5.1 bricked Watch? Post here

pkguy323

Feb 25, 2018
Visit site
I downloaded the watchOS 5.1 to my Apple Watch 4 44mm and it bricked it. Stuck at Apple Logo. I took it to the Apple store and they were not aware but had to send it in instead of replace because of no inventory.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
5.1 bricked Eatch? Post here

I downloaded the watchOS 5.1 to my Apple Watch 4 44mm and it bricked it. Stuck at Apple Logo. I took it to the Apple store and they were not aware but had to send it in instead of replace because of no inventory.

Unfortunately, this is a known issue. Apple pulled 5.1 a couple of days ago. It was reported in the forums, previously. Hopefully, you’ll get your watch back soon.

https://forums.imore.com/watchos/408489-watchos-5-1-official.html

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Luckily I was out of town and didn't get the update since it was pulled before hand.

Apple should hopefully make it right if yours can't be fixed.

anachrotech

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
I did install and nearly had a breakdown. :concern: After starting the installation, I read of the bricking problem here. As I sat and looked at the watch, it had already started the installation and was too late to stop. Talk about anxiety. Fortunately, it installed with no issue.

I wonder what the difference is in the ones that brick and those that don't?
I have the GPS only Series 4.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I already had it installed (watchOS 5.1 Dev beta) and it’s running great on my Series 3 watch....Thankfully...

necigrad

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I have the GPS only and was bricked by the update. Just got an email from Apple stating they can’t fix it and will be sending it back with a letter explaining.

necigrad

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
So, the answer is... We (including Apple Customer Support) doens't know what was or was not done. I'm attaching two screenshots; one of the email and one from the Apple Support page. To me they're contradictory. The rep I spoke to (Ashley) was exceptionally polite and seems genuinely concerned that I be treated right, but isn't certain what's going on. From the notes she read what I THINK happened is that the watch discharged 100% and shut off. When Apple got it back they charged it and it worked fine. I've agreed to not yell and scream at her (problems like a frozen $400 watch get me bent out of shape in a major way!) and to wait until I get the watch back on Monday. My gut tells me it's going to work just fine and it just needed to die and be recharged, but I can't say for certain. She'll be calling me on Tuesday (she's off Monday) regardless of if a brick or a 100% functioning watch comes back.apple 1.jpgapple 2.jpg

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
So, the answer is... We (including Apple Customer Support) doens't know what was or was not done. I'm attaching two screenshots; one of the email and one from the Apple Support page. To me they're contradictory. The rep I spoke to (Ashley) was exceptionally polite and seems genuinely concerned that I be treated right, but isn't certain what's going on. From the notes she read what I THINK happened is that the watch discharged 100% and shut off. When Apple got it back they charged it and it worked fine. I've agreed to not yell and scream at her (problems like a frozen $400 watch get me bent out of shape in a major way!) and to wait until I get the watch back on Monday. My gut tells me it's going to work just fine and it just needed to die and be recharged, but I can't say for certain. She'll be calling me on Tuesday (she's off Monday) regardless of if a brick or a 100% functioning watch comes back.View attachment 124942View attachment 124943

Very interesting Let us know how this turns out.

Last edited:

necigrad

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I'm expecting a call from Apple tomorrow to follow up, but I've nothing but good news to say. I got the watch back this morning, charged it up, and wore it for the day. When I opened the package it was packed with care, to the point of seeming like a new product. It works just fine and either never actually updated or was reverted to 5.0.1. I have had nothing said about any charges, though I also didn't get a letter explaining anything.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm expecting a call from Apple tomorrow to follow up, but I've nothing but good news to say. I got the watch back this morning, charged it up, and wore it for the day. When I opened the package it was packed with care, to the point of seeming like a new product. It works just fine and either never actually updated or was reverted to 5.0.1. I have had nothing said about any charges, though I also didn't get a letter explaining anything.

That’s great news!!!! So glad you received your watch back in working condition

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

I'm so glad to here that all is well for you and your Watch! A happy ending to a real nightmare!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox