My new Stainless AW3, which is about 4 weeks old. I was taking it off and it slipped from hands and fell face first onto my wood floor. The display/crystal didn’t break, but separated from watch body. It looked like the epoxy just dried out. I called Apple, was sent to an Apple Store and waited for an hour to be told that my watch would be replaced but could not be replaced from inventory. The tech checked to see if the battery had swelled, which seems possible. The watch did get a little warm at times. So I’m without my watch until a replacement arrives next week.
    12-30-2017 08:38 PM
    Oh no! Sorry to hear this happen. Hoping the time without your watch won't be too long or hard on you.
    12-30-2017 08:50 PM
    My new Stainless AW3, which is about 4 weeks old. I was taking it off and it slipped from hands and fell face first onto my wood floor. The display/crystal didn’t break, but separated from watch body. It looked like the epoxy just dried out. I called Apple, was sent to an Apple Store and waited for an hour to be told that my watch would be replaced but could not be replaced from inventory. The tech checked to see if the battery had swelled, which seems possible. The watch did get a little warm at times. So I’m without my watch until a replacement arrives next week.
    I’m so sorry!
    12-30-2017 10:09 PM
    Waiting at the Apple Store did cost me over an hour of my life I’ll never get back. I’ll get a replacement watch. It’s more of a hassle than anything else

I’m more curious as to whether this is a common occurrence and whether battery swell is something to be concerned about. My watch did feel a bit warm at times. I opted for the SS model because it’s supposed to be more durable than the AL model. I figured that with SS, I could go without a bumper case and screen protector. I’m not so sure if that’s a good idea in retrospect, and wondering if I should keep a bumper case on my watch when I get it back.
    swimbikemom2 likes this.
    12-30-2017 10:23 PM
    Oh no.. I hope you’ll get your replacement soon!
    12-31-2017 08:37 AM
    Waiting at the Apple Store did cost me over an hour of my life I’ll never get back. I’ll get a replacement watch. It’s more of a hassle than anything else

I’m more curious as to whether this is a common occurrence and whether battery swell is something to be concerned about. My watch did feel a bit warm at times. I opted for the SS model because it’s supposed to be more durable than the AL model. I figured that with SS, I could go without a bumper case and screen protector. I’m not so sure if that’s a good idea in retrospect, and wondering if I should keep a bumper case on my watch when I get it back.
    I've had 3 Apple Watches and they have all held up pretty well. 2 aluminum and 1 stainless. I do kinda remember there being a problem with the screens separating from the body with the 1st gen, but I thought it was fixed.
    12-31-2017 03:32 PM
    12-31-2017 03:33 PM
    Hopefully it arrives soon. I know how it feels even when I forget mine at home for the day.
    12-31-2017 09:05 PM

I’ve had the SS since generation 0....now I have the SS 2.... enjoy not having a case on it or screen protector .....you really don’t need it....
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-01-2018 05:26 AM
    FWP, to be fair. You've probably spend more time more often waiting for something somewhere else, no?

The display/crystal didn’t break, but separated from watch body... So I’m without my watch until a replacement arrives next week.
    Ouch, that's rough. But at least it happened within the warranty period.

I opted for the SS model because it’s supposed to be more durable than the AL model.
    The SS' display is more resistant to scratching, but I tend to think that in typical watch and Watch usage, the AL is more durable. SS is certainly stronger if you really smack both Watches into something hard, but as far as everyday scratches on the case, the polished SS will show them more quickly than the textured AL. My dos centavos.

wondering if I should keep a bumper case on my watch when I get it back.
    I put a Spigen silicone bumper on me AWSS and regretted it. With only one week's wear, I removed it to clean underneath and found the case was covered with fine micro-scratches. They weren't individually visible without close inspection, but the brilliance of the SS case was dulled somewhat. I haven't be able to polish them all out and restore the Watch to its original luster. It may take a professional.

The bumper will definitely prevent some scratching too deep to buff out, so there's that. If you're tough on a Watch, that may be the way to go. Other people seem to have a different experience, but I won't ever use or recommend one.
    01-06-2018 07:20 AM