Exercise ring issue

dhrv88

Jan 20, 2019
Visit site
Hi all!
I seem to be having an issue with the way it is tracking my fitness and that data being transferred into the Exercise ring.

Can anyone see why the Exercise ring wouldn't update from 14 to 64 minutes as I went for a walk for 50 minutes?

https://imgur.com/a/0422GW2

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi all!
I seem to be having an issue with the way it is tracking my fitness and that data being transferred into the Exercise ring.

Can anyone see why the Exercise ring wouldn't update from 14 to 64 minutes as I went for a walk for 50 minutes?

https://imgur.com/a/0422GW2

Start troubleshooting by making sure your watch and phone have the latest software. Reboot both before doing exercise.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Are you sure you're walking fast enough? The watch won't count your walking as exercise unless it meets a minimum threshold for pace. I know when I walk my dog in the morning, we sometimes don't meet that pace threshold (too much stopping to sniff!) and I get no exercise credit for the walk.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
If you don’t start an exercise, all exercise minutes are based off your heart rate. So your heart rate must be at an elevated pace for it to trigger an exercise minute.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
If you don’t start an exercise, all exercise minutes are based off your heart rate. So your heart rate must be at an elevated pace for it to trigger an exercise minute.

The is a common misconception. Heart rate is only used for the exercise ring when you start a workout. Otherwise it uses the accelerometer in the watch to determine effort while you move / which is why Apple recommends starting a workout if your arm is not moving normally (pushing a stroller, for example.)

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207941

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
The is a common misconception. Heart rate is only used for the exercise ring when you start a workout. Otherwise it uses the accelerometer in the watch to determine effort while you move / which is why Apple recommends starting a workout if your arm is not moving normally (pushing a stroller, for example.)

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207941

That link just got me to phone sales but I recall an Apple Support knowledge base article that suggested using the other category when your arm won't move as well as saying it measures much like a brisk walk but uses GPS.

That has given me credit for exercise when the walk mode has not. Trail work or hiking with the dog as examples. You can choose other names to create your custom settings for that mode.

On the whole my move from a Series 2 to 4 has been all good. In the first day it didn't dawn on me that the watch was sitting in the Apple Store for a while without latest software. All's been pretty much perfect since. Also, the Series 4 seems to have enough boost in hardware resources to take some 3rd party apps from being flakey to reliable or fast.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I had a similar issue when I shoveled snow last week; my sister did as well and I posted about this last week. The suggestion that was given to me was to select "other" as the type of workout. I've tried this while cleaning house and shoveling more snow, and it does work. I think it would be ideal for taking a walk! As far as taking a walk, I've also found that using the indoor walk option is better than using the outdoor walk option. I went on a nature walk last spring, and we were out for two hours, but stopping to look at this and that, and I got very little credit. It was so frustrating!

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar issue when I shoveled snow last week; my sister did as well and I posted about this last week. The suggestion that was given to me was to select "other" as the type of workout. I've tried this while cleaning house and shoveling more snow, and it does work. I think it would be ideal for taking a walk! As far as taking a walk, I've also found that using the indoor walk option is better than using the outdoor walk option. I went on a nature walk last spring, and we were out for two hours, but stopping to look at this and that, and I got very little credit. It was so frustrating!

One bit of advice I have is if you try to push what your watch counts you might lose an accurate measure as far as managing your weight, strength and agility. I have to keep it quite honest (really exercise) to be in size 32 pants, enjoy a beer, and same for cookies.

:)

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Choosing an “other” workout will count all minutes as exercise ring minutes, even if you are sitting on the couch. (Try it to see.) If you’re serious about earning credit for honest effort, I would use it only when you truly are exercising vigorously.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Choosing an “other” workout will count all minutes as exercise ring minutes, even if you are sitting on the couch. (Try it to see.) If you’re serious about earning credit for honest effort, I would use it only when you truly are exercising vigorously.

Oh, I agree, but shoveling over 8 inches of snow is vigorous! :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods