Hi guys, Apple has sent me a replacement for my replacement. My replacement was having weird issues so here I am. I don’t remember the answer to the following question because I wasn’t obsessively working out the way I am now. If I unpair the watch the way Apple wants me to (through Find my Phone and Wipe), does it still create a back up if I am in range of my phone? Also, will I be able to restore the new watch to the same back up? I am asking mostly for Activity purposes. I don’t want to lose my move/complete rings streak - especially at the start of the Valentines event.
    02-08-2018 05:06 PM
    Hi guys, Apple has sent me a replacement for my replacement. My replacement was having weird issues so here I am. I don’t remember the answer to the following question because I wasn’t obsessively working out the way I am now. If I unpair the watch the way Apple wants me to (through Find my Phone and Wipe), does it still create a back up if I am in range of my phone? Also, will I be able to restore the new watch to the same back up? I am asking mostly for Activity purposes. I don’t want to lose my move/complete rings streak - especially at the start of the Valentines event.
    I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that when you perform a unpair, the watch automatically backs up to iCloud. Once you pair the new watch, I think you’ll see an option to restore from a few options of backups.
    02-08-2018 05:09 PM
    I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that when you perform a unpair, the watch automatically backs up to iCloud. Once you pair the new watch, I think you’ll see an option to restore from a few options of backups.
    Correct
    02-08-2018 05:33 PM
    Correct
    But Apple wants me to specifically unpair and wipe through find my phone, not via the Watch app. Would that make a difference? And would it preserve Activity data?
    02-08-2018 08:33 PM
    But Apple wants me to specifically unpair and wipe through find my phone, not via the Watch app. Would that make a difference? And would it preserve Activity data?
    My suspicion is that you are right. I know that unpairing from the watch app forces a backup, but I doubt that unpairing using Find My Device would do that. And I think you will lose any data that wasn't synced to the Health app on your phone (so, if you look at the Activity app on your phone, if the data is there, it's not lost.)
    02-08-2018 08:39 PM
    I’m not sure to be honest. When I had a replacement for my S2 I just unpaired it through the app. I see the Erase option in Find iPhone, but I don’t think that’s going to actually unpair it.
    02-08-2018 08:43 PM
    My suspicion is that you are right. I know that unpairing from the watch app forces a backup, but I doubt that unpairing using Find My Device would do that. And I think you will lose any data that wasn't synced to the Health app on your phone (so, if you look at the Activity app on your phone, if the data is there, it's not lost.)
    I’m not sure to be honest. When I had a replacement for my S2 I just unpaired it through the app. I see the Erase option in Find iPhone, but I don’t think that’s going to actually unpair it.
    Perfect. Now, if the data is in the Activity app, would it then sync to the new watch upon activation? Meaning, would the new watch now show x amount of calories for today instead of resetting?
    02-08-2018 08:45 PM
    Perfect. Now, if the data is in the Activity app, would it then sync to the new watch upon activation? Meaning, would the new watch now show x amount of calories for today instead of resetting?
    According to Apple

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204518

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204505
    02-08-2018 08:56 PM
    Great. Thanks. I’m going to try and do it first thing 5am so I don’t need to worry about it.
    02-08-2018 09:35 PM