Leave your phone at home?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm contemplating a Series 3. My question is how well it works when you're phone isn't handy. For example, if I have my Series 3 on and my AirPods, is it feasible to leave my phone at home if I'm on a store run? How well does it handle phone calls when paired with AirPods? Music streaming as well?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Leave you phone at home?

I would say yes. Heck, I have to put my watch in Airplane mode on occasion. I was in a meeting with the CEO of our company and my iPhone was with me. I made sure to put the iPhone in Airplane mode. Yet, a phone call came in via my Series 3 watch. That happened while my watch was connected to my work’s Wi-Fi network. It is not activated on a cellular network. If it did it via Wi-Fi, I’m sure it would be the same via a cellular connection.

Last edited:

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I would say yes. Heck, I have to put my watch in Airplane mode on occasion. I was in a meeting with the CEO of our company and my iPhone was with me. I made sure to put the iPhone in Airplane mode. Yet, a phone call came in via my Series 3 watch. That happened with my watch connected to my work’s Wi-Fi network. It is not activated on a cellular network. If it did it via Wi-Fi, I’m sure it would be the same via a cellular connection.

Thanks for the information!

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

I don't have AirPods so I can't answer those questions, but mine works really well over LTE. I was recently getting my phone repaired and was without it for four hours. My watch didn't miss a beat. All my notifications and calls came through as expected, and was able to reply to messages using Scribble.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site

That is the best reason for getting the Series 3 with LTE. The ability to leave your phone behind if you want, or cover yourself if you forget it or it gets broken.

I am concerned with spending too much time on my phone when I am out with other people, so now, I just leave my phone home and if someone really needs to get me, my watch kicks in and I am all set. It is very liberating to be phone free and still be in contact with the world if needed.

felloffthetruck

iPhone 7 Plus Champion
Champion
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site

I find that a ton of apps do not function when only using the watch on LTE. Maybe it's just a Verizon deal.

steve31

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site

I will go out shopping and leave my phone at home. Watch gets all messages and calls. No problems. Even use it with Apple Pay without the phone.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I haven’t tried pairing my AirPods yet but I have run errands without my iPhone and simply walked out of range of my iPhone and it works great. Phone, messages, Apple Pay...it’s all there. My S3 is nowhere near a permanent replacement for my iPhone but it works wonders for short periods of time.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
One of my favorite things about the S3... Night out with your lady.. give her 100% of your attention.. if there is an emergency, people can reach you!! Win Win

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
On a daily basis, I find myself leaving my phone in my office when I have to go out into our warehouse, and I leave it behind when in meetings as well. I am using my phone much less then ever before. I am actually thinking about downgrading my phone to the SE since I could sell my 8+ and pocket some real cash and I still have my IPad Pro 10.5 for the things I need a bigger screen for.

The LTE has been a game changer for me