Using Series 5 Cellular and Series 2

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I currently have the Series 2 but I might be getting the Series 5 Cellular for Christmas soon. Is there any way to have the Series 5 activated and set up and still use the Series 2 until the holidays? I do not want to be without a Watch for two months!

Also once I have the Series 5 after the holidays, can I use both the Series 5 and Series 2 at the same time (I would have the Series 2 on my right wrist and the Series 5 on my left) or will notifications and other features only be active on one Watch at a time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I currently have the Series 2 but I might be getting the Series 5 Cellular for Christmas soon. Is there any way to have the Series 5 activated and set up and still use the Series 2 until the holidays?

Sure. I currently have both an S2 and an S5 syncing with my iPhone. I wear the S5 during the day and the S2 while I sleep.

Also once I have the Series 5 after the holidays, can I use both the Series 5 and Series 2 at the same time (I would have the Series 2 on my right wrist and the Series 5 on my left) or will notifications and other features only be active on one Watch at a time?

Yes, they will both get notifications. Only one will be "active" for activity tracking purposes and, I think, heart rate. But, why wear two watches at the same time? What purpose will that serve?

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Sure. I currently have both an S2 and an S5 syncing with my iPhone. I wear the S5 during the day and the S2 while I sleep.

Yes, they will both get notifications. Only one will be "active" for activity tracking purposes and, I think, heart rate. But, why wear two watches at the same time? What purpose will that serve?

Thank you for letting me know. So if I activate the Series 5 (with or without cellular) and then turn it off until I get it during the holidays, it should work normally then? I would activate it with cellular on AT&T.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for letting me know. So if I activate the Series 5 (with or without cellular) and then turn it off until I get it during the holidays, it should work normally then? I would activate it with cellular on AT&T.

Why not wait to activate until you are ready to use it? I’m not sure I see the advantage to that, and I see a lot of potential issues. First, if you activate cellular, you will waste basically two months of payments for a service you are not using. (You can always activate cellular later when you are ready to use it.). Second, make 100% sure that the device is shut off if you do this. Two months of a discharged battery may damage the battery permanently.

What’s the point of activating it and then waiting almost two months to actually use it?

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Why not wait to activate until you are ready to use it? I’m not sure I see the advantage to that, and I see a lot of potential issues. First, if you activate cellular, you will waste basically two months of payments for a service you are not using. (You can always activate cellular later when you are ready to use it.). Second, make 100% sure that the device is shut off if you do this. Two months of a discharged battery may damage the battery permanently.

What’s the point of activating it and then waiting almost two months to actually use it?

So what I should do is activate the Watch, turn it off, and then when I get it on Xmas then activate the cellular.

Also I don’t mind having two watches at the same time. I’ve done that with my Series 2 and an old Tissot regular watch that I have.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I currently have the Series 2 but I might be getting the Series 5 Cellular for Christmas soon. Is there any way to have the Series 5 activated and set up and still use the Series 2 until the holidays? I do not want to be without a Watch for two months!
How are you going to activate the Series 5 without first having possession of it? Did I misunderstand what you typed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, but only one Watch will be active in regard to your cellular service.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So what I should do is activate the Watch, turn it off, and then when I get it on Xmas then activate the cellular.

Yes, sounds reasonable. Make sure it’s working so you can return within the 14 day window but then keep it off until you are ready to activate it.

Also I don’t mind having two watches at the same time. I’ve done that with my Series 2 and an old Tissot regular watch that I have.

I don’t understand what wearing two Apple watches at the same time will do. I could see wearing the S2 while the S5 was charging, but what purpose will be served by having two Apple watches on at the same time? An Apple Watch and a Tissot at the same time makes more sense - one for fashion, one for function.

The S2 was never cellular, so that’s not an issue.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
How are you going to activate the Series 5 without first having possession of it? Did I misunderstand what you typed?

I would get it and set it up and then turn it off and store it away until Xmas. Then at Xmas I turn it back on and activate AT&T cell service.

Will both Watches get notifications but only one Watch will monitor activity use? I will use the AutoSwitch feature.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes, sounds reasonable. Make sure it’s working so you can return within the 14 day window but then keep it off until you are ready to activate it.

I don’t understand what wearing two Apple watches at the same time will do. I could see wearing the S2 while the S5 was charging, but what purpose will be served by having two Apple watches on at the same time? An Apple Watch and a Tissot at the same time makes more sense - one for fashion, one for function.

The S2 was never cellular, so that’s not an issue.

Ok. Thanks for the advice.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Will both Watches get notifications but only one Watch will monitor activity use? I will use the AutoSwitch feature.

In my experience, yes. But, in your case, if you are wearing both at the same time, I might not rely on auto switch to determine the active watch - you can turn off auto switch and choose the watch you want active.

If you want to wear only one at a time, yes, then use auto switch.

One issue with two watches and use auto switch, at least in my experience: watchOS updates. They do not happen automatically on the "other" watch if you are wearing a different watch that is active at the time. At least for me they didn't. I had to manually take my S5 the active watch while it was on the charger and then tell it to install the update. The same thing happened with the S2 earlier this week.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
In my experience, yes. But, in your case, if you are wearing both at the same time, I might not rely on auto switch to determine the active watch - you can turn off auto switch and choose the watch you want active.

If you want to wear only one at a time, yes, then use auto switch.

One issue with two watches and use auto switch, at least in my experience: watchOS updates. They do not happen automatically on the "other" watch if you are wearing a different watch that is active at the time. At least for me they didn't. I had to manually take my S5 the active watch while it was on the charger and then tell it to install the update. The same thing happened with the S2 earlier this week.

Thank you for the advice!

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the advice!

Just an update: I will be getting the Series 5 on the weekend, setting it up and activating cellular, then powering the Watch off until Christmas Eve and opening and using it then! I plan on using my Series 2 and Series 5 at the same time (Series 5 on my left wrist and Series 2 in left wrist configuration but now will be on my right wrist)!

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Just another update: I am using both Watches at the same time. Series 5 is in left wrist configuration on my left wrist and Series 2 is in left wrist configuration on my right wrist. Both are the Nike+ versions in 44mm Cellular and 42mm GPS and both are Space Gray.

My Series 2 is disconnected from my iPhone almost all the time now that my Series 5 is the main Watch I use. It can connect to WiFi easily. I have tried the Cellular a bit and noticed that it’s quite useful. It’s $10 more a month added onto my AT&T Unlimited Starter plan (I might go back to the 9 GB plan at some point).

I have gotten a lot of looks and questions about wearing two  Watches as everyone just seems to wear one. I could go between wearing one and the other but I like this style.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have gotten a lot of looks and questions about wearing two  Watches as everyone just seems to wear one.

Who cares what other people think? I have seen plenty of people with a "regular" watch on one wrist and a Fitbit on another, so this is not uncommon.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I might give my Series 2 to my dad but I’m not sure yet. There’s a phone call that I deleted that is not disappearing from the Series 2 that had disappeared from the Series 5.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I might give my Series 2 to my dad but I’m not sure yet. There’s a phone call that I deleted that is not disappearing from the Series 2 that had disappeared from the Series 5.

Once you reset your Series 2  Watch, the phone call you mentioned should disappear from it.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Looks like he is keeping it for good but he doesn’t use it as much as I thought he would. I don’t think I’d get it back from him at this point because I’m used to the speed and larger display of my Series 5.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh