Giving Apple Watch another go.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I had a Series 2, which was okay. But, I couldn’t get into wearing it more than a week at a time, before I would go back to my Citizen Eco Drive. But, after seeing some of the new features, and a few reviews on YouTube, including one from someone who had the same problem with previous smart watches, I decided to give it another go. Got the 44 mm Nike+ in silver. Was hoping to have the nylon band, but they were out of them. Got the standard band. Did get a decent trade in on my Series 2. That helped.

Anyone that may have input for making it a more successful go for me this time, tips would be appreciated.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Congratulations on your new Watch! I have purchased quite a few bands from 3rd party sellers ib Amazon and have been very happy!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Anyone that may have input for making it a more successful go for me this time, tips would be appreciated.

Everyone is different, so not sure how to answer this. You don't really say why you couldn't wear it for more than a week. For me, I like having discrete notifications on my wrist; I like tracking fitness statistics; I run almost every day, so I use the workout app 7 days a week and like having a consistent way to gather data on my runs in one place on my phone. I like seeing what the temperature is at a glance. Plus, of course, what time and day it is.

So, again, that's me. You're probably different from me, so what are you looking for in a watch besides the basic "what time is it right now?"

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I had a Series 2, which was okay. But, I couldn’t get into wearing it more than a week at a time, before I would go back to my Citizen Eco Drive. But, after seeing some of the new features, and a few reviews on YouTube, including one from someone who had the same problem with previous smart watches, I decided to give it another go. Got the 44 mm Nike+ in silver. Was hoping to have the nylon band, but they were out of them. Got the standard band. Did get a decent trade in on my Series 2. That helped.

So was the Apple Watch just uncomfortable, or was the Citizen Eco Drive doing something the Apple Watch didn't? (don't know anything about the Citizen Eco Drive)

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
So was the Apple Watch just uncomfortable, or was the Citizen Eco Drive doing something the Apple Watch didn't? (don't know anything about the Citizen Eco Drive)

Citizen Eco Drive is a solar powered analog watch. It just kept time. I think the thing about it was that I didn’t need to recharge it every day. The sun exposure took care of it.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
So, again, that's me. You're probably different from me, so what are you looking for in a watch besides the basic "what time is it right now?"

Trying to lose weight, and being more active. I have been cycling. But, I use a Garmin Edge on my bike to log those workouts. I think it is more the techie in me wanting to like it.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Get the sport loop on Amazon and get a polar loop HRM to use on your bike rides. The HRM on this watch is better than 2 and 3, but nothing wrist based is up to interval training level

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Heck, I’m the opposite. I haven’t worn a traditional watch since getting my first Watch 3½ years ago. Still, out of all the watch faces, I primarily use the explorer face 99% of the time......Anyway, I’m glad you’re given the Watch another try. Enjoy.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I think I figured out one of my issues. The add ons to the faces, I could never find a set up that satisfied me. Every day, I would swap one out for something else I wanted in there. The info graph face, with it’s 8 add ons seems to be satisfying that issue. I now can have battery and weather and activity and sunrise/sunset and calendar and heart rate and pedometer. And for fun, time for Auckland, New Zealand. Dream vacation destination if anyone is curious as to why I chose that city.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Heck, I’m the opposite. I haven’t worn a traditional watch since getting my first Watch 3½ years ago. Still, out of all the watch faces, I primarily use the explorer face 99% of the time......Anyway, I’m glad you’re given the Watch another try. Enjoy.

Same here. I haven't worn any other type of watch in over 3 years.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Up until the original Apple Watch, I hadn't worn a watch since the calculator watch in high school. But now that I'm on he series 3, it stays on my wrist 23 hours a day. Turn on airplane and theatre mode at night to monitor sleep and heart rate and charge while I'm getting ready for work in the mornings.

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Citizen Eco Drive is a solar powered analog watch. It just kept time. I think the thing about it was that I didn’t need to recharge it every day. The sun exposure took care of it.

I wear my watch all day and at night for sleep tracking. Then I put it on the charger in the morning while I shower and get ready for work. By the time I’m ready for work the watch is fully charged and ready for the next round. Works perfectly!

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I've been using my old series 2 for sleep tracking. I switch watches when I get home from work and switch back after I shower in the morning.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Trying to lose weight, and being more active. I have been cycling. But, I use a Garmin Edge on my bike to log those workouts. I think it is more the techie in me wanting to like it.

I've been using Endomondo for some time to track rides, hikes, walks, etc. With the Endomondo Apple Watch app, you can start a ride and track your stats from there. Ride and workout data syncs with the Endomondo iPhone app, and the Apple Activity and Health apps (if you setup Health app to allow access from Endomondo).

Soon as your ride is over, just stop the ride from the Endomondo Apple Watch app. Road and MTB cycling options are available. The only thing I wish they would add to the Endomondo Apple Watch app is auto pause. Not a big deal and maybe I've missed it in the settings, but the feature exists in the iPhone app so maybe that will come soon to the watch app. So, you could use the above (or with a similar ride tracking app that can integrate with Apple Activity and Health apps), and your Garmin Edge. That could be a nice combination to capture ride and exercise/health data.

The other benefit from using an Apple Watch while on rides is to stay in touch with family/friends. You can monitor and reply to calls and texts (stopped and safely pulled over of course). Super convenient and reduces the need to take your iPhone out of the jersey back pocket, or CamelBak.

I've been doing the above for over three years now with the original Apple Watch. So, I'd imagine that with a Series 4 watch, that the experience will be good for you. Battery is starting to fade on my original watch, so I am considering getting the Series 4 for the above along with the new features the 4 has.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I've been using Endomondo for some time to track rides, hikes, walks, etc. With the Endomondo Apple Watch app, you can start a ride and track your stats from there. Ride and workout data syncs with the Endomondo iPhone app, and the Apple Activity and Health apps (if you setup Health app to allow access from Endomondo).

Soon as your ride is over, just stop the ride from the Endomondo Apple Watch app. Road and MTB cycling options are available. The only thing I wish they would add to the Endomondo Apple Watch app is auto pause. Not a big deal and maybe I've missed it in the settings, but the feature exists in the iPhone app so maybe that will come soon to the watch app. So, you could use the above (or with a similar ride tracking app that can integrate with Apple Activity and Health apps), and your Garmin Edge. That could be a nice combination to capture ride and exercise/health data.

The other benefit from using an Apple Watch while on rides is to stay in touch with family/friends. You can monitor and reply to calls and texts (stopped and safely pulled over of course). Super convenient and reduces the need to take your iPhone out of the jersey back pocket, or CamelBak.

I've been doing the above for over three years now with the original Apple Watch. So, I'd imagine that with a Series 4 watch, that the experience will be good for you. Battery is starting to fade on my original watch, so I am considering getting the Series 4 for the above along with the new features the 4 has.

I prefer the Garmin, because I can store certain rides, and I also have speed, cadence, and power sensors to give me a fairly accurate calorie burn count.

Also, Strava integrates quite nicely with Garmin and the Apple Activity app.

Last edited:

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I decided to give it another chance as well. I picked up a 44mm space gray Series 4 GPS + Cellular Apple watch with a black sport loop. I was considering getting a stainless steel model, but I couldn't justify paying the cost of the base price of an iPhone Xr for one, especially since I only plan on keeping for up to a year.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711