc. I'd also expect it to cross over to other activities such as biking and swimming. I'd also want to use it to send and receive text messages. However, having to also carry my phone while doing these activities defeats the purpose of a wearable device. I have a Suunto watch that does all of the things I mentioned, minus the text messages, without the need to carry my phone.

If apple can put all that together, plus he ability to receive texts as well as connect to wireless earphones the I'd be interested. I don't need photos. I don't need to send my heart rate to my friends, I don't need the ability to make little drawings, I need a device that stands on it's own without the need carry my phone. Apple failed as far as I'm concerned.

I agree somewhat. Why have a watch when you need to have the phone in your pocket the entire time? Since you're coming from a fitness perspective, having to have the phone attached to an armband or bouncing around in running shorts pockets does seem less than ideal.

You may want to wait a while and see what Microsoft has to offer. Yeah, I know, Microsoft isn't popular around here, but they are actually working on a device that focuses on health and fitness and will work with all of the phone platforms. Not sure if you'd actually have to have the pone with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

EEZ123

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
I have used my iPhone while I train for triathlons for years. The only thing I can't use it for is swim training. I like the security of having the phone available in case of emergency, for music, I need it with me because I must take work call, and I use several apps such as Strava, Runkeeper, nike run etc. So for me its great. I also have the garmin 310XT and I use the iphone/pebble more than my Garmin.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
But how is the Apple Watch any better than others can't already do?

Why is there always that person that looks too much into everything. My new Movado isn't very innovative either, but it's nice & the quality is impeccable & best of all...it's my preference. Same with this. People will love it because it utilizes features specific to their preferred device. Just like the Samsung Gear. It probably doesn't interest you if you're using a device other than Samsung.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
According to whom? Just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean a majority feels the same way. Why?
Digital Crown, imo, is unnecessary and archaic because there is no need to zoom anything on an already small screen. Having that physical dial is clumsy and inefficient. By the time you turn it to zoom and then tap to select your target, mind as well fetch out your phone. A smartwatch is supposed to make things more quickly and easily via swipes or voice commands. Who in the own right mind would want to zoom to look at a pict on a tiny screen? When your hands are tied up, voice commands or swipes are far more efficient then to turn a dial.

Having the Digital Crown can cause wear and tear to its mechanism down the road, like the “Pearl” of the Blackberry Pearl phone.

Samsung and Google got it better, imo. They really highlight easy swipes and their respective voice commands.

Furthermore, the Digital Crown button looks way too archaic. Apple is known for simple, clean, and modern designs, that knob thing, although it looks classy, makes the whole look not modern at all, to me. Samsung Gear S, on the other hand, looks very modern and futuristic…and DIFFERENT, and can do way more than the Apple Watch.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Digital Crown, imo, is unnecessary and archaic because there is no need to zoom anything on an already small screen. Having that physical dial is clumsy and inefficient. By the time you turn it to zoom and then tap to select your target, mind as well fetch out your phone. A smartwatch is supposed to make things more quickly and easily via swipes or voice commands. Who in the own right mind would want to zoom to look at a pict on a tiny screen? When your hands are tied up, voice commands or swipes are far more efficient then to turn a dial.

Having the Digital Crown can cause wear and tear to its mechanism down the road, like the “Pearl” of the Blackberry Pearl phone.

Samsung and Google got it better, imo. They really highlight easy swipes and their respective voice commands.

Furthermore, the Digital Crown button looks way too archaic. Apple is known for simple, clean, and modern designs, that knob thing, although it looks classy, makes the whole look not modern at all, to me. Samsung Gear S, on the other hand, looks very modern and futuristic…and DIFFERENT, and can do way more than the Apple Watch.

Vote with your wallet. If "Samsung and Google got it better" is your mantra, why are you even here? Go buy what you think will work in your situation. Opinions are just that - opinions. They aren’t universal facts. So buy what you want and allow others to buy what they want. I see this constant picking and "mine is better than yours" garbage as nothing more than juvenile insecurity. But rather than being happy with what you have, you want to tear down the options.

Last edited:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I know, Microsoft isn't popular around here, but they are actually working on a device that focuses on health and fitness and will work with all of the phone platforms. Not sure if you'd actually have to have the pone with you.

Funny thing is, everybody is always working on something. The winners are the ones that deliver.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Why is there always that person that looks too much into everything. My new Movado isn't very innovative either, but it's nice & the quality is impeccable & best of all...it's my preference. Same with this. People will love it because it utilizes features specific to their preferred device. Just like the Samsung Gear. It probably doesn't interest you if you're using a device other than Samsung.
I guess I expect too much out of Apple. They have the benefit of knowing the competition, so I was hoping they would have produced something more compelling with another WOW factor. Doesn’t matter if I’m a big Samsung fan or not. What motivate me on a smartwatch are these things: modern & clean design, quickness & efficiency, stand alone, good battery life, and price.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Vote with your wallet. If "Samsung and Google got it better" is your mantra, why are you even here? Go buy what you think will work in your situation. Opinions are just that - opinions. They aren’t universal facts. So buy what you want and allow others to buy what they want. I see this constant picking and "mine is better than yours" garbage as nothing more that insecurity. But rather than being happy with what you have, you want to tear down the options.
Well, this is a discussion board, is it not? We all are here to discuss, debate, and dissect various viewpoints, no? No harm intended.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I guess I expect too much out of Apple. They have the benefit of knowing the competition, so I was hoping they would have produced something more compelling with another WOW factor. Doesn?t matter if I?m a big Samsung fan or not. What motivate me on a smartwatch are these things: modern & clean design, quickness & efficiency, stand alone, good battery life, and price.

Understandable but someone else may feel these things are already evident. Different strokes for different folks. Maybe the next iteration will be better for you.

Edit: BTW...I also have a GS5 & wouldn't even consider the Gear because it's not very fashion forward. You & so many others love it. It's just a difference in opinions.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro