Stainless Steel vs Aluminum - Which one and why?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: SS vs Al

Why are “you” leaning toward the stainless steel model? What made you ask if there were any cellular problems?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

I can understand why the OP would go for stainless steel. More resistance to corrosion, more scratch resistant, etc. Depending on where the cell radio is, the material may not be a hindrance.

anachrotech

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site

I was looking at the SS but I don't want cellular. Oh, well. So I would like to get the silver A1 at least but with a black band. It seems the silver only comes with the silver band. Hmmm. What to do.
The gold is kind of tugging at me, but it's not really me.

nokia4life

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

Ordered space black stainless in 44mm size always prefer stainless over aluminum due to it can be sporty and dressy the aluminum just says sport. Besides I like shine vs dull.

anachrotech

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site

Went and ordered the Al silver 40mm - no cellular. I also ordered a darker band. Really rather excited about this.
As a Windows Mobile orphan, I am very happy I thought better of getting a third party watch for my L950 a couple years ago. I would have been seriously upset.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I'm torn on this. The look of the SS is so nice, and I've tried to like the silver aluminum... just not sure I'd be as happy with it but for the price difference I might have to find a way! :laughing:

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

i ordered the 44mm SS. I go back and forth. The s0 I got both the SS and the Al, then the s1 Al, s2 SS, s3 SG Al and now SS s4.

anon(978604)

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site

If you plan on using the Watch for more than a year, then I’d recommend the SS.

The SS has the Sapphire watch face crystal. It held up better than the iOn Glass I had in a previous AL watch. If you can afford it, and will be keeping the watch for a while, I recommend the SS.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site

It's a tough call between SS and Al.
My guess is, it's a marketing ploy to put higher price on SS model.
No matter how you slice it, I cannot think of any significant difference in the cost of material and manufacturing cost for these two materials in this tiny application.
These parts are probably stamped, perhaps even using the same die. Dies are fairly expensive and I cannot think Apple use two different dies for these materials.
Same cost, but a huge difference in selling price, hence far more profit by hyping SS model.
Now, re material strength, SS is obviously far stronger. Assuming the thickness of SS and Al models is the same, then the thickness of the housing is assumed to be same. If so, there is a possibility that Al case, under certain conditions wherein some excessive pressure is applied inadvertently, it might dent in, or distorted (very unlikely for such a tiny housing with ribs), damaging the internals or permanently deform the watch. In normal wearing, I would suppose the possibility of such accident is close to nil (what is something small is placed underneath the watch, and somone accidentally pressed on it).
But there is a reason why decent (traditional) watch never uses aluminum housing.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site

I have not purchased an Apple Watch yet, and I do not know if I feel like I need it in the future. Two of my daughters have and love them.
But I suppose that these gadgets would be semi-disposable and would be replaced every couple/few years. If so, I would definitely go for the aluminum body, considering the price difference.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

It's a tough call between SS and Al.
My guess is, it's a marketing ploy to put higher price on SS model.
No matter how you slice it, I cannot think of any significant difference in the cost of material and manufacturing cost for these two materials in this tiny application.
These parts are probably stamped, perhaps even using the same die. Dies are fairly expensive and I cannot think Apple use two different dies for these materials.
Same cost, but a huge difference in selling price, hence far more profit by hyping SS model.
Now, re material strength, SS is obviously far stronger. Assuming the thickness of SS and Al models is the same, then the thickness of the housing is assumed to be same. If so, there is a possibility that Al case, under certain conditions wherein some excessive pressure is applied inadvertently, it might dent in, or distorted (very unlikely for such a tiny housing with ribs), damaging the internals or permanently deform the watch. In normal wearing, I would suppose the possibility of such accident is close to nil (what is something small is placed underneath the watch, and somone accidentally pressed on it).
But there is a reason why decent (traditional) watch never uses aluminum housing.

You didn't address the difference in glass, which is different between the two watches. That would make up some of the difference between the aluminum and stainless steel as well, since I think you're right, the material cost between aluminum and steel is different but we don't really know the manufacturing. Cost of the glass would likely be the contributing factor.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site

You didn't address the difference in glass, which is different between the two watches. That would make up some of the difference between the aluminum and stainless steel as well, since I think you're right, the material cost between aluminum and steel is different but we don't really know the manufacturing. Cost of the glass would likely be the contributing factor.

My bad Robert, I did not know the difference glass materials are used. I will think about it.
I thought the OP's question was SS vs. AI material, not SS vs. AI models.
Many people pay attention to the aesthetic (fashion statement) of SS model too.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site

My bad Robert, I did not know the difference glass materials are used. I will think about it.
I thought the OP's question was SS vs. AI material, not SS vs. AI models.
Many people pay attention to the aesthetic (fashion statement) of SS model too.

In any case, I cannot think of any appreciable difference in material/production cost between two different glass materials.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

I would of went with aluminum if I I didn't get SS s3 for the same price at one day sale at Best buy. I figured I'll be upgrading every couple years if I like it so why pay the extra money on SS.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro