Is having cellular enabled still worth it to you?

Dwood1970

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I umpire softball so I’m out on the diamond for hours at a time without my phone so it’s great that I can still stay in contact if I need to.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have to say that lately I have gotten some benefit from the cellular functions, still no where near what I should or could get but still some. I was in my car in the driveway doing something, phone was inside and I got a call on my AW3C and was able to take the call and finish what I was doing. I forgot my phone in my car this past weekend when I dropped it off for service, I got my phone later that day but people could still reach me which was cool. I also like how I can get calls on my iPad (Pro) too if my phone isn't around which is nice.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have to say that lately I have gotten some benefit from the cellular functions, still no where near what I should or could get but still some. I was in my car in the driveway doing something, phone was inside and I got a call on my AW3C and was able to take the call and finish what I was doing. I forgot my phone in my car this past weekend when I dropped it off for service, I got my phone later that day but people could still reach me which was cool. I also like how I can get calls on my iPad (Pro) too if my phone isn't around which is nice.

You won't get "what you should or could" if you always have your phone with you. Leave it home when yo go out more to increase that, or be happy that it does what you need, if you need it. :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Having the Series 3 Watch with cellular enabled is definitely worth it, in my opinion. Although my iPhone is literally on my person 95% of the time, having the Watch in my wrist during the times I did not have it has been a Blessing. Recently, I had a lot of things in my mind and ended up at a Walgreen’s store. I had forgotten both my wallet and my iPhone. Thankfully, I was wearing my Watch so I was able to pay for the items I purchased via Pay.

SkydiverTilt

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Not so fast all you leave the phone at home peeps. It isn’t quite that easy.

1) The LTE antenna is TERRIBLE, unless you are in a five (maybe 4 sometimes) bar area it just plain doesn’t work...sorry, but the big red X has my screen most of the time the phone isn’t around and I live in a dense area.

2) Only Apple core apps work with the LTE only (phone not around), so it’s limited to what you got with the phone.

3) The interface is awful for anything you need to do quickly over LTE since it uses Siri without the phone, so answering texts is as bad as bad, phone calls are not private (unless you can get those buds out in time which becomes a fiasco).

So, after my 6 month experiment with my stainless Series 3, the LTE is turning off. The phone is with me no matter and it is way too rare it is separated to use ... and to use efficiently.... not in this life.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not so fast all you leave the phone at home peeps. It isn’t quite that easy.

1) The LTE antenna is TERRIBLE, unless you are in a five (maybe 4 sometimes) bar area it just plain doesn’t work...sorry, but the big red X has my screen most of the time the phone isn’t around and I live in a dense area.
Maybe, maybe not. All I can say is that whenever I’ve needed to make a call, reply to a text message etc., when my iPhone was not near me, I’ve been able to do every time.

2) Only Apple core apps work with the LTE only (phone not around), so it’s limited to what you got with the phone.
I’ll take your word for it because I don’t have or need any 3rd-party apps using LTE on my Watch.

3) The interface is awful for anything you need to do quickly over LTE since it uses Siri without the phone, so answering texts is as bad as bad, phone calls are not private (unless you can get those buds out in time which becomes a fiasco).
The Phone app is almost identical to that of the iPhone. You can either tap on the contact to call him or her or ask Siri to call the person for you. As for conversation privacy, do you want to hold the watch to your ear like you do your iPhone? That would make people thing you’re talking to your elbow or something.
So, after my 6 month experiment with my stainless Series 3, the LTE is turning off. The phone is with me no matter and it is way too rare it is separated to use ... and to use efficiently.... not in this life.

I think you’ve made the best decision for you. Well done.

B_Ross

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
After six months of usage without cellular service on the 2 model and about ten months of usage with cellular data on 3, my experience has been that it's very useful. I like to take calls while moving around, sometimes my phone will be charging at my desk and I will be in the workshop. I do match it with my airpods and I have to say, it's grown into my go to device instead of carrying the phone around.

A great example is walking my dog twice a day, so much better with the watch, get to listen to music without lugging a big phone in my jogging pants.

It really depends on how much you move around I would assume. Someone at a desk has no real use of the watch where using a computer or iphone is much faster and productive. I rarely look at a gps map on my watch, simply because if I have to map out a new location, I will do it beforehand. Besides I like to use Ways for best live traffic monitoring when driving, and obviously use the phone as a mounted screen.

But for calls and voice texting, although not being perfect, is already a nice step of advancement for LTE service on the watch.

Frehley

Ambassador
Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
This thread is making me think about getting an Apple Watch.

Hold on for another couple of weeks and get the Series 4...I have a feeling that you will not disappointed! I am going to get the LTE version...and I running the Series 3 LTE version now.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
de8ea40e5263abfe291e4da34cb30704.jpg

Couldn't pass up this deal from Bestbuy.

Last edited:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I like having the cellular. It’s great and I don’t mind the 19.00 a month to have it. If a person doesn’t want to pay you just don’t get it! To have freedom when walking or not grabbing phone is an option I truly love having. It’s personal choice. Quite useful in my opinion

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2