It's bad enough that Apple is associating specific watch faces with specific Watch models, but now the newest watchOS has brought the new ECG app to the Watch Series 4 models. Heck, I'd argue that the latest watchOS was primarily geared toward the Series 4.

With that in mind, is Apple expecting me to give away or sell my Series 3 Watch and then run out to buy a Series 4 model? If so, are they betting that there's better than a 50/50 chance that I will?

Are you contemplating upgrading from your Series 3 Watch?
    12-08-2018 08:02 AM
    I have the white ceramic edition series 3 Apple Watch, and I paid way too much money to get a new watch now. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be able to get nearly enough money out of the current watch to make it feasible to buy a new one. Maybe next year! I know one thing for sure - I will never pay that much for a Watch again.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-08-2018 08:13 AM
    I have the white ceramic edition series 3 Apple Watch, and I paid way too much money to get a new watch now. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be able to get nearly enough money out of the current watch to make it feasible to buy a new one. Maybe next year! I know one thing for sure - I will never pay that much for a Watch again.
    No doubt about it. It’s not worth it if new features aren’t carried over for a few years.
    12-08-2018 08:20 AM
    Apple is definitely banking on people upgrading. Smart watches are in their infancy, so they’re still evolving & at a rapid rate. This is unfortunate for the early adopter that doesn’t want to upgrade their watch often.
    Just_Me_D and jb_ez86 like this.
    12-08-2018 10:07 AM
    I did it when the 4 just came out and my son will get my 3. I was diagnosed with AFib and have had a procedure to correct, but my vice is getting newest personal technology
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-08-2018 10:10 AM
    I don’t have gottahaveit snyndrome newtoy disease as bad as many. If my series 2 died I’d get a 4. Reboot times and some apps are a pain for some older watches but for the most part they work.

Series 4 is a nice starting point if you haven’t jumped on the ship but I see a same sales problems as with phones - diminishing returns as you spend. With that Apple’s luck here is a less mature market. Around me I see people wanting to buy a Series 4 more than upgrade 1 - 3 year old phones.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-08-2018 10:15 AM
    Of course Apple would love it if you upgraded, but I don't think that they expect anything like that. In fact, they still sell the Series 3 for people who do not want to spend as much as a S4 costs, and the Series 3, while it has no Infograph faces or ECG, can still do A-Fib detection from the stock heart rate monitor.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-08-2018 12:08 PM
    My first AW was a series 3, picked it up right around when series 4 was being released and got an excellent deal on the SS model. Not really impressed with it and they don't keep the value like the iPhone so if I do upgrade I'll stay a year behind.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-08-2018 02:36 PM
    I’m not going to be upgrading anytime soon. I’m still tickled with my Series 3 and will set tight for quite a while
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-08-2018 08:07 PM
    I don’t have to upgrade. I’m still sporting the series 2 and it works fine for me.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-08-2018 08:56 PM
    I don’t have to upgrade. I’m still sporting the series 2 and it works fine for me.
    I kept my original series Watch for over 2 years before I went out an bought a Series 3 model shortly after it went on sale. I’m sure I’ll keep it for a couple of years before upgrading.
    12-08-2018 09:25 PM
    I upgraded. Love it!!
    12-09-2018 03:13 AM
    I kept my series 1 until the 3 came out...sold the series 1 for $75 to a co-worker. I did upgrade to the series 4 and now use the series 3 at night to track heart rate and sleep patterns.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-09-2018 06:27 AM
    I believe they hope everyone upgrades but we know and they know that won't happen. I'm glad I got in with the 4 though.. Apple did amazing IMO.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-09-2018 09:31 AM
    I believe they hope everyone upgrades but we know and they know that won't happen. I'm glad I got in with the 4 though.. Apple did amazing IMO.
    No doubt the Watch Series 4 is the best of the bunch thus far, and I was indeed tempted to get one, however, the upgrade from my Series 3 was minimal (to me) so I'll continue to use it for the foreseeable future....
    12-09-2018 09:34 AM
    No doubt the Watch Series 4 is the best of the bunch thus far, and I was indeed tempted to get one, however, the upgrade from my Series 3 was minimal (to me) so I'll continue to use it for the foreseeable future....
    Yeah my SO is the same. No real huge jump so upgrading from 3 to 4 isn't as worth.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-09-2018 09:37 AM
    Honestly that new watch face is way too busy for me. The wife and I are holding onto our S3’s.
    12-09-2018 09:56 AM
    The improvements from a 2 (Nike+) to a 4 is quite noticeable and totally worth it to me, and that's not even counting the infograph face and ecg features. BUT, had I owned a 3, it's unlikely I would have upgraded.

For some folks, it's a lot easier to justify the upgrade if you can get a fair price for what you have or if you have someone to pass it down to.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-10-2018 03:42 PM
    Of course they want you to upgrade. For me I would like to upgrade my Series 2 but right now I have other financial obligations for my kiddos so it's more of a want vs a need. My watch works albeit slower than a Series 4 with the fancy new features. For now it meets my needs of telling time, giving me notifications, and tracking my fitness. Everything else the Series 4 does is just gravy and sure who doesn't want extra. If it's meant for me to upgrade it'll happen sooner or later but for now I'm content.
    12-11-2018 08:02 PM
    My first Apple Watch was a series 3. I had it for about six months and traded in the day
    the Nike 4 was released.

I always buy the least expensive one, because unlike a fine mechanical watch that you can pass down to the next generation, the Apple Watch is nothing more than a piece of tech with a limited lifespan.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    12-12-2018 05:31 AM
    I’m sure Apple is hoping you will upgrade your Series 3 to a Series 4. There’s a certain percentage of Series 3 owners who will but I doubt that number is even close to 50% and I’m sure Apple knows that as well. There are also users like myself who upgrade every few generations. I had a Series 0 and the next Apple Watch I bought was a Series 3. I’m thinking the percentage of owners of older generations who upgrade might be higher. Who knows.
    They’re always going to add features and functionality exclusive to the newest generation to tempt potential upgraders to pull the trigger even if older models would support those features just fine. It drives me nuts when they do that but I get the marketing behind it.
    12-12-2018 05:41 AM
    They’re always going to add features and functionality exclusive to the newest generation to tempt potential upgraders to pull the trigger even if older models would support those features just fine. It drives me nuts when they do that but I get the marketing behind it.
    To be fair, in this case the past generations cannot do ECG or run any of the Infograph faces or use the new edge style complications, and don’t have the updated accelerometer and gyroscope sensors for fall detection. There really isn’t much S4 specific functionality that isn’t supported on S1, S2, and S3, and the old watches simply don’t have the hardware for it.
    12-12-2018 06:46 AM
    To be fair, in this case the past generations cannot do ECG or run any of the Infograph faces or use the new edge style complications, and don’t have the updated accelerometer and gyroscope sensors for fall detection. There really isn’t much S4 specific functionality that isn’t supported on S1, S2, and S3, and the old watches simply don’t have the hardware for it.
    Sure. I wasn’t making any claim that there are no actual hardware limitations in older generations that keep them from having all of the same functionality present in Series 4. I also wasn’t saying that the software features in Series 4 are light years ahead of prior models. I was merely pointing out that Apple sometimes adds some software functionality to the newest models of their devices that could work in older ones as well.
    12-12-2018 07:12 AM
    I'm thinking of upgrade from S3 to S4, just för the bigger display. Bought my S3 in second hand and probably I will get the money I spent back and if that's the case I will upgrade
    12-12-2018 11:45 AM
    I went from a Series 1 to a Series 4 and the upgrade felt natural. I have no intentions to upgrade annually or even every two years, honestly. Though I'm sure Apple would love us all to upgrade every year.
    12-12-2018 11:53 AM
28 12