Is having cellular enabled still worth it to you?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I don't use the cellular on mine a ton, but I love having it there for when I do. I like to use both iOS and Android. If I feel like it I can carry my Android phone (on a different line), wear my Apple Watch and not miss iMessage. I've accidentally forgotten my phone a few times, but didn't have to worry about it because I was wearing my watch. I would love to leave my phone at home when I go on walks, but I can't because Apple still hasn't released a version of Podcasts for watchOS. Come on Apple?!?!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ve since activated the cellular option and am glad I did. Thank you all for your responses. You helped me a great deal and I appreciate it. Thanks again!

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
It's worth it to me but primarily due to health issues (heart patient) so it's important that I have a phone with/on me 24/7 in case I do have a cardiac event. So far, so good in not needing it but going for a walk or hitting the gym without having to schlep the phone with me is awesome.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I use it and like it a lot. Like how I can leave my phone at home if running a short errand or walking. Very convenient for me and well worth it.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have had a few times where my phone is not with me, typically in my office I leave them at my desk and will have the cellular on, and back to my desk in 5 minutes or so. Still its ok, but it should be $10, maybe $5. Cellular on my iPad Pro while I don't use it all the time I have tried it without cellular and found I don't like draining my iPhone battery just to pair it so that $10 was worth it and since its actually using data I don't mind the $10, but the watch is just pairing and rarely sees true stand alone use.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have had a few times where my phone is not with me, typically in my office I leave them at my desk and will have the cellular on, and back to my desk in 5 minutes or so. Still its ok, but it should be $10, maybe $5. Cellular on my iPad Pro while I don't use it all the time I have tried it without cellular and found I don't like draining my iPhone battery just to pair it so that $10 was worth it and since its actually using data I don't mind the $10, but the watch is just pairing and rarely sees true stand alone use.

It’s not just pairing. The carriers still have to create a separate number, link the iPhone number to the watch number so both devices ring when there is a call to the iPhone, prevent calls to the number for the watch, change the caller I’d when you call from the watch to match the iPhone number, push all messages to the two numbers, in addition to sharing a data pool. Still, if it’s not worth $10 to you, then cancel and hope that they enough cancellations to reduce the price.

If there weren’t enough people paying $10/month, the price would go down, or the service would disappear. The only power you have is to pay or not to pay.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Fair enough but it was touted as not needing a SIM and it would use your existing number but didn't happen since the carriers want money and yet again we waste phone #'s requiring new area codes when it really shouldn't be.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Now your making me want to go out and get one. Haha. My series 2 is still good but a little sluggish.

My original series Watch was just fine, except for the snail pace in which it updated watchOS. To be honest, I could have continued using it without a problem, but I’m definitely glad I got the Series 3 cellular model. Being able to continue having communicating capabilities if I opt to leave my iPhone is worth it to me.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
My original series Watch was just fine, except for the snail pace in which it updated watchOS. To be honest, I could have continued using it without a problem, but I’m definitely glad I got the Series 3 cellular model. Being able to continue having communicating capabilities if I opt to leave my iPhone is worth it to me.

To quote Wade Garrett:

Exactly right!

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, if I have to pay for it myself I would cancel it. But since work covers the costs I have it enabled. I don’t use it very often.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
ATT users: is the fee $10? Taxes will vary, but can you advice what you're paying with tax? Originally, I thought they were going to charge $15 plus taxes.

There was a period after purchase where you got free activation. Is that over?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I just drilled down on the ATT site and see that the fee is $10. So far so good. I'm curious about the breadth of taxes you guys (includes gals) see.

I didn't see anything about activation at this time. As much as I hate it, I may have to deal with att though I don't have an S3 yet.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Taxes aren't very much on $10, its the constant nickel and dime mentality of the telecom and mobile device sector. I know we are better off cost wise than Canada is, but honestly the EU has it far better than us. They have been used to paying full price for devices for years and years and got cheap data and voice packages. Now we are paying full price fof the hardware and are still paying too much for the data we get and really no one uses voice, its all data.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site

Same here. I’ve officially retired my original Apple Watch ever since I got my Series 3 LTE, so now only using together with my Series 2.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
For me, it's not even a matter of it being cellular enabled.. I just expect a device to be able to communicate with the world & my other devices in some way at all times.

To those of you with a series 3 Watch AND have cellular enabled for it, is it still worth it to you or do you find that you don’t use its cellular capabilities enough to justify the additional cost?

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
It's $5 a month here with the first 3 months free, if apps like tune in radio worked with LTE without my iPhone i would get one and sell my AW2, but they don't.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR