From Series 1 to Series 3, now thinking about going back to series 1

rockitdog23

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I picked up my S3 (Non-LTE) from Apple on Saturday and have to say I've been underwhelmed thus far. I never felt my S1 was that slow to begin with but I don't really feel like my S3 is blazing fast or blows my S1 away. I'm not someone who swims a lot of does any sort of mountain climbing so the waterproofing and addition of the barometric altimeter isn't that much of a bonus for me. The difference in brightness is nice on the S3 but again not other worldly bright. What am I missing? The Series 2 at least had the nice ceramic back but now the S3 has the exact same back as my S1 also.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I understand. Although I use my original series all day every day, it’s not something I’ll upgrade on an annual basis like my iPhone. I use it as a watch first and then as a notifications center and quick reply for when I‘m not in an environment use my iPhone. I will not get another watch until this one conks our.

Frehley

Ambassador
Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I can understand your comments. I got the series 3 with LTE, and I had the series 0 previously.

I have to say that the series 3 is much faster in response and the screen is more vibrant and, at least in my opinion, much easier to view in bright light.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
If the 70% speed bump and improved battery life doesn’t impress you, there’s nothing wrong with going back to Series 1.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm not someone who swims a lot of does any sort of mountain climbing...

FWIW, the altimeter is not just useful for mountain climbing. If you have an iPhone 6s or later and look at the Health app, you'll notice one measure is flights climbed - i.e., the equivalent number of flights of stairs that you have gained in elevation during the day. The Series 2 and earlier did not measure this. In addition, walking or running or biking up hill takes more energy than over a flat, so in older models of the Apple Watch you potentially get less credit for calories expended in the Move ring.

Is that worth the extra price? Maybe not for you, but maybe for other people. (It's not for me. The S2 remains more than good enough for me.)

The Series 2 at least had the nice ceramic back but now the S3 has the exact same back as my S1 also.

No kidding. An unfortunate downgrade IMO.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
From what I can tell, the main things the Series 3 improves on the Series 1 is the faster processor, the GPS and altimeter, improved battery life, brighter screen, and Siri speaking to you. And just a correction, the aluminum Series 2 has the same ion-x back as the Series 1; on both the Series 2 and Series 3, you have to upgrade to the Stainless Steel to get the ceramic and sapphire glass back.

Only you can decide if those features are worth it for you.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
From what I can tell, the main things the Series 3 improves on the Series 1 is the faster processor, the GPS and altimeter, improved battery life, brighter screen, and Siri speaking to you. And just a correction, the aluminum Series 2 has the same ion-x back as the Series 1; on both the Series 2 and Series 3, you have to upgrade to the Stainless Steel to get the ceramic and sapphire glass back.

Only you can decide if those features are worth it for you.

The Aluminium GPS + LTE comes with Ceramic Back too.
The GPS only version is the one that comes with a composite back.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
And just a correction, the aluminum Series 2 has the same ion-x back as the Series 1; on both the Series 2 and Series 3, you have to upgrade to the Stainless Steel to get the ceramic and sapphire glass back.

Small re-correction - My aluminum Series 2, and all Series 2 watches, has a ceramic back. (And is a little dirty.)

IMG_0462.JPG

Ion-x glass front rather than sapphire, but ceramic rather than composite back. Series 1 has always been composite back (but also only aluminum case). The original AW was ceramic back only for stainless steel and the edition models.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Can confirm the AW3 Aluminum LTE has the ceramic back. I guess I never paid attention to the AW2 I had.

i5NrX38.jpg

To the OP, everyone perceives an "upgrade" differently. I went from a Series 0 to a Series 2 and now to the Series 3, and none of them really impressed me much in terms of a speed upgrade. I am just not on the watch itself enough to really feel the speed difference - I use it more for the notifications. The screen brightness was noticeable from the 0 to the 2, the 0 was basically useless in direct sunlight. It was the LTE that sold me on the 3- there are many times I would just assume leave the phone behind and still be able to receive calls and messages. Nobody should feel compelled to upgrade just because its available.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
No kidding. An unfortunate downgrade IMO.

While I don't know that I'll ever appreciate the difference between composite and ceramic backs, it's disappointing that Apple chose to use ceramic backs on only the S3C (Cellular) Watch, when all the S2s had ceramic backs.

If it was me, I'd wear the S3 for awhile, then go back to the S1 to see if there was a significant difference. Sometimes a downgrade is more noticeable than an upgrade.

But so far, assuming LTE isn't important to you, the Watch evolution is closer to current phone iteration, not like earlier where the next version tend to offer some really significant features. That may be the lot of the Watch or any smartwatch— incremental, not revolutionary progress.

Nobody should feel compelled to upgrade just because its available.

Yep.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I am glad I made the switch. There are times I want the opportunity to leave phone at home. Walking for one. It’s going to free me up and I can concentrate on my being outside and still connected. If am out and carrying a really small purse. No issue

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I am glad I made the switch. There are times I want the opportunity to leave phone at home. Walking for one. It’s going to free me up and I can concentrate on my being outside and still connected. If am out and carrying a really small purse. No issue

Yep!
And the new processor makes everything so much better.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I can state that I absolutely made the right decision to upgrade from the Series 1 to Series 3. The single biggest reason, for me, is battery life. I went from not being able to get a full day -- if I used my watch a lot -- to being able to get 2 days of usage (but just one night, so just over 40 hours) on a single charge.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I can state that I absolutely made the right decision to upgrade from the Series 1 to Series 3. The single biggest reason, for me, is battery life. I went from not being able to get a full day -- if I used my watch a lot -- to being able to get 2 days of usage (but just one night, so just over 40 hours) on a single charge.

Series 3’s battery life is very impressive. I can’t imagine what it’s going to be like down the road with the Series 4, 5, and so forth.
What do you use your Watch most for?

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Series 3’s battery life is very impressive. I can’t imagine what it’s going to be like down the road with the Series 4, 5, and so forth.
What do you use your Watch most for?

Largely for the notifications and fitness type tracking. I also use it, mostly though complications, to keep a tabs on the weather (currently feels like 90 and raining). In WatchOS 4 I also appreciate the heart rate tracker, I'm old enough that is something that is nice to have. I also like how it gives the "remote" while listening to music in iOS 4, very handy when wearing AirPods. Last, with the battery life I'm getting, I'm starting to use the watch to track my sleep.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Largely for the notifications and fitness type tracking. I also use it, mostly though complications, to keep a tabs on the weather (currently feels like 90 and raining). In WatchOS 4 I also appreciate the heart rate tracker, I'm old enough that is something that is nice to have. I also like how it gives the "remote" while listening to music in iOS 4, very handy when wearing AirPods. Last, with the battery life I'm getting, I'm starting to use the watch to track my sleep.

Thanks for sharing!
I mainly use it for notifications and fitness as well.
The activity rings are great. Being able to see the weather is a plus. And it works so well with the AirPods!

fabio984

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
How do you track your sleep? Any app activated? Or just wear the watch?
Like I said before, I’m using first gen.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
How do you track your sleep? Any app activated? Or just wear the watch?
Like I said before, I’m using first gen.

I use an app. I've only been doing it about a week now. Currently I'm trying out [URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sleep-tracker-auto-sleep-tracking-watch-monitor/id1179236591?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]Sleepmatic[/URL]. I think I'll try [URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/autosleep-auto-sleep-tracker-for-watch/id1164801111?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]Autosleep[/URL] soon, to see how it compares, as it is one of the higher rated sleep apps.

fabio984

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I use an app. I've only been doing it about a week now. Currently I'm trying out [URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sleep-tracker-auto-sleep-tracking-watch-monitor/id1179236591?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]Sleepmatic[/URL]. I think I'll try [URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/autosleep-auto-sleep-tracker-for-watch/id1164801111?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]Autosleep[/URL] soon, to see how it compares, as it is one of the higher rated sleep apps.

Never used anyone. Installing now auto sleep. If you used both, let me know what’s the best for you.