I always go back to the sport band

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I got a Catalyst band for my 44mm yesterday. Same color as my Catalyst case for my iPhone X. Still getting used to it. I've been used to the sport loop where I can dial in the fit exactly. The closest on the catalyst is slightly tighter so the next step looser makes it way too loose.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181227/79e383335bbf59384320bd1bb5edd969.jpg

I have a similar issue with the case/band combo which has it parked away in the box - it's either too tight or too loose

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I have a similar issue with the case/band combo which has it parked away in the box - it's either too tight or too loose

Well, just to be clear, it's not tight, it's just a slight bit snugger than I've been used to for the last couple months. I can get about 2 vs 2.5 fingers between it and my wrist if I push it up my arm as farm as it goes. The next step out on the band made it like 3.5 which was super loose. I could wear it but it would be a bit floppy and probably break the heart rate monitoring lol.

edit: also I think the different feel of the stiffer or thicker silicon vs the nylon velcro type material is playing into the feel as well.

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, just to be clear, it's not tight, it's just a slight bit snugger than I've been used to for the last couple months. I can get about 2 vs 2.5 fingers between it and my wrist if I push it up my arm as farm as it goes. The next step out on the band made it like 3.5 which was super loose. I could wear it but it would be a bit floppy and probably break the heart rate monitoring lol.

edit: also I think the different feel of the stiffer or thicker silicon vs the nylon velcro type material is playing into the feel as well.
For me the Nike Series 3 sports band is the better fit.
With the catalyst it's either flopping around or literally leaving Mark's on my wrist

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
With the catalyst it's either flopping around or literally leaving Mark's on my wrist

Ah, I might have to get the new olive green looking Nike band. It looks like it might be pretty close. Mostly I was just after something that wasn't bright neon green when I bought the phone case itself. Everyone makes nice blues but not many nice dark greens.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

I just realized my wife's is the Nike band so I can borrow hers and check the fit too. I've been using the Catalyst for a couple days now and it's actually fine, just a slight adjustment from what I was used to. That was an adjustment as well though from 2 years of using FitBit bands (charge HR, Charge 2). Those always ended up fitting pretty loose on me and I'm surprised the heart rate thing even worked lol (usually a solid 3 finger space at least between the wrist and pushed up the arm). Before that I hadn't worn an actual watch in so long I don't remember how snug/loose I used to wear them.

edit:
woops, I'm apparently not thinking. I can't borrow hers. She has the 40mm oops.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
My favorite band is my Perlon band from Clockwork Synergy. Perfect fit every time and is very comfortable on the wrist.

View attachment 124387

I've seen those before and have always been concerned about the quality of the attachment or pins. I'm a mountain biker and trail builder where both would be no good for the high percentage of failure I see in reviews of third party bands.

I don't know of anyone who's had an Apple brand band fail but some associates admit their third party bands have failed. That said, it hurts to pay $50 for two pieces of plastic.

I never had a Nike band but I kinda want one.

Same here.

I might buy a Series 4 today but can say my Nike band with holes on my Series 2 has had the most use. It dries faster than my sport loop and it's a little better in really wet and sweaty situations. Finally, it looks fine in a sport situation or with the white or solid color dress shirts I also wear.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
...but can say my Nike band with holes on my Series 2 has had the most use. It dries faster than my sport loop and it's a little better in really wet and sweaty situations.

I've wondered about that... it seems to me that it would breathe a lot better!!!

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
When I put the AW4 on my wishlist I had it paired with the Seashell Sport Loop. My DH bought it with the Sport Band because they didn’t have the seashell at the time. Got my hands on the Sport Loop and...it’s going back. For whatever reason I just could not get it to fit comfortably. I’d planned on giving it a few days but it made me crazy in a couple of hours. So Sports Bands for me.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm still kicking myself on not getting the Dark Teal Sports band. I think it would look great with my gold S3! I've really gotta have the pink hibiscus and the nectarine. Time to start saving my change! LOL!

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
When I put the AW4 on my wishlist I had it paired with the Seashell Sport Loop. My DH bought it with the Sport Band because they didn’t have the seashell at the time. Got my hands on the Sport Loop and...it’s going back. For whatever reason I just could not get it to fit comfortably. I’d planned on giving it a few days but it made me crazy in a couple of hours. So Sports Bands for me.

What wasn't comfortable about it? I've used a sport loop and the catalyst sport band now and the sport loop is still my favorite though I've been giving it a break. Being able to dial in the fit exactly I thought was great.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
What wasn't comfortable about it? I've used a sport loop and the catalyst sport band now and the sport loop is still my favorite though I've been giving it a break. Being able to dial in the fit exactly I thought was great.

That’s the thing I could not dial in the fit. I must have adjusted it a thousand times. I also couldn’t get the watch to lay flat. It all just felt...unbalanced? I really, really wanted to like it but it just didn’t happen.

I wear above my wrist bone instead of at my wrist, maybe that’s why. I have tiny wrists though, the watch (40) would overwhelm my wrist if I wore it that low.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Once again I see that even best rated third party bands have a noticeable amount of failure vs just not liking the fit, feel or look. That seems especially true with nylon, leather and metal ones with their own lugs or attachment not molded as part of the strap. I hate that $50 band tax but my sports and activities increase risk of a bump or hit.

I'll be returning an unopened gift band so am tempted to get a band but I'm also not as in love with a lot of current colors as some from the past. It seems like some are enough trendy that clothing match or tiring of them is a risk.

Maybe a Product Red or seashell sport loop are in my future.

:)

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm back to my sport loop for a bit after using my Catalyst sport band since just after Christmas. I still like the Catalyst but sometimes it's not the most fun to get on. It likes to grab arm hair when sliding the little loop over the end of the band to lock it in place due to the soft touch silicon. I guess I could just wear it in the shower since it's water resistant for that unlike my FitBits that I had before, but I'm usually topping off the charge when I'm showering and also I'd have to deal with wet watch on my wrist for a bit.

htc2hilt

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I still have the original gray Sports band from my S3 that I bought in Sept. 2017 that I’m now using on my S4. I gave the S3 to my wife and she wears the black Sports band that my S4 came with. I still can’t get myself to spend time & money on swapping different watch bands.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox