Apple Watch - what happened?

pwrof3

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
First off, I am not here to be a troll. I just want an actual discussion from the die hard Apple fans about the Apple Watch.

In the forums here and on other sites, the general consensus from the Apple faithful was that Apple was behind on the smartwatch market because they were going to wait and do it right, fixing all of the problems of the Android based watches.

So, my question is, why didn't that happen?
We still have the same giant square on a wrist, with no revolutionary features to speak of. Apple Watch does everything a Samsung or Android Wear will do, but there is no killer Apple only feature.
Perhaps they should have waited longer.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
We still have the same giant square on a wrist, with no revolutionary features to speak of. Apple Watch does everything a Samsung or Android Wear will do, but there is no killer Apple only feature.

First edition of it, for one thing. And its looks grow on you, when you look at the different bands available.

I'd've preferred a circle, but it passes the "will I throw money at them for it" test.

(Not everything does. I've got a 5s and an iPad Air, and I'm going to stand pat with those this year, and possibly next year too.)

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
That sounds like saying "with all due respect" right before being disrespectful.... :D
I got to agree with Pwrof3, the device has been 3 years in the making, with the benefit of studying its competitors, and they come up with this?! The design is not innovative, and many of the features already can be done on Android Wear and even Tizen.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
First off, I am not here to be a troll.
Okay
I just want an actual discussion from the die hard Apple fans about the Apple Watch.
Okay

In the forums here and on other sites, the general consensus from the Apple faithful was that Apple was behind on the smartwatch market because they were going to wait and do it right, fixing all of the problems of the Android based watches.
I disagree regarding the "general consensus" statement. I've come across a good deal of posts where members can't wait to get the Watch.

what were you expecting from an Watch? How many ways can a watch be made? The same can apply to a smartphone. It's safe to assume that it'll have a display, a virtual keyboard and a selectable way to initiate apps. So again, what were YOU expecting from Apple in regard to the Watch?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I got to agree with Pwrof3, the device has been 3 years in the making, with the benefit of studying its competitors, and they come up with this?! The design is not innovative, and many of the features already can be done on Android Wear and even Tizen.

Innovate design will be a moot issue if it outsells all of its competitors and it is a safe bet that it might. Then what? Will those who purchased the Watch be considered mindless idiots with no taste for design or will they be happy customers going about their business and sporting their new Watches?

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Nothing happened- Apple developed a watch that they feel is up to their standards. I for one cant wait to get my hands on one...

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Innovate design will be a moot issue if it outsells all of its competitors and it is a safe bet that it might. Then what? Will those who purchased the Watch be considered mindless idiots with no taste for design or will they be happy customers going about their business and sporting their new Watches?
Huh? It's moot to even talk about sale figures when the Apple Watch is not even out yet. ;)

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
what were you expecting from an Watch? How many ways can a watch be made? The same can apply to a smartphone. It's safe to assume that it'll have a display, a virtual keyboard and a selectable way to initiate apps. So again, what were YOU expecting from Apple in regard to the Watch?
More streamline, clean, and minimal design Apple is known for. Digital Crown is unnecessary and archaic. The other physical button, Contacts, should also be eliminated; should be achieved through voice commands or touchscreen.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
That sounds like saying "with all due respect" right before being disrespectful.... :D

Agreed. "I am not here to troll" rates with Nixon's "I am not a crook" speech. Like with a politician says "in all honesty". Not buying it.

Alex, I’ll take "Things a troll says" for $400, please.

Last edited:

EEZ123

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Remember innovative means the take an existing design and or feature and make it significantly better. I think apple has done that with the majority of its products. The success shows in its sales numbers and taking a product and making it mainstream instead of a niche product. I think the Apple watch has the ability to do that. Like the original iPhone and the iPad did before. Also those products also helped push other manufactures and OS's to rethink their own product and make it better.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Remember innovative means the take an existing design and or feature and make it significantly better. I think apple has done that with the majority of its products. The success shows in its sales numbers and taking a product and making it mainstream instead of a niche product. I think the Apple watch has the ability to do that. Like the original iPhone and the iPad did before. Also those products also helped push other manufactures and OS's to rethink their own product and make it better.
But how is the Apple Watch any better than others can't already do?

Last edited:

pwrof3

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Okay Okay

I disagree regarding the "general consensus" statement. I've come across a good deal of posts where members can't wait to get the Watch.

Well, I'm not really sure what I was expecting. But, certainly, something that did for smartwatches what iPhone did for smartphones.
The Apple Watch is more of just a me too device.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Somebody got carried away with all those mock ups. They looked nice, but probably not feasible to produce. So now you criticize Apple's watch? I think it looks nice! And you have no idea what reasons Apple may have had for that design. It may have been the only way to include all that was included. GEEZ!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Somebody got carried away with all those mock ups. They looked nice, but probably not feasible to produce. So now you criticize Apple's watch? I think it looks nice! And you have no idea what reasons Apple may have had for that design. It may have been the only way to include all that was included. GEEZ!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
Nope, they didn't need to include Digital Crown.

ETA: Samsung is able to do it with their Gear S, and then some.

pwrof3

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
77c63dd4.jpg
When Apple unveiled the iPhone, these above pictured phones were the most popular in the market at the time.
IPhone changed the game.
Perhaps I was expecting more of the same from the watch.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
More streamline, clean, and minimal design Apple is known for.
Okay, but they appear that way to me.
Digital Crown is unnecessary and archaic.
According to whom? Just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean a majority feels the same way.
The other physical button, Contacts, should also be eliminated; should be achieved through voice commands or touchscreen.
Why?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh