Does it bother you that the Apple Watch will only work with the iPhone 5 and above?

terreos

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
It's apple. "Buy our latest products or we'll forget about you." It's similar to how the OS updates happen on the previous iphones. Generally the last gen will get the newest OS that a new phone gets. Two generations old may get a watered down version. Three generations or older? Upgrade. In a perfect world I'd be bothered by this. And it's not fair to someone with a iphone 4s that's interested in an Applewatch and can't use it unless they upgrade. But, what can we really do about it?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
It's apple. "Buy our latest products or we'll forget about you." It's similar to how the OS updates happen on the previous iphones. Generally the last gen will get the newest OS that a new phone gets. Two generations old may get a watered down version. Three generations or older? Upgrade. In a perfect world I'd be bothered by this. And it's not fair to someone with a iphone 4s that's interested in an Applewatch and can't use it unless they upgrade. But, what can we really do about it?

Apple is more then generous when it comes to backward comparability compared to any other tech company. They could have easily limited the 5s with the Apple Watch but included the 5 and 5c which was a pleasant surprise to many users

terreos

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Apple is more then generous when it comes to backward comparability compared to any other tech company. They could have easily limited the 5s with the Apple Watch but included the 5 and 5c which was a pleasant surprise to many users

I think the fact that it's an accessory that has spec requirements is what I'm trying to get at. When it comes to an OS on a phone I get why older devices don't generally get the newest software. And you're right about apple being pretty generous with software updates on old devices. Some android phones aren't too far off though.

But, look at it this way. You want an Apple Watch. You have a phone that supports. But, the next version doesn't have anything you need or want so stick with you current Apple Watch. But, now a new Iphone comes and you upgrade. Now this new Iphone doesn't support the old apple watch. So now if you want to keep up you'll need a new watch.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for the Apple Watch. Heck I want one. But, I see it as an accessory. Much like a pair of headphones. It should be universal. In this case universal to apple products. I'd be ok with that. But, unless it's old and worn out or broken I keep accessories until they can't be used anymore. I don't want to have to buy a new Apple watch everytime I get a new Iphone. Hopefully that isn't the case but, I can easily see that happening.

Probably just over thinking it honestly.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I was surprised it went back as far as the 5 and I can't wait until we know all of the details about this watch

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I think the fact that it's an accessory that has spec requirements is what I'm trying to get at. When it comes to an OS on a phone I get why older devices don't generally get the newest software. And you're right about apple being pretty generous with software updates on old devices. Some android phones aren't too far off though.

But, look at it this way. You want an Apple Watch. You have a phone that supports. But, the next version doesn't have anything you need or want so stick with you current Apple Watch. But, now a new Iphone comes and you upgrade. Now this new Iphone doesn't support the old apple watch. So now if you want to keep up you'll need a new watch.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for the Apple Watch. Heck I want one. But, I see it as an accessory. Much like a pair of headphones. It should be universal. In this case universal to apple products. I'd be ok with that. But, unless it's old and worn out or broken I keep accessories until they can't be used anymore. I don't want to have to buy a new Apple watch everytime I get a new Iphone. Hopefully that isn't the case but, I can easily see that happening.

Probably just over thinking it honestly.

I kinda see your point.

cmajpwc

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't get people complaining how it needs to be tethered to your phone to work. A smart watch is not a telephone for your wrist. It is merely an accessory to help you look at notifications without taking your phone out. This means in a crowded subway, or during a rainstorm, for example, you won't have to worry about taking your phone out. It will probably help reduce thefts (very hard to take a watch off the wrist if it's fastened properly, and with the phone likely being zipped in a bag or backpack). While I agree it's overpriced and the new UI needs a drastic overhaul as far as ease of use goes, it doesn't make sense that people should be expecting this to work as a phone independent of the one you already have. It's not the point of the Apple Watch, and likely never was. Maybe in the future, but technology just isn't there yet.

RevJar

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
If you really want the Apple Watch, you're going to be using a semi-current or current phone. Just like every iOS version won't work on every idevice, you can't expect something like the Apple Watch to work with older devices. I know plenty of people still rocking an iPhone 4 or 4s (nearly all of my family) and most of them won't see iOS 8 because they've got the 4. It's just the facts: if you want the new gadgets, you gotta be ok with some things that don't work with your older devices.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Doesn't bother me... I really thought it would be 6 and up. Then thought they'd have to include the 5S... not just because the 5S should be able to handle it, but to sell more. They probably included the 5 for the same reasons.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I don't get people complaining how it needs to be tethered to your phone to work. A smart watch is not a telephone for your wrist. It is merely an accessory to help you look at notifications without taking your phone out. This means in a crowded subway, or during a rainstorm, for example, you won't have to worry about taking your phone out. It will probably help reduce thefts (very hard to take a watch off the wrist if it's fastened properly, and with the phone likely being zipped in a bag or backpack). While I agree it's overpriced and the new UI needs a drastic overhaul as far as ease of use goes, it doesn't make sense that people should be expecting this to work as a phone independent of the one you already have. It's not the point of the Apple Watch, and likely never was. Maybe in the future, but technology just isn't there yet.

Minus the watch being overpriced or the UI needing a drastic overhaul, I agree with you.

"I can't run without my phone... it's useless."

How about those in business meetings that may be waiting for an important message or other notification... where looking at their phone would be rude or not allowed.

How about the New Yorker that doesn't want to get jacked for their phone by having it out?

Or the person who is doing something in the kitchen and instead of stopping what they're doing, they glance at their watch to see if they should stop what they're doing to answer.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73