Does Apple expect me to discard my Watch Series 3 in favor of a Series 4?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's bad enough that Apple is associating specific watch faces with specific Watch models, but now the newest watchOS has brought the new ECG app to the Watch Series 4 models. Heck, I'd argue that the latest watchOS was primarily geared toward the Series 4.

With that in mind, is Apple expecting me to give away or sell my Series 3 Watch and then run out to buy a Series 4 model? If so, are they betting that there's better than a 50/50 chance that I will?

Are you contemplating upgrading from your Series 3 Watch?

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I have the white ceramic edition series 3 Apple Watch, and I paid way too much money to get a new watch now. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be able to get nearly enough money out of the current watch to make it feasible to buy a new one. Maybe next year! I know one thing for sure - I will never pay that much for a Watch again.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the white ceramic edition series 3 Apple Watch, and I paid way too much money to get a new watch now. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be able to get nearly enough money out of the current watch to make it feasible to buy a new one. Maybe next year! I know one thing for sure - I will never pay that much for a Watch again.

No doubt about it. It’s not worth it if new features aren’t carried over for a few years.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Apple is definitely banking on people upgrading. Smart watches are in their infancy, so they’re still evolving & at a rapid rate. This is unfortunate for the early adopter that doesn’t want to upgrade their watch often.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
I did it when the 4 just came out and my son will get my 3. I was diagnosed with AFib and have had a procedure to correct, but my vice is getting newest personal technology

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I don’t have gottahaveit snyndrome newtoy disease as bad as many. If my series 2 died I’d get a 4. Reboot times and some apps are a pain for some older watches but for the most part they work.

Series 4 is a nice starting point if you haven’t jumped on the ship but I see a same sales problems as with phones - diminishing returns as you spend. With that Apple’s luck here is a less mature market. Around me I see people wanting to buy a Series 4 more than upgrade 1 - 3 year old phones.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Of course Apple would love it if you upgraded, but I don't think that they expect anything like that. In fact, they still sell the Series 3 for people who do not want to spend as much as a S4 costs, and the Series 3, while it has no Infograph faces or ECG, can still do A-Fib detection from the stock heart rate monitor.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
My first AW was a series 3, picked it up right around when series 4 was being released and got an excellent deal on the SS model. Not really impressed with it and they don't keep the value like the iPhone so if I do upgrade I'll stay a year behind.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I’m not going to be upgrading anytime soon. I’m still tickled with my Series 3 and will set tight for quite a while

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don’t have to upgrade. I’m still sporting the series 2 and it works fine for me.

I kept my original series Watch for over 2 years before I went out an bought a Series 3 model shortly after it went on sale. I’m sure I’ll keep it for a couple of years before upgrading.

Frehley

Ambassador
Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I kept my series 1 until the 3 came out...sold the series 1 for $75 to a co-worker. I did upgrade to the series 4 and now use the series 3 at night to track heart rate and sleep patterns.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I believe they hope everyone upgrades but we know and they know that won't happen. I'm glad I got in with the 4 though.. Apple did amazing IMO.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I believe they hope everyone upgrades but we know and they know that won't happen. I'm glad I got in with the 4 though.. Apple did amazing IMO.

No doubt the Watch Series 4 is the best of the bunch thus far, and I was indeed tempted to get one, however, the upgrade from my Series 3 was minimal (to me) so I'll continue to use it for the foreseeable future....:cool:

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
No doubt the Watch Series 4 is the best of the bunch thus far, and I was indeed tempted to get one, however, the upgrade from my Series 3 was minimal (to me) so I'll continue to use it for the foreseeable future....:cool:

Yeah my SO is the same. No real huge jump so upgrading from 3 to 4 isn't as worth.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
The improvements from a 2 (Nike+) to a 4 is quite noticeable and totally worth it to me, and that's not even counting the infograph face and ecg features. BUT, had I owned a 3, it's unlikely I would have upgraded.

For some folks, it's a lot easier to justify the upgrade if you can get a fair price for what you have or if you have someone to pass it down to.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Of course they want you to upgrade. For me I would like to upgrade my Series 2 but right now I have other financial obligations for my kiddos so it's more of a want vs a need. My watch works albeit slower than a Series 4 with the fancy new features. For now it meets my needs of telling time, giving me notifications, and tracking my fitness. Everything else the Series 4 does is just gravy and sure who doesn't want extra. If it's meant for me to upgrade it'll happen sooner or later but for now I'm content.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
My first Apple Watch was a series 3. I had it for about six months and traded in the day
the Nike 4 was released.

I always buy the least expensive one, because unlike a fine mechanical watch that you can pass down to the next generation, the Apple Watch is nothing more than a piece of tech with a limited lifespan.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234