Does it bother you that the Apple Watch will only work with the iPhone 5 and above?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As asked in the title, does it bother you that the Apple Watch will only work with the iPhone 5 and above?

Anthonyiamador

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I think the Apple watch is a dumb idea. It looks fancy but the fact that you have to be tethered to your iPhone is stupid. No innovation at all in my honest opinion. Did the iPhone become less portable all of a sudden that I can't just pull out my iPhone that I have to have on me anyways? Is that too much work all of a sudden? Not much of a convenience anyways, just another thing to charge at the end of the night. I will be purchasing a new iPhone however.

zachpenguin

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I doubt I would even try to view photos on it. Not what I wanted it for, but the sport version and the fitness stuff is exactly what I was after.

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I thought the same thing. But I was so wrong about the ipad. I thought, who would want a big phone?? Maybe I will be wrong about the iwatch also. But I am trying to see how it is convient? Do I need to bring my phone with me, when I go for a run, just so the iwatch will work??? If that is the case, then I dont see many people buying the watch. But if I can leave the iphone at home, and go for a run with the watch, and everything still works, then it is a great idea.

mummer43

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
It bothers me that you need to be tethered to your phone. I don't want to go out on a run and have to have my big *** phone in my pocket. What's the point of the watch?? I won't even consider buying one until they fix this issue. Until then, the watch is just a companion to the iphone that makes no sense. I already have a $300 watch that has a GPS and will tell my heart rate and calories burned. I don't need another watch that won't do that without being connected to my phone.

mummer43

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I thought the same thing. But I was so wrong about the ipad. I thought, who would want a big phone?? Maybe I will be wrong about the iwatch also. But I am trying to see how it is convient? Do I need to bring my phone with me, when I go for a run, just so the iwatch will work??? If that is the case, then I dont see many people buying the watch. But if I can leave the iphone at home, and go for a run with the watch, and everything still works, then it is a great idea.

You have to have your phone with you. If they can come up,with some way to share data with the iphone so I can use the watch as a GPS, and receive texts then I'm interested. Especially if I can listen to music through wireless earphones. Otherwise, no thanks. Why don't they just put a GPS receiver in the watch? There are lots of good GPS watches out there and this doesn't compete with any of them.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Do we know this will be the case?

I got a mixed message from what he said in the event

But if you watched the video I didn't see them carrying there phone when they were running I'm thinking for input there's no phone needed if it works with the i5 and the i5c that have no motion chip it must be build into the watch itself

mummer43

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I got a mixed message from what he said in the event

But if you watched the video I didn't see them carrying there phone when they were running I'm thinking for input there's no phone needed if it works with the i5 and the i5c that have no motion chip it must be build into the watch itself

Yes, but will it tell me how far I ran, my pace, time elapsed, elevation gained, etc. without having my phone on me? Based on what I'm reading, no.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
No. And for reasons already stated. I too have no use for the watch. Not at that price. I don't even like wearing stuff on my wrist or arm. It is nice though. But for those who have to have the latest greatest and can afford it. The Apple Watch is way down on my priority budget list. Way down.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5