How many Apps?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My watch will be delivered today, and I've been reading on how to set it up on Apple's site. I see that I can install apps that I have on my iPhone. The thing is, I have A LOT of apps. I don't want to over do it, so I am wondering what everyone else does.

Suggestions, advice are welcome!

Thanks!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't have many third party apps on my watch, because I really don't need them, and I definitely turn off the option to install any third party app with a watch app (watch app, general, turn off "Automatic app install").

On my watch, Dark Sky (a better weather app for when I can't pull out my phone), Overcast (to remote control my podcast app on my iPhone), the Heart Study app, and Workouts++ (which I am not really using.)

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Definitely turn off the install all option. Most apps are not that good or useful on the watch, in my opinion. I have five 3rd party apps I use daily.

AutoSleep
HeartWatch
Gymaholic
WaterMinder
ESPN

I am considering a couple others but I have not found them to be useful on the watch. Only certain apps really work well and are useful on the super small screen. That’s my opinion anyway.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I also use AutoSleep and HeartWatch, but neither are installed on my watch. I just look at the data in the iPhone.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I just let the apps install. I don’t use most of them but they’re there when I need or want them. I have most of my storage space still available too.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't install many apps on my Apple Watch because I don't use my watch in the same manner I use my iPhone. Sure, I have a couple of weather apps, AAA, and Starbucks, but my Apple Watch is primarily my go-to for notifications and quick replies, and, of course, Apple Pay.

Last edited:

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Many of your apps probably don't have AW apps, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I installed a few apps onto my Watch that are important such as:

Autosleep
Airmail
Shazam
Todoist

That's about it.

I tend to use Siri instead of Shazam most of the time lately. It uses Shazam anyway, it's just built in to Siri.

Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm embarrassed to share how many apps actually downloaded onto my watch. It was after 9PM last night, and I was excited and too tired, and didn't pay attention. I've removed most of them but WOW!!!!!

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'm embarrassed to share how many apps actually downloaded onto my watch. It was after 9PM last night, and I was excited and too tired, and didn't pay attention. I've removed most of them but WOW!!!!!
I only have 14. I used to have more though. I don't use, but maybe 3 of them. I could delete the rest.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Definitely turn off the install all option.

Annie...
In addition to the above advice, keep in mind that not all apps on your phone will be compatible with your watch (not all app developers have made their apps installable on the watch).

Once you get your watch set up you'll be able to tell through trial which apps you think you will use the most on your watch. Personally I don't keep a lot on my watch because I get killer battery life just running the absolute bare necessities; Heart Study, Discover, Starbucks, Carrot Weather, Duffy (step tracking), Fantastical (calendar), WomanLog, Phone, and Texts. When I travel I'll install travel related apps like United Airlines/American Airlines etc. I tend to keep things pretty basic which gives me hella good battery life.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Annie...
In addition to the above advice, keep in mind that not all apps on your phone will be compatible with your watch (not all app developers have made their apps installable on the watch).

Once you get your watch set up you'll be able to tell through trial which apps you think you will use the most on your watch. Personally I don't keep a lot on my watch because I get killer battery life just running the absolute bare necessities; Heart Study, Discover, Starbucks, Carrot Weather, Duffy (step tracking), Fantastical (calendar), WomanLog, Phone, and Texts. When I travel I'll install travel related apps like United Airlines/American Airlines etc. I tend to keep things pretty basic which gives me hella good battery life.

Thanks for the wise words!!!! I have already gotten rid of quite a few... and I can see that there are more that I will probably remove.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have apart from the stock apps a total of 5 apps on my apwa
f050831b856a9ef45a698c3ed3fd2406.jpg

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Third-Party Apps:
American (get notices on flight changes)
BMW Connected (turn on car AC or heat)
ESPN
Heart Study
Hue (home kit - lights)
Medisafe (indispensable reminders to take medicine)
The Weather

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods