Watch 3 Wifi

facecard

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I just bought an AW 3 a1859 model. It is the GPS version. I know it doesn't have the LTE option but I thought this particular model had the Wifi capibility. I don't see the Wifi icon on the Watch. I know Apple had released two different versions of the Apple Watch 3. The two versions, the LTE version to use with a carrier and a GPS version.

I guess I misunderstood the GPS version. I thought the GPS version was Wifi version so the Watch can be independent of the phone and connect to Wifi hotspots.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
All Apple watches have WiFi. They will connect to any WiFi access point that your paired iPhone will connect to EXCEPT the watch cannot connect to a WiFi access point that requires some sort of login screen. As long as your phone is in Bluetooth range and bt is turned on on the phone, it will use Bluetooth before WiFi.

So, it’ll connect to your home WiFi, but probably not to a public hotspot that asks you to log in, accept terms, etc.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
It does have wifi compability. However, only the Cellular version shows what Wifi the device is currently connected to.

facecard

May 16, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I would like the phone and Watch to be independent of each other in terms of connection. I would like the Watch to connect to Wifi at work and at home as an independent device. Unless I am not understanding the concept. I think I may have to sell this Watch and buy the GPS + Cellular model to unpair the Phone and Watch and use them as independent devices.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I would like the phone and Watch to be independent of each other in terms of connection. I would like the Watch to connect to Wifi at work and at home as an independent device. Unless I am not understanding the concept. I think I may have to sell this Watch and buy the GPS + Cellular model to unpair the Phone and Watch and use them as independent devices.

Ok, first of all, an Apple Watch, even the cellular model, must pair with an iPhone. (The cellular model requires iPhone 6 and later, the GPS watch requires a 5s or later.) Also, when you are within BT connection of the phone, the Cellular watch will also connect that way first. If you are not, it will try to see if it can connect to a WiFi AP that your phone has already connected to. Only if it cannot will it use cellular (which is probably how you want it to be, as BT low energy uses less battery than WiFi, which uses less battery than cellular.)

Just to be clear, you cannot activate an Apple Watch without pairing it first with an iPhone 6 or later. It will simply do nothing until it is paired. It cannot be activated independently of an iPhone.

facecard

May 16, 2017
Visit site
Ok. Thanks for that info. I knew that Apple Watch, 1 and 2, needed to be paired to the phone, obviously, because it relies on the phone. As I just found with AW 3 GPS model, this Watch needs to be paired with the phone as well. I DID NOT know that AW 3 cellular model still needs to be paired before the Watch can be used. I guess I don't get the reasoning behind the whole pairing thing especially with AW 3. It is too bad that Apple didn't make the AW 3, LTE and GPS models, as a separate device from the phone. Another words, NO pairing or direct interaction with the phone.

Similar to another Apple devices that are Wifi only that doesn't require any pairing, it would be nice if Apple Watch 4 is completely independent from the phone and the user can use Watch without direct connection with the phone.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Ok. Thanks for that info. I knew that Apple Watch, 1 and 2, needed to be paired to the phone, obviously, because it relies on the phone. As I just found with AW 3 GPS model, this Watch needs to be paired with the phone as well. I DID NOT know that AW 3 cellular model still needs to be paired before the Watch can be used. I guess I don't get the reasoning behind the whole pairing thing especially with AW 3. It is too bad that Apple didn't make the AW 3, LTE and GPS models, as a separate device from the phone. Another words, NO pairing or direct interaction with the phone.

Similar to another Apple devices that are Wifi only that doesn't require any pairing, it would be nice if Apple Watch 4 is completely independent from the phone and the user can use Watch without direct connection with the phone.

The Apple Watch doesn’t have access to the App Store on its’ own. All 3rd party watch apps have a counterpart iPhone app. The iPhone has Watch app, to make managing your Watch possible, including installing 3rd party Watch apps and so you can update Watch OS.

facecard

May 16, 2017
Visit site
The Apple Watch doesn’t have access to the App Store on its’ own. All 3rd party watch apps have a counterpart iPhone app. The iPhone has Watch app, to make managing your Watch possible, including installing 3rd party Watch apps and so you can update Watch OS.

I understand the Watch doesn't have the App store on it. Yes, I know the Watch and phone must communicate with each other via Apple Watch app. Unfortunately, either the phone or Watch suffers battery drainage.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I’ll ask the question since no one else has. Why would you want an Apple Watch not paired to your iPhone?? It was conceived, designed, built and sold to complement your iPhone. That’s why it exist.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2