Stainless Steel vs Aluminum - Which one and why?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The extra weight of SS feels better to me, more in line with my other higher end watches compared to the Aluminum. For those who do not like the extra weight, Aluminum is still a good choice.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: SS vs Al

People make more of this than necessary, I think. It's not like you're carrying a cinder block or a brick. We're talking grams here.

Another way to look at it is for someone to scale a watch they already are comfortable with. Find out how many grams that is and compare to the Apple Watch.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Another way to look at it is for someone to scale a watch they already are comfortable with. Find out how many grams that is and compare to the Apple Watch.

Still overkill. Just put the watch on, it's not going to make a difference having a couple more grams on your wrist.

falconeight#IM

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I returned my aluminum for the gold SS. The aluminum just doesn’t feel like a $500 plus watch and the back is ion x glass. My first Apple Watch had that and it discolored and scratched pretty badly.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I’ve only ever bought stainless models. I am clumsy and hit the screen on things a lot and have never had an issue with scratches or cracks on the sapphire crystal so that alone makes it worth it to me. I got the 44mm black stainless series 4 watch last night and I can’t believe how much bigger the display is than the 42mm.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I’ve only ever bought stainless models. I am clumsy and hit the screen on things a lot and have never had an issue with scratches or cracks on the sapphire crystal so that alone makes it worth it to me. I got the 44mm black stainless series 4 watch last night and I can’t believe how much bigger the display is than the 42mm.

Same with me, I'm careful with it but every now and then it gets bumped and the screen is perfect.

Getting the aluminum this time as it's tough to stomach about $900 for a watch vs $550. I have the S0 so keep it a long time, but still... hopefully I don't regret it, but at least I'll have AppleCare and can always sell it if needed. I do have a tinge of nervousness but think it'll be ok. We'll see!

Beachmusic

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site

I haven’t bought one yet, but was at BestBuy today looking. Very disappointed with the appearance of AL vs stainless...but is it just me? Is the matte finish the new “in thing”? I really liked the look of stainless better, don’t need/want cellular, but this is something I’ll have to look at constantly. What may be really swaying me is the fact that stainless has a sapphire crystal. I’ll keep this thing for a long time unlike my disposable fitbits. I’ve had a Rolex for 33 years and that sapphire crystal has no scratches yet. My Fitbit, with normal wear is covered with them. I thought I was all set with the gold aluminum...until I saw it. Ach!

Last edited:

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I had an aluminum S3 right after they came out... I just got the S4 in aluminum as well. The S3 after 1 year has zero scratches, no damage, and I love the matte finish. I never really thought about getting the SS as it seems (for me) to just be an upcharge I would not add much value.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
I had S3 aluminum and just got the S4 stainless steel. The biggest difference I see is in the style, look and feel of the Watch. Now the watch looks like a watch and not a smart watch. Aluminum gives that sporty look while Stainless Steel doesn’t.

I think stainless steel model fits my attire very well. I will soon be buying the Apple Milanese band as well which will be very nice!

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I had S3 aluminum and just got the S4 stainless steel. The biggest difference I see is in the style, look and feel of the Watch. Now the watch looks like a watch and not a smart watch. Aluminum gives that sporty look while Stainless Steel doesn’t.

I think stainless steel model fits my attire very well. I will soon be buying the Apple Milanese band as well which will be very nice!

I just don't like the shine on the SS, the Silver shows the scratches, the Black shows the finger prints and I just don't like gold regardless of metal. However I do like the glass/crystal on the SS, but I figured since I have had the S3 for a year w/o issue, the S4 should be good too... but each their own!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I went the other way and do miss the 'bling' of the SS but the aluminum is growing on me. Hopefully it proves to be as durable.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
When I pull the trigger (so to speak), it will be the Space Black Stainless Steel model. I just like the look of the SS a lot better and it will also match my Space Gray Xs Max.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to end up with the GPS only SG aluminum for my first Watch. I really wanted SS SB but I can't justify nearly double the cost after AC and tax especially considering I'm being forced to pay 100 for the LTE capability that I don't even plan to turn on. If they offered a SS in GPS only I'd have to have a seriously tough discussion with myself though lol.

A coworker has a SB series 2 and yeah it looks amazing. Maybe in a couple years when series 6 is out.

falconeight#IM

May 31, 2010
Visit site
If you can afford the ss then get that one. If you can’t then get the aluminum one. Resale value on the ss is worse than aluminum though.

Beachmusic

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Went to the Apple store “just to look” Wednesday...but they got a shipment in that morning so there was availability—I came home with a gold SS 40mm and love it. I’d heard one hitch about the sapphire crystal, that it was harder to read in bright sun and I live in relentless bright sun year round. I’ve found that there is no issue at all, not even a little, reading it outside, thankfully as my fitbit was hard to read even on a cloudy day. Weight is nothing, really, although I’ve never worn an aluminum so can’t compare. I just don’t notice this. It took me a good hour in the store, weighing the pros and cons of AL and SS, going back and forth. AL looks good too, but in the end, stainless reeled me in. Personal preference! I’m LOVING this thing after fitbit!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Went to the Apple store “just to look” Wednesday...but they got a shipment in that morning so there was availability—I came home with a gold SS 40mm and love it. I’d heard one hitch about the sapphire crystal, that it was harder to read in bright sun and I live in relentless bright sun year round. I’ve found that there is no issue at all, not even a little, reading it outside, thankfully as my fitbit was hard to read even on a cloudy day. Weight is nothing, really, although I’ve never worn an aluminum so can’t compare. I just don’t notice this. It took me a good hour in the store, weighing the pros and cons of AL and SS, going back and forth. AL looks good too, but in the end, stainless reeled me in. Personal preference! I’m LOVING this thing after fitbit!

I've been saying that all along (bold for emphasis). Anyone that is worried about the weight difference in SS and sport is over thinking it :)

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
My first ⌚️was 38 SS, then for Series 3 I went with the 38 Nike AL. I wear a lot of silver jewelry and the AL didn’t match well lol. I ordered the SS 44 and a couldn’t be happier.

Beachmusic

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
My first ⌚️was 38 SS, then for Series 3 I went with the 38 Nike AL. I wear a lot of silver jewelry and the AL didn’t match well lol. I ordered the SS 44 and a couldn’t be happier.
. That was the deciding factor between which stainless color for me too. My wedding rings are gold, watch will be on my left wrist, so that determined what I ended up with in the stainless line. There isn’t a lot of metal on the case, but just enough to make me uncomfortable going “silver” stainless, and if I ever wanted a link band to go with it...well...it would make me uneasy pairing different metals. They could always develop what Rolex did...a band that incorporates both SS color and gold. Problem solved!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner