Apple Watch too expensive?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
It's worth whatever people are willing to pay for it. If sales are low during Q1, the price may come down.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Not sure about this. I feel it's a niche product and Apple isn't worried about the sales number not even sure if there planning on marketing it worldwide

It's an accessory that we can do without and I believe it will have a steady slow consumer adoption. There will be no lines on the day of release that Apple enjoys with the iPhone

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I think the price point is fine.....

Yes it's something we can do with out, but certain people will want the integration.. It might not be for everyone, regardless of pricing...

It's just like a Segway... Paying that much for something, so you don't have to walk.......... Think about that for a little bit.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I was very excited about the watch until they mentioned that it requires an iPhone to use. I will still probably get one, but they will miss out on a lot of people who want it for its watch, music, and fitness functions. In my office there were at least 5 android users I hear mention that as a disappointment for them and I agree. The price is high, but it surely will be worth every penny!

izzyardo

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I was disappointed in the price at first. I thought it would be under $200. Then I looked at my watch collection and realized I've spent at least $350 on things that look pretty and just tell time. I want one, but I'm not sure I could limit myself to just one watch.

mummer43

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
On its own, no. Considering what it can do, $350 is not a bad deal, even $450.

You can get a Citizen watch for $300 that has several features or something like a Suunuto around the same price. So considering you pay $50 more to get an Apple Watch? Great deal.

BUT... when you're asking consumers who have a laptop, a smartphone, a tablet and probably upgrade the phone on a regular basis and possibly the tablet... to add a 3rd gadget? That's a bit of gadget overload.

I have a $300 Suunto and I would pay $350 for the apple watch if it did the things my Suunto does without havin to be tethered to a phone. The Suunto would be perfect if it could store music or play pandora and play it wirelessly through bluetooth headphones. Adding he ability to receive texts would be icing on the cake. I expected all of this from the apple watch, so I am disappointed.

mummer43

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
If you are a Casio/Timex watch person, yes, the Watch is too expensive.

If you are a Rolex, Omega, Lum-Tec (my current fav) etc etc watch person, no, the Watch is cheap.

Just depends on what type of person you are when it comes to watches.

I'm an omega guy, so $350 is nothing lol.

paul-c

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's too expensive, I just like my traditional watch more. And I don't even wear that enough, as it is.

Sent from my Sony Xperia L

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I would pay it & since I love the Edition version, I'm sure I'll be paying a lot more. I love watches & have a ton of them. If I'm willing to spend almost 10x more than the Apple Watch on a watch that is a standard timepiece, chronograph or stopwatch then I can shell out much less to add a watch to my collection that does much more

d_rex

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
As is, I think the price is a bit steep. However, when more apps come in by December, it's value and functionaity might just increase and may be worth the 349 dollars that people will be paying.

But at this point, if had that money, i think i'd just sad another 50 dollars and buy an ipad mini.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To some people, its price is expensive, but to others, it is not. I suppose it depends on your salary and/or desire to get one of the watches.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Not at all, apple makes excellent hardware I'm sure the build is solid and you will pay a lot more for a high end wrist watch of its caliber.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Apple could say it's 499 and people still would buy it ..
Until they get massive battery life I'm holding out I love my pebble and the 7 day battery life is honestly the best feature having another device to charge nightly is a pita IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oroloi

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what it will cost in the Stainless Steel version with Stainless Steel Bracelet but considering what I pay for Swiss Made Mechanical watches I will pay what they ask and it will be worth every cent. I don't care if they take until late 2015 to make it available, at least I know it will work like every apple product I own.

To Answer your question..............too expensive.....No

terreos

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I was expecting the watch to be $299. I was hoping for $199. So when I saw $349 I was definitely shocked. I don't really know what all it can do though. So maybe if it turns out it has alot to offer me then I'll get one. I don't have a problem paying a premium for a high quality product, but when it's an electronic device ment to be used as a tool I tend to get stingy. And to top it off it only lasts for one day and I have to charge it? I still don't like the fact that I have to do that with my phone. I think something like a smart watch has to last three days minimum. My work has me on the road on a regular basis and I'm no where near a wall plug so I can't be taking my watch off to charge it. :straight-face: