Samsung Galaxy Gear S vs Apple iWatch.

Eskemo30

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
I know technically apple doesn't have a smart watch...yet. But do you think if apple announced one tomorrow it would be as good as the Gear S? I mean that thing is awesome!

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
To be fair to Samsung is not seen as much in depth coverage as what I saw with the apple watch. However based on what I've seen the Apple watch is better in every way. I haven't bought any smart watches yet because they haven't been convincing enough. The Apple watch changed that yesterday. Hell I wasn't even that fussed about the new iPhones until I saw that watch. Its convinced me fully to get the iPhone 6.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, for those who think Apple Watch is better than Samsung Gear S, can you elaborate? The Apple Watch has no curve screen, you need 2 physical buttons to get around, battery life is unknown, and the overall design is nothing innovative and groundbreaking.

Besides, you can't receive/make calls by itself, especially when you're out for a run or leave your phone at home/office.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Customization- Can also be done in other smartwatches.

Sensors- Also in other watches

NFC-Finally Apple has reluctantly agreed to its use, good for them.

Siri - I am curious to know the action commands, so the buttons-Digital Crown and Contacts should be eliminated.

Charging-Love the magnet clip, but doesn't address the battery life.

Ecosystem-Agree, makes things more controlled and streamlined.

Safire display - a big waste, contributes to the high price. A lesser material would do since chances of scratches and cracks are minimal on wearables with especially small display screens.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok nice breakdown

I actually was referring to the quick strap release for customizing the look for day to day and Siri alone would be a no sell it's seldom used in public

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Ok nice breakdown

I actually was referring to the quick strap release for customizing the look for day to day and Siri alone would be a no sell it's seldom used in public
Oh, ok. The strap customization is also done in other smartwatches. As for Siri, I wonder why the presentation didn't highlight it. Samsung did with SVoice and Google did with Google Voice.

The main complaint of Apple Watch for me is the button, Digital Crown. A watch should be as simple and fast as possible or you might as well grab your phone. Digital Crown is not intuitive and efficient.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, for those who think Apple Watch is better than Samsung Gear S, can you elaborate? The Apple Watch has no curve screen, you need 2 physical buttons to get around, battery life is unknown, and the overall design is nothing innovative and groundbreaking.

Besides, you can't receive/make calls by itself, especially when you're out for a run or leave your phone at home/office.

I'm one of those who knows the AppleWatch is better for ME. It's a very simple explanation....Its an Apple device which allows me to interact with my Apple iPhone, can the Samsung Gear S do that?.....and since majority of the USA use iPhones (Apple 42.7% vs Samsung 26.3%) that alone makes it BETTER.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Oh, ok. The strap customization is also done in other smartwatches. As for Siri, I wonder why the presentation didn't highlight it. Samsung did with SVoice and Google did with Google Voice.

The main complaint of Apple Watch for me is the button, Digital Crown. A watch should be as simple and fast as possible or you might as well grab your phone. Digital Crown is not intuitive and efficient.

Gosh you complain a lot If you don't like it, move on. I was looking forward to the announcement of the Moto X+1...saw it, didn't like it, moved on with my life. Pretty darn simple.

d_rex

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Ok, here's what I think. The Apple Watch will be way better than any Google Smartwatch because of one factor: watch app ecosystem.

The way I see it, Apple deferred the release of the watch so that developers can get their hands on the iphone 6 and make some apps for the Apple Watch. With this, you can a lot more functionality when these Watch Apps start coming in. Apple has shown us what the watch can do, and they are seeking developer support so that they can make it better.

With Android Watches on the other hand, what they show you is what you get: clockfaces, fitness apps, etc. Unless they are also planning the same for the Android Gear.

Last note. I'm not an Apple Fan, but I am fascinated with the way Apple tends to overthink things and the how overthinking works for the company. When thought of making a smartwatch, they really put everything under consideration like: watch sizes for men and women, watch straps and collection for personalization, NFC payments using a watch, a separate app environment for the watch for added function, etc. I hope this succeeds. Just my two cents. :)

P.S. I really expected a front facing camera (VGA at least) for facetime. :O

mitchcraig

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm one of those who knows the AppleWatch is better for ME. It's a very simple explanation....Its an Apple device which allows me to interact with my Apple iPhone, can the Samsung Gear S do that?.....and since majority of the USA use iPhones (Apple 42.7% vs Samsung 26.3%) that alone makes it BETTER.

That in and of itself doesn't make our better, just better for you. I do however agree, I am bought into the Apple ecosystem myself and will likely buy the Apple watch. I have actually put off buying a watch waiting to see what apple was going to do. I'm pleased with the results. I think they are packing to many features into a 1.0 device,but we will see.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro