Ok, I haven't got an S4 yet (still at S2), and now it looks like maybe I should wait for S5!

watchOS 6 has the new California watch face. I've been wanting a rectangular watch face after about a week of seeing the first Apple Watch. So yay! California.

As with all Apple updates, not all features will be backwards compatible with all Watches, do to hardware limitations and/or Apple's desire to move us forward.

I'm not that keen on the half Roman Numeral, half Arabic Number format, and similarly not the all-Arabic numbers. I'd have like to see an all Roman numeral face, but I think that was avoided because of the Hermès faces.

But this is huge for me regardless, and now I'm really jonesin' for a new Watch!
    06-09-2019 10:20 AM
    There will always be a newer, latest and greatest next device. Just do what makes you happy today as tomorrow is not promised. Honestly, the AW4 was a major upgrade from AWOriginal-3 series, so it will probably be a minor upgrade from AW4 to AW5, but only Apple really knows at this stage. There is no real info on AW5 at the moment.
    bamf-hacker, ReVu30 and Just_Me_D like this.
    06-09-2019 10:59 AM
    No leaks on Watch 5. My guess no major upgrade till Watch 6
    06-09-2019 12:56 PM
    I'm not that keen on the half Roman Numeral, half Arabic Number format, and similarly not the all-Arabic numbers. I'd have like to see an all Roman numeral face, but I think that was avoided because of the Hermès faces.
    That's one of the options.

S4 Watch and watchOS 6 !-d8tir5lwwaa7qql.jpg-large.jpeg
    06-10-2019 05:22 AM
    Good to know. Of all the Face demos, I've yet to see that one. Even if that wasn't an option, I'd learn to be happy with the California version just because it's rectangular.

As for the Roman face I wish Apple had used the IIII for 4 instead of the more modern subtractive notation of IV. I prefer the balanced look. But it's rectangular and that's a huge step in the right direction for me.

There will always be a newer, latest and greatest next device.
    True enough, I've lived through that for decades. But I hate buying kit only to find that a newer version was just a short time away. With wOS 6 announced I think we're close enough to a new Series that I don't mind waiting. Plus I'll then have an option to get an S4 a little cheaper if I'm not thrilled with whatever the S5 brings.

I've always bought my phones on the S swing of the model pendulum, except in 2007 of course. The 5 may be that for me.
    06-10-2019 11:02 AM
    @Mac Guy like you I'm still rocking my Series 2 and some of the new watch faces for WatchOS 6 are peaking my interest. My desire for a Series 4 has waned so at this point I'm going to see what Series 5 comes with out of the package. Looks like you've got company since I'm in camp wait and see too.
    ReVu30 likes this.
    06-10-2019 11:47 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D8TIR5LWwAA7qql.jpg-large.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	126286
    I really like the California Face ! Can you add complications?
    06-10-2019 12:37 PM
    True enough, I've lived through that for decades. But I hate buying kit only to find that a newer version was just a short time away. With wOS 6 announced I think we're close enough to a new Series that I don't mind waiting. Plus I'll then have an option to get an S4 a little cheaper if I'm not thrilled with whatever the S5 brings.
    Yes, it's ok to sit and wait. I did that with my 5s (2 years), my 7 Plus (2 years) and my original series Apple Watch to my current series 4 AW before upgrading. I've been totally satisfied with my decisions over the years and really enjoyed the benefits of upgrading after a longer period of time versus upgrading every year. Good Luck with your decision.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    06-10-2019 01:28 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D8TIR5LWwAA7qql.jpg-large.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	126286
    Looks like Apple made a mistake and used the wrong Roman numeral for number 4. Gotta love betas

scruffypig and ladyc0524 like this.
    06-10-2019 07:41 PM
    Looks like Apple made a mistake and used the wrong Roman numeral for number 4. Gotta love betas

[IMG=85x146]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190611/446cbced0f28dced1c502404226dde6a.jpg[/url]
    LOL...yup Betas
    nikkisharif likes this.
    06-10-2019 08:07 PM
    I saw that, too, and was wondering if they designed it so that numbers on the right are supposed to be read right to left and on the left from left to right. But, thinking about it more, that's just ridiculous. It'd be better really if they followed the watch standard "IIII" for 4 (which is supposedly done to balance the look of the opposite "VIII").
    nikkisharif likes this.
    06-11-2019 10:49 AM
    I saw that, too, and was wondering if they designed it so that numbers on the right are supposed to be read right to left and on the left from left to right. But, thinking about it more, that's just ridiculous. It'd be better really if they followed the watch standard "IIII" for 4 (which is supposedly done to balance the look of the opposite "VIII").
    I feel like I saw IIII for 4 on the California Watch Face. If I come across the pic again, I’ll post it.
    06-11-2019 07:35 PM
    This pic came from Macrumors.
    06-14-2019 06:53 AM