Series 3 with or without LTE?

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Since we've established that you can buy an LTE and not activated it, is it better to buy the LTE if, for example, so if you change your mind later it can still be activated? There is also the advantage of having 16GB storage instead of 8GB. Anything else that I'm missing? So, with a $70 price difference between the two aluminum models (GPS vs. LTE), what are your thoughts?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
If I were to get one, I'd go with the LTE version. It would be really nice to be able to take my walks in the mornings or evenings and only take my watch and not have my phone in my pocket. Streaming music from my watch to bluetooth headphones would be nice too. However, I'm still very happy with my version 0 watch and will stay with it a while longer.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Since we've established that you can buy an LTE and not activated it, is it better to buy the LTE if, for example, so if you change your mind later it can still be activated? There is also the advantage of having 16GB storage instead of 8GB. Anything else that I'm missing? So, with a $70 price difference between the two aluminum models (GPS vs. LTE), what are your thoughts?

If you can afford it, sure. The cellular version also has a ceramic back on aluminum models vs. composite back on the non-cellular ("with GPS" I guess they call it) model. At this point, we don't know what advantage you'd get from 16 GB vs. 8 GB storage. It could be used only for Apple Music; we don't know.

swimbikemom2

Sep 16, 2017
Visit site
If you can afford it, sure. The cellular version also has a ceramic back on aluminum models vs. composite back on the non-cellular ("with GPS" I guess they call it) model. At this point, we don't know what advantage you'd get from 16 GB vs. 8 GB storage. It could be used only for Apple Music; we don't know.

I think for resale value ......you’ll sell it faster in the future .....I’m waiting for my LTE model to be delivered today.....if LTE is not all it’s cracked up to be ....I’ll return and stick with my series 2....

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
is it better to buy the LTE if, for example, so if you change your mind later it can still be activated?

While you'd get more money reselling it because of the LTE, that's not to say that you'll get your money 'back' from the additional cost of the LTE version.

If you're ok with that, then it's a plan. Of course, if you're a savvy seller, or at the right place at the right time, it could mean it's like you leased the Watch for a small investment.

sq018

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Definitely LTE model. Who knows if you need it in the future. Moreover, you get double storage (16GB), ceramic on the back instead of composite. I originally bought GPS model but I returned it for the LTE.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Definitely LTE model. Who knows if you need it in the future. Moreover, you get double storage (16GB), ceramic on the back instead of composite. I originally bought GPS model but I returned it for the LTE.

Sadly it’s not supported in my country.
But the additional storage is definitely nice to have.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I agree , get the LTE... Like Lee_Bo said... Going for a walk and leaving your phone at home is very nice. I also left my phone in the office one night and instead of making the 20 minute ride (each way) to retrieve it, I just said the heck with it, since I had my watch and the kids could still reach me. It is a luxury for sure, but if you can afford it, the LTE is the way to go

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I know I’m late to this thread, but if you haven’t already and can afford the spend the additional money, go with the LTE version. Like the others have stated, you don’t have to activate the cellular feature, but it’s there in case you need it. Besides, I find the red dot and explorer face great edition to distinguishing itself from the non-cellular model. At the same time, Apple should have made the explorer face available on the GPS-only model, in my opinion.

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I’m not interested in reselling as I’ll use my watch for a long time and won’t be upgrading annually like I do with my phone.
I’m super happy with my non-cellular series 3. I can get a good distance away from my phone and still take calls. (If I leave my phone downstairs when I go upstairs no running for my phone. Or in the office when I go to the workroom or restroom too. I have 12 student workers I supervise so that’s important as they’re all over campus and need to be able to get me. )
I can put music and podcasts on my watch and listen to them while I walk after work and not take my phone. The watch works great with my AirPods. I can’t stream music but can put what I want on my watch.
I do agree that if you’re looking at future resale and you want the extra storage you should get the LTE version. Plus the added finishes that are available.
But I just love my watch, after initial doubts, and I made the right choice for me.
Just my 2 cents for anyone debating pros and cons.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m not interested in reselling as I’ll use my watch for a long time and won’t be upgrading annually like I do with my phone.
I’m super happy with my non-cellular series 3. I can get a good distance away from my phone and still take calls. (If I leave my phone downstairs when I go upstairs no running for my phone. Or in the office when I go to the workroom or restroom too. I have 12 student workers I supervise so that’s important as they’re all over campus and need to be able to get me. )
I can put music and podcasts on my watch and listen to them while I walk after work and not take my phone. The watch works great with my AirPods. I can’t stream music but can put what I want on my watch.
I do agree that if you’re looking at future resale and you want the extra storage you should get the LTE version. Plus the added finishes that are available.
But I just love my watch, after initial doubts, and I made the right choice for me.

I agree. The Watch, at least for me, isn’t something I’ll upgrade on an annual basis. I have the cellular model Watch, but I have no intentions of activating the cellular option any time soon. My iPhone is rarely not with me, except when I’m at work and it’s left at my desk when I’m in meetings. Other than that, it is always with me. What I am most impressed about with the Series 3 Watch is, as you’ve stated, how far I can move away from my iPhone and still be connected. I find it impressive. Anyway, your 2 cents, as you put it, is well-received....

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

This brings up my questions.

(1) Can you transfer Apple Music songs to the GPS Only model?
(2) Can the LTE Model stream Apple Music if LTE is off/not activated?

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
This brings up my questions.

(1) Can you transfer Apple Music songs to the GPS Only model?
(2) Can the LTE Model stream Apple Music if LTE is off/not activated?

Can definitely transfer Apple Music songs from your library to the GPS only watch. I have many on mine.

I don’t have the LTE model but I would think you could not stream music if LTE is not activated on the LTE watch - just as you couldn’t make or take phone calls when out of range of your phone without active LTE.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. On the second one, I meant if it is in range of my iPhone. Can the GPS only stream Apple Music if connected to my iPhone?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner