Is having cellular enabled still worth it to you?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To those of you with a series 3 Watch AND have cellular enabled for it, is it still worth it to you or do you find that you don’t use its cellular capabilities enough to justify the additional cost?

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
To those of you with a series 3 Watch AND have cellular enabled for it, is it still worth it to you or do you find that you don’t use its cellular capabilities enough to justify the additional cost?

It’s worth it to me. I rarely use it, but I like knowing it’s there if I need it. And I don’t miss the $10 per month!

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site

Just to get the alert for phonecalls on my watch when I don't have my phone near is likely enough, but I think the cellular allows my watch to be my golf distance watch without my phone....so far it's not vital but handy and week keep it

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It’s worth it to me. I rarely use it, but I like knowing it’s there if I need it. And I don’t miss the $10 per month!

It was the same with my iPad Pro cellular model. The extra $10 a month was worth it until I went months on end without using it and then it no longer made sense. With my Watch, however, it is always with me and would appear to be worth it, especially when I’m at work because I typically leave my iPhone at my desk.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just to get the alert for phonecalls on my watch when I don't have my phone near is likely enough, but I think the cellular allows my watch to be my golf distance watch without my phone....so far it's not vital but handy and week keep it

I hear you. My Watch is always with me so it would make sense for me to enable its cellular capabilities.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I would like to see more compelling uses for it on the watch though...I think it'll happen

Can you give some examples? I mean, I’m not sure how many more capabilities can be incorporated into it.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Can you give some examples? I mean, I’m not sure how many more capabilities can be incorporated into it.

There are a ton of apps that are great on the iPhone and not very usable on the apple watch- I think many improvements can be made on workout and activity apps for sure.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Definitely worth the $10 / month. When I go on my evening and weekend walks and bike rides I really like to leave my phone at home and just take my watch and Bluetooth earphones.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There are a ton of apps that are great on the iPhone and not very usable on the apple watch- I think many improvements can be made on workout and activity apps for sure.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree with that!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Definitely worth the $10 / month. When I go on my evening and weekend walks and bike rides I really like to leave my phone at home and just take my watch and Bluetooth earphones.

Awesome! The more I think about it, the more I think I’ll activate its cellular option.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I have it activated but don't recall ever really using it. I think my data consumption in total has been something like 0.1 GB. To me it is insurance in case something happens to my phone (lost, dropped, or the more likely, left behind at home). I didn't have high expectations for it, so for me I'm ok with the $10 if only for the warm fuzzy blanket.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been toying with this idea for a while now. My Series 1 is starting to grow a little sluggish with certain tasks so I am interested in upgrading soon. On one hand I wasn't sure if having cellular was worth an extra $10 a month. But on the other hand, there seems to be convenience in having it and I honestly won't even notice the extra $10 so I'm leaning towards it being worth it. Verizon also gives the first three months free so that helps as well. (I believe that promo is still ongoing).

I intend on making a decision within the next few weeks. We shall see.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Here in Singapore the LTE model was only launched on February 9 with a single Telco and fortunately I'm a subscriber. 3 weeks later I bought the watch and activated the LTE function and never looked back.

As some said it's good to have it when you need it, though I myself also seldom use it as I have my phone with me most of the time. The down side is when the LTE kicks in, it drains battery quickly even though you just leave it alone.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Though I don’t have a cellular model, I could never fathom why someone would leave their phone at home...which is what a lot of the argument for going cellular model seemed to be.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Though I don’t have a cellular model, I could never fathom why someone would leave their phone at home...which is what a lot of the argument for going cellular model seemed to be.

Going to the beach for example. Or to a dance party.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Its only worth it because they don't make a stainless steel version without cellular. Stainless steel are the only ones I'll buy so I don't really have a choice.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Its only worth it because they don't make a stainless steel version without cellular. Stainless steel are the only ones I'll buy so I don't really have a choice.

I believe the question is not so much about the LTE watch but about having LTE service enabled on the watch and as another line on your cellular plan. You can buy the LTE version of the watch without activating a cellular account for it.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

When I watched and learned the LTE model was coming, yes, my first thought was "But who leaves their phone at home?". However, after activating LTE on mine and my wife's watches, I'm finding that I'm leaving my phone at home more now. Got those quick trips to the grocery store or gas station, phone stays at home. For those evening and weekend walks and bike rides, phone stays at home. When I go up into the mountains to ride the trails, phone stays in the car.

So yes, I'm eating my words. I'm finding that I'm leaving my phone at home or in the car a lot more in the past couple of weeks.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR