Verizon assigned a number to my watch

newtoios

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
It's technologically impossible from a network perspective to have the same phone number assigned to two active lines hence the different number assigned to the watch.
So is it like message forwarding in that the iPhone must be turned on for phone calls to come to the watch? Will FaceTime still go to the watch with the phone turned off?

I’m fairly new to the Apple ecosystem.

I thought that’s what “Continuity” was all about?

I’m really hesitant to enable call forwarding, I had a Samsung gear watch that I had to do that with.

It was a nightmare that somehow ended up screwing up the watch.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It's technologically impossible from a network perspective to have the same phone number assigned to two active lines hence the different number assigned to the watch.
So is it like message forwarding in that the iPhone must be turned on for phone calls to come to the watch? Will FaceTime still go to the watch with the phone turned off?

The phone number assigned to the watch is a dormant number. It’s for the carrier to assign data allocation to the watch. Calling the assigned number to the watch will do nothing.

If you have enabled FaceTime on the LTE enabled Watch, you will receive FaceTime and FaceTime Audio on that watch even if the iPhone is turned off or not in the same place as the Watch.

Continuity is something else. It allows to start something on the  Watch and finish it on the iPhone. The other way around is as far as I know not yet possible though.

I hope this clears it up for you.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I’m really hesitant to enable call forwarding, I had a Samsung gear watch that I had to do that with.

I have been using call forwarding for a year now and have yet to experience any issues with it.
I accept a phone call on the watch and continue talking on my phone a lot and it works like a charm.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

I was under that impression as well but after reading your post it has me rethinking picking up a Series 3.
Will enabling call forwarding do anything different?

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
The phone number assigned to the watch is a dormant number. It’s for the carrier to assign data allocation to the watch. Calling the assigned number to the watch will do nothing.

If you have enabled FaceTime on the LTE enabled Watch, you will receive FaceTime and FaceTime Audio on that watch even if the iPhone is turned off or not in the same place as the Watch.

Continuity is something else. It allows to start something on the  Watch and finish it on the iPhone. The other way around is as far as I know not yet possible though.

I hope this clears it up for you.

I think it does, thanks!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I was under that impression as well but after reading your post it has me rethinking picking up a Series 3.
Will enabling call forwarding do anything different?

Enabling call forwarding will allow your other devices to ring at the same time as your iPhone does.
Disabling it will stop this.
I am under the impression that the Apple Watch LTE will ring regardless of the feature enabled or disabled, but I’m not quite sure.
Hopefully someone else can clear things up soon.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I’m really hesitant to enable call forwarding,

I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere yet. I've use 'call forwarding' for phones from time to time and have never needed to activate it for my Watches. As far as I know, they don't need or do call forwarding from Watch to phone.

Ever since I had my first Watch, all I need to do is answer it on the Watch (if convenient) and then pickup the phone (if required). It's more similar to picking up an extension on a landline and hanging up the first phone. I didn't enable anything beyond the initial pairing of my Watches.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Apple very specifically said that the watch will ring at the same number, and calls from the watch will have a caller ID from the same number, and never said *anything* about call forwarding being required. The carriers just assign it a number that is never used because that's what they have to do on their systems to bill another device, as my carrier (Verizon) does with an iPad.

newtoios

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Apple very specifically said that the watch will ring at the same number, and calls from the watch will have a caller ID from the same number, and never said *anything* about call forwarding being required. The carriers just assign it a number that is never used because that's what they have to do on their systems to bill another device, as my carrier (Verizon) does with an iPad.

That’s what I thought as well.

I didn’t want to have to give out a separate number for my watch.

2BTs4Me

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I got my first AT&T bill today, and they not only assigned me a new number, they charged me for a second line, AND said that I owned a phone that I don't own. They fixed it after a nice long chat tho.

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Verizon activated my AW3 but it’s not supposed to ship until 11/9. I’ll be upset if it starts to bill me early.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Then they can call customer service instead of wasting our time in store, or they could have actually read the Customer Service Summery when they activated their tablet before they signed.

Giving your customers good customer service isn’t a waste of time. If you were my employee you wouldn’t work for me very long. If one of my team members ever has an attitude helping out a customer they can find work elsewhere
Helping customers will bring YOU customers. They will brag to their friends how thoughtful you were. But just like good service. Giving bad customer service is shared too

How would YOU like to be treated?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Giving your customers good customer service isn’t a waste of time. If you were my employee you wouldn’t work for me very long. If one of my team members ever has an attitude helping out a customer they can find work elsewhere
Helping customers will bring YOU customers. They will brag to their friends how thoughtful you were. But just like good service. Giving bad customer service is shared too

How would YOU like to be treated?

Agree 100% on all points. Very well stated.

And giving bad customer service is actually more readily shared.

But maybe this guy is 'professional' enough to hide his contempt for the unwary, thoughtless customer who dare enter the store to talk face to face with a human instead of jousting with a phone tree that often doesn't clearly offer an option the customer is looking for.

And very often using phone or online chat means dealing with someone offshore where accents and scripts can mean an even more exasperating experience than tolerating (which I don't) a contemptuous store employee.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Agree 100% on all points. Very well stated.

And giving bad customer service is actually more readily shared.

But maybe this guy is 'professional' enough to hide his contempt for the unwary, thoughtless customer who dare enter the store to talk face to face with a human instead of jousting with a phone tree that often doesn't clearly offer an option the customer is looking for.

And very often using phone or online chat means dealing with someone offshore where accents and scripts can mean an even more exasperating experience than tolerating (which I don't) a contemptuous store employee.
You fail to acknowledge that certain things must be handled by customer service and not in store either corporate or authorized retail.
I have a family member who paid close to $200,000 for a Mercedes-Benz and the GPS stopped working within six months. He called the sales person and was basically told to contact the service department. That isn't the family member's first Mercedes-Benz or first six figure car either. If this works for a $200,000 car then it works for a phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR