Crown Side Choice?

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
I’ve seen a lot of great Watch photos. Today something stuck out to me so I’m just inquiring. I was a watch collector for many years, but stopped when the Apple Watch became my go to for almost everything. Being right-handed I’ve always worn my watch on my left hand and thus the crown was always on the right in between my watch and my wrist. Left handed people for the most part were stuck when they wore their watch on their right hand as the crown would on the outside. In the watch world people prefer the crown on the inside so when you move the crown for functionality you are not reaching across the watch.

This leads me to my question. The Apple Watch allows for both righties and lefties to wear with the crown positioned inside the watch. I see a ton of photos with watches on left hands but the crown on the outside of the watch. I’m inquiring to see if there is some advantage I’m missing. I wear mine standard on my left hand with the crown facing in. Thoughts? Obviously there is no right or wrong here. Just curious that’s all.
084e406cbbc319f8f143ed5666ee224a.jpg

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I have my crown on the “outside” as you put it. Toward my arm, not my hand. One advantage is that it places the crown right where your thumb would go and you use the crown with your thumb and never cover the screen. The main reason for me is because I work with my hands. With the crown between my wrist and hand I would constantly be hitting the crown or activating Siri, with the crown in the other side this happens far far less often.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I tried wearing my Watch with the Digital Crown facing away from my hand, but it felt weird and I didn’t notice any advantages so I just wear it in normal fashion.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I’m right handed but I wear my watch on my right wrist with the crown on the right side. The reason for the right arm is a tattoo on my left wrist interferes with the sensors. The reason I like the crown on the right is because I want it at the top, not the bottom.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
I’m right handed but I wear my watch on my right wrist with the crown on the right side. The reason for the right arm is a tattoo on my left wrist interferes with the sensors. The reason I like the crown on the right is because I want it at the top, not the bottom.

Interesting. I have had no tattoo issues that I’m aware of. Just inquiring, what issues have you had? Locking/unlocking...HR Monitor?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I have my crown on the “outside” as you put it. Toward my arm, not my hand. One advantage is that it places the crown right where your thumb would go and you use the crown with your thumb and never cover the screen. The main reason for me is because I work with my hands. With the crown between my wrist and hand I would constantly be hitting the crown or activating Siri, with the crown in the other side this happens far far less often.

^This!!! I don’t work with my hands, but I workout & move my wrists frequently. It’s also very convenient to press the digital town or side button with my thumb. My mechanical watches are still worn with the crown facing my hand.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I took noticed a huge difference in how people wear their watches. I wear my watch on my left wrist with a crown facing my hands which is the traditional way. I think it’s great though that it’s flexible enough to give people options on how they wear their watches.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I’m a lefty and wear mine on my right wrist, the crown towards my hand at the bottom . My daughter is a righty but also wears hers on her right wrist, crown towards her hand up top.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I wear mine in normal fashion on my left arm with the crown facing in but never tried it with the crown facing out.