Apple has me interested in the watch big time. I haven't worn a watch in years and I always wore a watch pre iPhone.

The fact that it's not dropping until 2015 is smart on Apples part because I believe that there are many folks like myself that the idea of the Apple watch is stewing in them and will want one when it drops.

If they would have released Apple watch same time as iPhone 6 it wouldn't be enough time to convert the "I don't want it folks" like myself. As they days go by I'm leaning more and more to I want it.
    I feel like the Apple watch is a extension of the iPhone like the iPhone was a extension of the Mac.

Reading a article on Apple watch possibilities for musical applications definitely peaked my interest. Such as a metronome tempo being transmitted through the watch. A tempo felt instead of being heard.

The fact that it's a Apple device it falls right into my device chain. It doesn't have to be better or slicker than a Samsung watch.

The digital crown could prove to be a plus for certain tasks and apps that could be developed. There are a lot of devices where a physical knob still works.

I think the apps to come for the Apple watch will make it revolutionary or not like the iPad.

The app devs will look at Apple watch apps as a extension to their iPad/iPhone and Mac apps.

It seems now the innovation is not necessarily the device but what you can do with the device. This is not to say that there is not or will never be hardware innovation.
    Duvi likes this.
    09-14-2014 12:36 PM
    Apple has me interested in the watch big time. I haven't worn a watch in years and I always wore a watch pre iPhone.

The fact that it's not dropping until 2015 is smart on Apples part because I believe that there are many folks like myself that the idea of the Apple watch is stewing in them and will want one when it drops.

If they would have released Apple watch same time as iPhone 6 it wouldn't be enough time to convert the "I don't want it folks" like myself. As they days go by I'm leaning more and more to I want it.
    I feel like the Apple watch is a extension of the iPhone like the iPhone was a extension of the Mac.

Reading a article on Apple watch possibilities for musical applications definitely peaked my interest. Such as a metronome tempo being transmitted through the watch. A tempo felt instead of being heard.

The fact that it's a Apple device it falls right into my device chain. It doesn't have to be better or slicker than a Samsung watch.

The digital crown could prove to be a plus for certain tasks and apps that could be developed. There are a lot of devices where a physical knob still works.

I think the apps to come for the Apple watch will make it revolutionary or not like the iPad.

The app devs will look at Apple watch apps as a extension to their iPad/iPhone and Mac apps.

It seems now the innovation is not necessarily the device but what you can do with the device. This is not to say that there is not or will never be hardware innovation.
    I agree with all of this
    Duvi likes this.
    09-14-2014 12:45 PM
    I think many of you actually miss the OP's point, or at least the way I interpret it.

The iPod, iPhone, and iPad are the big hits since 2000, and usually what people refer to when they talk about the current legacy of Apple. With the iPod and iPhone it was obvious from the start that they were game changers. Maybe not complete, but definitely a statement of the way mp3 players and smartphones should be made. The iPad was less evident, but still totally different than any tablet released to that point. Media at the launch stated clearly that the iPad was something you had to use to understand, and that was quickly verified by people using it, then "getting" it.

With the Apple Watch, it screams "me too!" It looks and operates like everything else out there. The features are the same. It doesn't say to the existing market, "Hey, this is the way to do it." It isn't unique or different. It really is a me too product. That is something we haven't seen from Apple, arguably, ever. And the tech media is saying the same. Even Andy Ihnatko of MacBreak Weekly has said that it doesn't really do much to differentiate itself, and that he is hoping there is more to be said on the watch from Apple. That doesn't mean it won't be successful, or sell a ton of units, but it does beg the question, is the era of Apple coming to a close?

Full disclosure, I am a huge Apple fan. I only own Macs. Have owned every iPhone, and have never been tempted by another. I am an Apple supporter through and through. However, I am not blind, and I do not see the watch in the way many of the various Apple forum users do.
    09-15-2014 10:42 PM
    I know a ton of folks myself included that thought the same of the iPad. We looked at it as a giant iPhone.

Now these same folks myself included depend on the iPad for work as musicians.
    The majority of this innovation is the results of what devs have done with the iPad. Having access to a roomful of keyboards all in a iPad. I could go on and on with examples.
    I have no idea how the Apple Watch will be used or could be used. Their are folks that do just that, think of stuff to do with these devices app wise.
    I'm curious to see what devs may do with this device.

The OP's Title says "What Happened?" With device development it's wait and see what happens.

These devices seem to be more about evolution than revolution.
    You have people doing everything with iPads from storing weekly dinner recipes to tuning Concert Grand Pianos. This is all possible with app development and of course with the device becoming more powerful. It very possible the same range of tasks could be done with a Apple Watch in the future and the future in mobile device terms is a few years.
    09-16-2014 08:25 PM
    Does the I watch work without the I phone?
    10-05-2014 03:00 PM
    Does the I watch work without the I phone?
    From what was announced, it depends on what you mean by "work"? Will it tell time without an iPhone? Of course. It will have some onboard storage that can be used for music and played via Bluetooth to headphones. I think it's a safe assumption that the pulse monitor and pedometer type functions will work without a phone nearby. The biggest unknown seems to be if it will require the iPhone for GPS services.
    10-05-2014 03:05 PM
    For me, the hardware aesthetics left a lot to be desired, but I think it will be "iconic" a decade from now. The digital crown might be a serious gimmick, however, especially considering that most of the demoed interactions with the apple watch were via the touchscreen.

That said, I LOVE the home screen / icon map, and I'm strangely totally down for sending friends / strangers my heartbeat.
    10-10-2014 12:37 AM
    First off, I am not here to be a troll. I just want an actual discussion from the die hard Apple fans about the Apple Watch.

In the forums here and on other sites, the general consensus from the Apple faithful was that Apple was behind on the smartwatch market because they were going to wait and do it right, fixing all of the problems of the Android based watches.

So, my question is, why didn't that happen?
    We still have the same giant square on a wrist, with no revolutionary features to speak of. Apple Watch does everything a Samsung or Android Wear will do, but there is no killer Apple only feature.
    Perhaps they should have waited longer.
    Wow. I had the exact opposite reaction. I thought it was as amazing as the iPhone. Especially after using products like the jawbone up, up24, pebble, Nike Fuelband, Fitbit, LG G Watch and now Moto 360. I'm really excited by apple watch. Android wear, while good, isn't anywhere near as interesting to me as apple watch. I can't wait to buy one.
    10-10-2014 12:47 AM
    I have a Pebble, and I am really excited for the Apple Watch. When I saw the Apple Watch and compared it with the Pebble, I knew it was MUCH better than the Pebble. At first, I wasn't chomping at the bit to get one, but the more and more I look at the Smartwatch market, especially the Apple Watch, I know I want to buy one. I think it offers the best feature set out there, with the exception of the Gear S that can make calls and stuff without being tethered to a phone, and in my opinion the second best design of a smartwatch (Moto 360 is still my favorite looking).

I think it is a well rounded device with a lot of useful features, great design, and quality build. I personally can't wait to get my hands on one.
    11-18-2014 11:32 PM
    The features in the new Apple watch are constrained by state of the art technology. Everyone faces this constraint. Apple's advantage is its ecosystem and tight integration with its other devices. Not to mention its high quality.
    11-27-2014 06:22 PM
    Apple isn't just about beating the competition. They're also about making devices that people want to use (and in this case, wear). Most people will wait and see what the Apple Watch looks like on the wrists of early adopters before buying one, and many will wait for the second or even third iteration of the device before buying one, but if Apple did what they do best (and I'm betting at least $349.00 plus tax that they did), the experience of using the watch is what will sell the watch. Not because it's "better" or "more stylish", but because day in and day out it "just works" and in ways that will feel intuitive and natural as soon as you strap one on. So yes, others have done the watch before, with sales and gimmicks in the forefront. Apple is concerned about sales too, and they may have thrown a few gimmicks in for good measure, but they tend to put the experience of the end user first. It just happens to work out for them well on Wall Street, but their focus is on Main Street.
    12-07-2014 09:36 PM
86 ... 234