Is the Stainless really worth the extra $200?

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
My original watch was a series 2 SS. Held up great and had no scratches that I could really notice at trade in. Got a Nike+ series 3 and after two months, no issues either. It weighs less but as long as the screen holds up as well as it has to date? I'll gleefully keep it for two years and save a little $ up front on purchase costs. It definitely weighs less. I'm "meh" on that. It's nicer when working out and running but I do appreciate the extra heft during non-exercise time. I'm not sure why apple couldn't have used the sapphire crystal across the board rather than ionx on the lower end models.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why apple couldn't have used the sapphire crystal across the board rather than ionx on the lower end models.

It could be market volume. Sapphire crystals are not the easiest things to make. Making enough at the volume of aluminum smartwatches that Apple sells may mean that they couldn't make enough fast enough. More likely, though, Apple is trying to keep their cost of materials down to a specific amount, and using sapphire crystals on aluminum watches means either too high a price, too low a profit, or a reduction in material quality in other parts of the watch.

But, that's just a guess.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
It could be market volume. Sapphire crystals are not the easiest things to make. Making enough at the volume of aluminum smartwatches that Apple sells may mean that they couldn't make enough fast enough. More likely, though, Apple is trying to keep their cost of materials down to a specific amount, and using sapphire crystals on aluminum watches means either too high a price, too low a profit, or a reduction in material quality in other parts of the watch.

But, that's just a guess.

I agree with everything you said. I also think it could be for additional differentiation between the Aluminum and Stainless.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
IMO the problem with the SS models is that you pay more up front but when the new models are released your SS is just as obsolete as the aluminum. Apple should have a trade in program for the SS models. That way you could invest in the SS but upgrade with each new watch without paying full price every time. Apple could refurb your trade in and sell it again.

This is exactly what happened to me. I originally had a stainless series 0. When I sold it back I got $5 more than I would have gotten for an aluminum model. I learned my lesson and ended up with an aluminum Series 3 LTE and haven’t regretted my decision. $600 for something I’m only going to keep for maybe two years before upgrading just isn’t worth it.
The stainless model is definitely flashier, just not $200 flashier. It’s not like a regular watch that I’m going to enjoy for many years.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
If you plan on upgrading every year, maybe not.
In general, I think it's worth the extra $ simply for the SS and the Sapphire Crystal.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I spent the extra for the stainless model. I had the series 0 in stainless that I bought used after the series 2 came out and it took a lot of abuse and still looked new when I sold it off upon purchasing my series 3 watch. I’ve already managed to scratch the stainless in a couple places on my series e watch, but the screen is perfect.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I do prefer the stainless steel version, but I take serious issue with Apple making that version only for the LTE AW3. I have found since getting my AW3 at launch I don't need the LTE features all that often, my phone is almost always with me especially when I run. I would prefer SS on a non-LTE version like I had on my AW2.

I don't have to activate the LTE but why should I have to get it that way in the first place just to get SS, and pay the carrier $10 a month for something that is paired to my phone.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I do prefer the stainless steel version, but I take serious issue with Apple making that version only for the LTE AW3. I have found since getting my AW3 at launch I don't need the LTE features all that often, my phone is almost always with me especially when I run. I would prefer SS on a non-LTE version like I had on my AW2.

I don't have to activate the LTE but why should I have to get it that way in the first place just to get SS, and pay the carrier $10 a month for something that is paired to my phone.

Perhaps they do this now to differentiate between the aluminum and stainless steel version, so dedicate the stainless steel models to just LTE ones, and the ceramic models too.

Initially I was also wondering why Apple would do that, since I’ve always bought the stainless steel versions from the start. In the end just have to make do and bought the stainless steel again for the Series 3, and activated mobile data as well. But honestly no regrets.

Cheers!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I thought so too, but you can get Aluminum version with LTE if you want, I see it as a money thing, they can squeeze a few hundred more if you want stainless steel, but hey we are giving you LTE, buy it will also cost you $10 a month for wireless service you may or may not want. I know I could just skip the LTE service but then why am I getting stainless steel other than I want the more weighty device and better option for not getting scratched.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I thought so too, but you can get Aluminum version with LTE if you want, I see it as a money thing, they can squeeze a few hundred more if you want stainless steel, but hey we are giving you LTE, buy it will also cost you $10 a month for wireless service you may or may not want. I know I could just skip the LTE service but then why am I getting stainless steel other than I want the more weighty device and better option for not getting scratched.

When I wanted to get my first Apple Watch in 2015, I was juggling between the stainless steel and aluminum sport, then decided to go stainless steel and ever since then got 'addicted' to it.

Yes the steel version is quite a bit more expensive than aluminum, but it looks more like a 'proper watch' to me, as in I can wear it in all occasions and it looks a lot better as well.

Perhaps it was a good move by Apple to place all their stainless steel and ceramic models to feature just LTE alone, in order to 'up' its prestige status. Overall, the price hasn't been any cheaper. Instead after including LTE, price went up even further.

We'll I'd say in aesthetics wise, stainless steel with some hairline scratch wear looks classic with a lot of character in them.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've heard a lot of good reviews of Cape Cod, but primarily being a polish, it'll still buff out the top layer of metals.

I suppose only use it when the scratches gets too much.

I've used it a few times on micro scratches in the time I've owned the S0 and it's fine. The watch hasn't been polished down to the motherboard ;)

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I've used it a few times on micro scratches in the time I've owned the S0 and it's fine. The watch hasn't been polished down to the motherboard ;)

Well definitely not to that extend, just that I preferred the way it is used, unless the scratches gets too unsightly.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Well definitely not to that extend, just that I preferred the way it is used, unless the scratches gets too unsightly.

It's such a light touch on the surface to clean it, it's really not a big deal. And you don't need to do it often. If it gets that beat up you should be wearing something else :)

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
It's such a light touch on the surface to clean it, it's really not a big deal. And you don't need to do it often. If it gets that beat up you should be wearing something else :)

True, I still don’t find myself polishing my SS watches including my TAG Heuer and Rolex, even though TAG did a full polishing when I sent my watch in for a full overhaul.

Good thing about polishing is that it makes your watch bling more again.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
For me its not the cost difference otherwise I wouldn't be using iOS devices and buying new ones annually :) but having to get cellular just to get stainless steel and having to pay more for cellular is a poor move on their part . . . IMO.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice