Setup Apple watch LTE with iphone 5s

anon(10352831)

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
to use the apple watch with LTE I need to update my iPhone 5s to a 6 or higher

I was planning on upgrading in the new year but want to purchase a watch now. the only way I can is to get the GPS model. but I want the LTE functions, but don't have the money to upgrade just yet

anyhow similar to this article
https://www.imore.com/how-use-lte-apple-watch-android-smartphone

I am wondering if I can setup a new watch using a wifes 6s and then revert back to use my 5s. if I installed a backup to a 6s with all my existing settings, then change my everyday phone to 5s, would this work?

would I be limited to anything?

JML5150

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
You have to pair the watch to the phone first, THEN it asks you to select a backup. If you're not able to pair the hardware you won't get that far.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
to use the apple watch with LTE I need to update my iPhone 5s to a 6 or higher

I was planning on upgrading in the new year but want to purchase a watch now. the only way I can is to get the GPS model. but I want the LTE functions, but don't have the money to upgrade just yet

Why not buy the LTE model now but delay activating the LTE part until after you get a new phone?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Why not buy the LTE model now but delay activating the LTE part until after you get a new phone?

‘Nuf said........I have the series 3 Watch (cellular model), but I do not have LTE enabled because I don’t need it enabled at this time.

Ant P1

Nov 8, 2017
Visit site
‘Nuf said........I have the series 3 Watch (cellular model), but I do not have LTE enabled because I don’t need it enabled at this time.

i am the originator of the thread. have had to change accounts

you cannot activate an LTE watch with the iPhone 5s, has to be 6 or higher

the gps model can be a 5s or higher

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
i am the originator of the thread. have had to change accounts

the gps model can be a 5s or higher
Ah, yes, good point. Even if you don't want to activate cellular, the iPhone must be iPhone 6 or higher.

If it were me, I'd just wait until I had the new phone, though I suppose if I was really motivated I'd consider looking for a used iPhone 6 to use with the watch until I resell it again when I bought a new phone. But that's really too much bother for me.

Ant P1

Nov 8, 2017
Visit site
If it were me, I'd just wait until I had the new phone, though I suppose if I was really motivated I'd consider looking for a used iPhone 6 to use with the watch until I resell it again when I bought a new phone. But that's really too much bother for me.

but no way of activating using a 6 or higher and then going back to use it with a 5s?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

Accck! I did not know this! I'm getting a Nike+ S3C and would have been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. Maybe iOS would tell me when I tried that I need a 6 or better to open. Thanks for that Ant P, you took some edge off the angst.

So I suppose I could get the Nike now and use everything but LTE with my 5s, then get a new phone and activate LTE.

If you activate LTE with in some time frame (90 days) you don't pay an activation fee. If you wait too long you have to pay. I'll need to research that. If I miss the window it means waiting until I'm at the 'break even point' or better before activating. Probably two maybe three months.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So I suppose I could get the Nike now and use everything but LTE with my 5s, then get a new phone and activate LTE.

That's just it - from what I can tell about the Series 3 Cellular, you can't. According to Apple's website, the Series 3 Cellular requires an iPhone 6 or later. I believe if you try to pair with the 5s, even if you don't want to activate Cellular, it will not pair. That's the issue.

I'd definitely check that with somebody at an Apple Store or call Apple to check for sure, though.

See the fine print at the bottom, here: https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/#mn_p

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) requires an iPhone 6 or later with iOS 11 or later. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) requires an iPhone 5s or later with iOS 11 or later. Apple Watch Series 1 requires an iPhone 5s or later with iOS 11 or later.

(Emphasis mine.)

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Ah, got it. Ok, so the Watch goes on Hold until I decide what to do about a phone. Maybe the iPhone Tennis. Or the iPhone Excess (as if $1149 isn't excessive enough! LOL).

Ant P1

Nov 8, 2017
Visit site
yeah its definitely a pain right now

was hoping someone had tried a workaround by connecting to a 6 or higher and then reverting back to your 5s

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2