Apple Watch too expensive?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
As much as I REALLY wanted to like the Apple Watch, I am returning it. Right now it doesn't serve any use that my phone can't do. I am a totally Apple fanboy and buy literally every product that they make, however, the watch was disappointing. It's practically a $400+ paperweight on my arm. My watch is on eBay,
hopefully the next owner will find more use for it than I did. I really believed in apple, now I'm pretty disappointed.

Out of curiosity, what were you expecting when you purchased it? You seem so disappointed in such a short time with the watch. What was the deal breaker?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
It's very expensive.

But no-one clouted anyone over the head and ordered them to buy it.

I ordered a stainless steel 42mm watch with a Milanese loop band, a leather loop, a sport band, and AppleCare+.

Sometimes Apple products simply aren't worth it -- I'd class the new MacBook that way, and I don't regret passing it up. In a generation or two it may be worth it.

I didn't pass up the Apple Watch or go entry-level. Too interested in the product.

The naysayers should wait a generation or three for improvements. I'll be switching back and forth with a Pebble Time. I'll see which set of trade offs make more sense to me.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I didn't pass up the Apple Watch or go entry-level. Too interested in the product.
Yes, for sure, as people say, a thing is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. And the complete sold-out status of the watch tells us that people are indeed willing to pay these prices. And ironically, despite all my complaints, I appear to be among the willing.

But this is the first time I've felt outright gouged by an Apple product. When a simple leather band that probably costs less than $10 to make is being sold for $150, I feel gouged. I've spent an enormous amount on Apple products over the years, but have always felt that despite being expensive, they were good value for money. This is truly the first time I feel that I spent too much on one.

Maybe I'm all alone. But if I'm not, this is the kind of thing that harms brand loyalty over time.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm all alone. But if I'm not, this is the kind of thing that harms brand loyalty over time.

Oh, for sure you're not alone.

But there are other products for which I think the price is/was far too high for me. First-gen MacBook Airs, the current MacBook.

That wasn't the case here. For better or worse.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh, for sure you're not alone.

But there are other products for which I think the price is/was far too high for me. First-gen MacBook Airs, the current MacBook.

That wasn't the case here. For better or worse.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

I agree with you. This is not the first time Apple has priced a product higher than “normal.” But in this case, I don’t think the Apple Watch is overpriced.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It does seem odd you can buy a 64 gb iP Plus for the same price as the 42mm Sport Watch.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

redsharktibby

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Perhaps Apple will slash the price of Apple Watch 2 in half from the original price of the Apple Watch just like they did with the iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS? Wouldn't count on it, even though Apple constantly seems to try to make their products more affordable for everyone.

Sent from my gold iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't know where everyone is seeing 350, but I look online and I see 449. Which I think it's way to much just for a watch for iPhone or any phone for that matter. I can practically get a new phone with that money instead of a watch that can basically do what you phone can do

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Jedi1122

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Some people are saying 350 dollars is nothing for the amount of features that it gives 1. See post above 2. If you buy a Rolex for 10,000 dollars, you can sell it for 10,000 or more at least. The Apple watch immediately lost its value when u broke the seal. Congrats apple watch edition owners your money would have been better spent on a Rolex and a pebble time. Pebble time steel has more features and comes in gold if you like the bling.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

GilofWinterfell

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Some people are saying 350 dollars is nothing for the amount of features that it gives 1. See post above 2. If you buy a Rolex for 10,000 dollars, you can sell it for 10,000 or more at least. The Apple watch immediately lost its value when u broke the seal. Congrats apple watch edition owners your money would have been better spent on a Rolex and a pebble time. Pebble time steel has more features and comes in gold if you like the bling.

It figures ur an android user... All I can say to u is LOL
Funny how I don't even know where there's an android forum cuz I pretty much don't care for android users.. But there always seems to be an android user finding there way into an apple forum Lol... Typical closet apple fan

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for your opinion. Next?

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Too expensive? For me? Absolutely! LOL.

But I refuse to describe stuff as "too expensive" in general. It's a criticism thrown at Apple all the time... hogwash, IMHO. Every company prices (or tries to price) its goods as high as the market will bear.

If I had to be honest, my biggest gripe with Apple Watch is the form factor and limited (for my needs) functionality. More the former than the latter.

One advantage of buying Apple stuff is the high resale value. That's a great safety net for buyer's remorse.

Eric Hardman

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Price is dictated by the market. If the market place thinks the price is too high then the market will not buy and the company would need to make adjustments. I find organic veggies too expensive while my wife does not. I do not find microbrew beer to be too expensive while those drinking less expensive beers do. In the car market we face these issues everyday. I could afford a MB or a Lexus, but I drive a Toyota while others will choose a Ford. I feel Starbucks is overpriced and make my own.

Of course my favorites are the ones who complain about the price of gas as they drink their bottled

As far as the watch, I purchased one and love it. I sold my MS Band for $200 and factored that into the price of the watch.

I have tried various android wear watches and I personnally felt they were over priced for quality and switched to apple

I just sold my sport watch for plus $100 and I am getting my SS model in Monday

Last edited:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Price is dictated by the market. If the market place thinks the price is too high then the market will not buy and the company would need to make adjustments.

That is only partially true of Apple devices. I'm not saying the laws of supply and demand don't apply to Apple, but there is also the "feeding frenzy" response to almost anything Apple releases. With that all said, though, I am certain that Apple has done tons of market research and focus groups, etc to be able to set their prices for both maximum profit margins and to hit a spot that people are willing to meet.

You don't see Apple ever doing price adjustments simply because items aren't selling. Over time, the price of some of their products do come down a bit, but it's because the items become cheaper to manufacture/market, and NOT because they aren't able to demand the original price.

Eric Hardman

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Apple does not need to do price adjustments because the market still buys them at the market price as they still see value in that price.

Yes there is some "Apple Frenzy" just as there is for Starbucks, Nike, Pro Sports, Samsung, etc.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure what people were expecting with the Apple Watch. You can get the aluminum models for $300 (38mm)/$350 (42mm), the stainless steel models for $500 (38mm)/$550 (42mm), (black SS) $600 (38mm)/$650 (42mm), or full bling starting at $10k, plus the cost of the band you select. That basically makes it a convenience accessory accessible to anyone using a newer iPhone, and who wants to leave their iPhone in their pocket or bag during most of the day, but not miss out on notifications or calls, while still being able to keep up on breaking news, messages, email, calendar events, check the weather, track their health, query Siri for Internet info, check the time, and who knows what else once developers jump fully into the product line.

Sure, your iPhone can do all this better, but not more conveniently. You can now create a subset of all the emails and notifications you want to know about instantly, vice the barrage you regularly allow on your iPhone just because you can. How often do you get sucked into doing more than you intended when you picked up the iPhone? The Apple Watch is for the important-to-you events you simply don't want to miss out on, but only take up a few seconds of your time to do so.

For me, that's very cool. I'm retired, so my iPhone now sits in the charging dock most of the day while I go about my interests around the house, remaining fully online for the shorter list of key interests that I don't want to miss out on (including calls from my spouse), while retaining the option to get my iPhone for items that actually require the larger screen and keyboard, which is seldom in my case. For Internet browsing around the house, I pick up my iPad off the coffee table. My iPhone now only goes in my pocket when I leave the house and want to remain online, otherwise it can stay home while I walk the dog, instantly updating me the moment I return within WiFi range of my iPhone.

For those not retired, you can follow the same approach at work, configuring your Apple Watch to limit getting your attention from those apps that are critical to your day, leaving the rest waiting for you on your iPhone for a quiet moment. Your social apps can remain actively updating on your iPhone, while not bothering you on your watch. Only my VIP configured email gets transferred to my watch now, everything else stays in my InBox until I choose to look through it.

Yes, the Apple Watch isn't a necessity, any more than the iPhone is, but it is a big convenience. As others online have already stated, your Mac/PC is for when you have hours to spend doing something, the iPhone is for when you only want to spend minutes doing something and you're mobile, and the Apple Watch is for when you're only willing to allow a few seconds of your attention. That works great for me.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
For me I had completely opted out of buying one since I was originally interested in the watch model. I took price into consideration since it was a first edition with room for much improvement and most likely I'll have the watch up for sale by December. But the sport was the same and perhaps a little better from watching videos to comparison.

Plus since the launch of the LG Urbane your still looking at a 350 price tag. The pebble steel was around 250. So I think apples starting price point was perfect.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Space~G using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner