Apple Watch too expensive?

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I hate to say it, but the watch is eye-bleedingly too expensive. I am the ideal market for this - I am actually looking to buy a watch, I'm into tech, and I earn a decent salary. But the entry-level watch for grown-ups (stainless steel with leather band) costs $700. I can barely imagine taking the idea to my wife that I want to spend $700 on a watch that I'll keep for the next twenty years. But for a tech product that I'll be tossing in two years? Not a chance. The watch, frankly, feels like an indulgence, not like a phone which I can argue that I really need. And this is just too much for an indulgence.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
With only about 5% of US iPhone users strongly saying they will buy the Watch, I can understand Apple's price strategy.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I hate to say it, but the watch is eye-bleedingly too expensive. I am the ideal market for this - I am actually looking to buy a watch, I'm into tech, and I earn a decent salary. But the entry-level watch for grown-ups (stainless steel with leather band) costs $700. I can barely imagine taking the idea to my wife that I want to spend $700 on a watch that I'll keep for the next twenty years. But for a tech product that I'll be tossing in two years? Not a chance. The watch, frankly, feels like an indulgence, not like a phone which I can argue that I really need. And this is just too much for an indulgence.

I am a 44 year old adult who will be purchasing the sport model at $350

Sent from my Gold iPad Air using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

The sport model is for grown-ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm not being serious, of course, that the sport model isn't for adults. Great for sports or yard work or shlepping around the house. But I really wouldn't wear a watch with a rubber strap to work.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I would wear a watch with the rubber strap to work. Guess it depends on your job. I would think the black one would blend though without issue.
You could also go with the sports and add a nicer band as well

Sent from my iPhone 6

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I would wear a watch with the rubber strap to work. Guess it depends on your job. I would think the black one would blend though without issue.
You could also go with the sports and add a nicer band as well

Sent from my iPhone 6

Yeah I'm in jeans in the winter shorts in the summer. I can pull it off without issue.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance but I see a lot of y'all placing the apple symbol thought out your text. How do you do this?

Sent from my iPhone 6plus using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance but I see a lot of y'all placing the apple symbol thought out your text. How do you do this?

Sent from my iPhone 6plus using Tapatalk

My shortcut for Watch
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426514782.142920.jpg
And this for Pay
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426514998.936988.jpg
I also use an app called "Symbols". I get these and more:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426515623.618456.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
smart watches lure people into buying them. Smart people invest into a real quality watch..

Smart people who purchase a smartwatch will understand what it is and what it is not, and they will use it in a manner that is beneficial to them. As for investing in a "real quality watch", that's debatable. Is it smarter to pay $3,000 for a watch that will display the same time as one costing $30?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Smart people who purchase a smartwatch will understand what it is and what it is not, and they will use it in a manner that is beneficial to them. As for investing in a "real quality watch", that's debatable. Is it smarter to pay $3,000 for a watch that will display the same time as one costing $30?

Bingo

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro