Should I or shouldn’t I...

dieselman412

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
Well I’ve been wanting the Apple Watch since the original release but never had the funds. But I have the funds now and I am wondering if I should get the series 3 42mm with cellular or just wait till fall and see what Apple has new for the watch since I’ve gone this long without it. I have the iPhone 7plus if that helps with anything regarding compatibility. It’s more of a want vs a need for me.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I say treat yourself now as there will always be a new one on the horizon. I'm still enjoying my Series 2 which I bought last June and didn't feel the need to upgrade right away.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I say treat yourself now as there will always be a new one on the horizon. I'm still enjoying my Series 2 which I bought last June and didn't feel the need to upgrade right away.
Last October I upgraded my original Apple Watch Sport with the new Series 3.
While I was very happy about my smartwatch, the Series 3 is way better.
I think the gap between Series 2 and 3 is definitely smaller (but still noticeable).

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Last October I upgraded my original Apple Watch Sport with the new Series 3.
While I was very happy about my smartwatch, the Series 3 is way better.
I think the gap between Series 2 and 3 is definitely smaller (but still noticeable).

The Series 2 is my first Apple Watch so I had nothing to compare it to at the time I purchased it. Speed and cellular are the biggest differences of the Series 3 both of which I don't necessarily need at the moment. Still loving my Series 2

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I’ve had S0, S2 and S3 ... and my daughter has S1 so I’ve experienced them all to some capacity. I think the S3 is solid and worth the investment ... if you have use cases where you’ll benefit from the cellular antenna, I’d definitely do it. I love being able to go for a run without my phone and not worry about missing texts or calls. It’s been nice.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm still rocking the original. May look to get the 3 next month (non cellular) just for the waterproofing.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I got my Series 2 one year, almost to the day, after I got my original watch. I spend a lot of time in the water and the water proofing was a no brainer. At this point the cellular is not enough of need to upgrade. September my series 2 will be two years old so I will see what the next version brings and decide if I need to upgrade.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I say go for it. As mentioned a new one is on the horizon all the time. Why not start enjoying it now. I'm still using an original Apple Watch. If you buy now it will be supported for some time to come.

krishnansasikumar

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
Its a want vs need question.

I had the series 2 which is bought since I loved the Volt Nike band. The need wasn’t really there for me. I sold the watch after a few months. Same happened with my friend who’s an avid Apple fan. He also has a set of Airpods which he isn’t using anymore since its uncomfortable for him.

So, think about whether you will use it for long term before buying.

On the other hand, buy it and see if it fits your use-cases and return it if it doesn’t.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
But I have the funds now and I am wondering if I should get the series 3 42mm with cellular or just wait till fall and see what Apple has new for the watch since I’ve gone this long without it.

The Eternal Tech Conundrum. To know when to hold 'em. Fish or cut bait.

You can always 'just wait and see'. When an update is rumored (Apple Updates are seldom publicly scheduled) to be close, it usually makes sense to wait. But these, outside of Apple, are usually mere speculations, sometimes educated guesses, and very occasionally, actual inside intel.

So, are you the type of person who routinely has a noticeable degree of buyer's remorse when a new and improved version shows up a few months later? Or are you the type of person who appreciates that you got enough use out of v.1 for the last few months that you wouldn't have had, if you waited for v.2.

I got an AW (some call them S0) the day they were released and two more when they went on sale. Series 1 was a noticeable improvement, but I waited for S2 and still use my AWs. The increase in the S3 processor is what I consider very significant, so I'll be getting one regardless.

S4 will have some new features and possibly a different form factor. Who (outside of Apple) knows. But I don't think there will be the big advantages compared to an S3 over prior versions. More incremental that evolutionary. Very likely not revolutionary.

If you can wait, then you should just wait it out.

...with a dash of

there will always be a new one on the horizon.

I think this is the best advice for somebody on the fence, under the circumstances. Being on the fence means cost is a significant consideration as is wanting to have the latest and greatest.

Consider what shortcomings would be a deal breaker and what currently available meets your needs and wants.

Also consider sitting on the fence too long is bad for your anatomy.

dieselman412

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
1d7373cfa55d048172a9d21e1b05a87f.jpg

Well I’m happy to announce I am now a proud and happy Apple Watch series 3 Nike+ 42mm gps model owner! I am already on a unintentional healthier lifestyle wearing this thing, I wish I bought one a few years ago.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I did buy one a few years ago, the original Apple Watch, Space Grey, 38mm.

The day before, I went in the Apple Store and picked the same Watch like you, the 42mm Silver Series 3 Nike+ with Pure Platinum/Black band.

I am soooo happy with it. It’s much much faster than my old watch and I really love the bigger screen. The better battery life is also a big pro.

dieselman412

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
The next thing I might do just to keep it nice is maybe some kind of a gorilla glass screen protector and a clear thin 2 piece snap kinda shell just to keep the aluminum from getting scratches, but I’m really happy with it

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711