Display brightness

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I’m a little disappointed with the series 3 in the fact that the display is not that much brighter, if any, than my series 0.

Maybe it’s my imagination. What do you all think?

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I find it to be very bright, especially if it’s under a light or the sun! 1000 nits as compared to 600 nits on the iPhone.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I’m a little disappointed with the series 3 in the fact that the display is not that much brighter, if any, than my series 0.

The watch does automatic brightness based on ambient light in order to preserve battery when you’re in a relatively dark place. But it should be brighter on a bright, sunny day outdoors than a Series 0.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
The watch does automatic brightness based on ambient light in order to preserve battery when you’re in a relatively dark place. But it should be brighter on a bright, sunny day outdoors than a Series 0.

Yup!
I love how bright it is compared to S0.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Comparing both my S0 and S2, the display brightness of the S0 is only a tad dimmer, not too much difference and still legible under bright sunlight.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

It's not your imagination. I bought an S2 mainly because of the advertised brighter image but was disappointed.

Snoweagle said:
Comparing both my S0 and S2, the display brightness of the S0 is only a tad dimmer, not too much difference and still legible under bright sunlight.

This has been my experience, too. Indoors, when a bright light hits my Watch, the display looks very bright. Then out of the bright light, the brightness wanes.

Outdoors, the AWS2 doesn't look much brighter than my AW. It is brighter, but just not that much. It doesn't look twice as bright to me.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
This has been my experience, too. Indoors, when a bright light hits my Watch, the display looks very bright. Then out of the bright light, the brightness wanes.

Outdoors, the AWS2 doesn't look much brighter than my AW. It is brighter, but just not that much. It doesn't look twice as bright to me.

That's because in brighter conditions, the watch will automatically increase brightness to match the condition so it's easier to read. Likewise in lower light conditions, it'll dim down. It's similar to the iPhone too.

So Apple theoretically states it's twice as bright but I guess it's true if both are at their maximum brightness settings.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
That's because...

...the Ambient Light Sensor adjusts the brightness base on- wait for it— ambient light.

I’m familiar with the process as an ALS is in several pieces of my Apple and Mac kit.
My issue isn’t how it does it, but that it doesn’t do it enough.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
...the Ambient Light Sensor adjusts the brightness base on- wait for it— ambient light.

I’m familiar with the process as an ALS is in several pieces of my Apple and Mac kit.
My issue isn’t how it does it, but that it doesn’t do it enough.

Yeah...I forgot the 'ambient light' term. Thanks for schooling me on that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73