Apple Watch - Do you ever power it down?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
When I clean it, I turn it off. (Maybe once a month, more in the summer, when I am sweatier.) There have been times when it doesn't seem to be notifying me when I think it should and I occasionally do a power down and power up. Otherwise, it runs 24/7.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Never is a good idea to have a lithium battery dies. I’m trying to never let it goes below 20%

I don’t mind letting my Watch battery die. Sometimes when you’re out and about it’s inevitable. I don’t lose sleep over it if it happens.
Lithium batteries are designed to withstand this. Lithium batteries are so sophisticated that you as end user actually don’t have to worry about anything else than using the device as you yourself intend to use it.

The only thing to avoid is leaving a lithium battery without charge for more than a few months.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I don’t mind letting my Watch battery die. Sometimes when you’re out and about it’s inevitable. I don’t lose sleep over it if it happens.
Lithium batteries are designed to withstand this. Lithium batteries are so sophisticated that you as end user actually don’t have to worry about anything else than using the device as you yourself intend to use it.

The only thing to avoid is leaving a lithium battery without charge for more than a few months.
Lithium batteries are not so complicated and are highly inefficient. It really is a quite old technology that need to be discharged.
Yes a battery could deal with a complete discharge (because it is not really completely discharged when it shows 0%), but if you recharge it from 0 you are putting a lot of strain on the battery itself. No problem if you do that once in a while, but it is a practice to avoid on a regular basis.
By the way, my Apple Watch lasts about two days on the battery, so what’s the problem in put it to charge one hour every evening at higher percentage ?
My two cents

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I never power mine down. I’ve never intentionally allowed it to die either. Sometimes I just forget to charge it lol.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Here's real information on lithium batteries, so we can halt the misinformation that's already been given;

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

--------------------------------------

No. There's no reason to power it down. I leave it on, and will only reboot it when an app is misbehaving. That's extremely rare though.
How mine was misinformation ?
From the same article YOU linked: see below.
I stated exactly that: try to NOT discharge your lithium battery completely to preserve its life.
It would be better not to charge it to 100%, but it’s not feasible C74295AE-E70F-46AC-8429-A2A5320A2B81.jpeg

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal