Verizon assigned a number to my watch

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I activated the cellular option via the my watch app on my phone. Just happened to look at My Verizon app and saw that a device was added with a different phone number! Is that right?

I have not yet been away from my phone so I don’t even know if this works yet or not.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Yes, it is technically another line of service so it will receive its own number. On the backend there is the number share with your phone line. Mine shows the same.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it is technically another line of service so it will receive its own number. On the backend there is the number share with your phone line. Mine shows the same.

Yep! My iPad Pro has its own phone number too. The Verizon store told me that it’s not actually a working voice number but they need it to establish service to the SIM card in the device.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Yep! My iPad Pro has its own phone number too. The Verizon store told me that it’s not actually a working voice number but they need it to establish service to the SIM card in the device.

Same concept as the aw! I hate having customers come in because there's a number they don't recognize on their bill just to do the research to find it's a tablet.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I hate having customers come in because there's a number they don't recognize on their bill just to do the research to find it's a tablet.

You can mitigate that feeling by realizing how much better the customer feels knowing that they haven't been hacked or some odd juju, and that it was a pretty easy customer care situation, and at the customer may not have even realized how much you hated doing it.

Win-win-win.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Same concept as the aw! I hate having customers come in because there's a number they don't recognize on their bill just to do the research to find it's a tablet.

With all the identity theft and fraud all over the place, I don't blame people for wanting to verify things on their account and/or bill.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
With all the identity theft and fraud all over the place, I don't blame people for wanting to verify things on their account and/or bill.

Then they can call customer service instead of wasting our time in store, or they could have actually read the Customer Service Summery when they activated their tablet before they signed.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Then they can call customer service instead of wasting our time in store, or they could have actually read the customer service summery when they activated their tablet before they signed.

Valid point on the reading the agreement they signed/before they sign, but still. You can't blame people for being cautious.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
You can mitigate that feeling by realizing how much better the customer feels knowing that they haven't been hacked or some odd juju, and that it was a pretty easy customer care situation, and at the customer may not have even realized how much you hated doing it.

Win-win-win.

Not really as they're tying us up in store instead of calling customer service. It's not our job to handle billing or fix mistakes made from other locations. My employees make it known that the tablet, hotspot or wearable will show another phone number. Some stores don't, however it is the customers responsibility to read the Customer Service Summery prior to signing. The CSS states what changes are being made and it'll identify the new number as a new number. It's not easy as you claim because then they want the number taken off or want to complain. The majority of these people didn't activate in my store so I tell them to go where they activated it and have them explain it better.
We have quotas to make, and one of the metrics isn't billing explanation.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Valid point on the reading the agreement they signed/before they sign, but still. You can't blame people for being cautious.

This is true but if they retained their Cistomer Service Summery and compared it to the bill then they'd see that the new number is for their tablet/wearable/hotspot.
Luckily my employees explain it to the customer and reiterate it at the end of the sale.
Sadly it'll only get worse with the new aw.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
You’d be out of a job if those people didn’t come to your store from time to time.
They’d say you’re rude, unfriendly or whatnot and take their business elsewhere.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I activated the cellular option via the my watch app on my phone. Just happened to look at My Verizon app and saw that a device was added with a different phone number! Is that right?

I have not yet been away from my phone so I don’t even know if this works yet or not.

Yep. That’s normal. My iPad Pro cellular model is also assigned a phone number via Verizon.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Cleaned up some off-topic posts. Let's keep this on topic versus veering off into a battle of Morales / what you should and shouldn't do at a retail store. That wasn't the point of the thread ;).

Thanks!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I am a manager and good customer service should be priory regardless where originally purchased. Engaging that customer. Being NICE to them will do what? Let me tell you. It can BRING you future customers. They will tell their family and friends about how someone went the extra mile for them

Having the attitude that they are not your customer is negative. They don’t know the difference. VERIZON is Verizon. Sprint is sprint. Etc. Be kind. Give customer service

newtoios

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Happened with my T-Mobile plan as well.

I was under the impression that they being Apple, would have the same number.

I thought that if your phone was off of out reach , the call would automatically go to your watch.

This doesn’t seem to be the case though.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Happened with my T-Mobile plan as well.

I was under the impression that they being Apple, would have the same number.

I thought that if your phone was off of out reach , the call would automatically go to your watch.

This doesn’t seem to be the case though.

It's technologically impossible from a network perspective to have the same phone number assigned to two active lines hence the different number assigned to the watch.
So is it like message forwarding in that the iPhone must be turned on for phone calls to come to the watch? Will FaceTime still go to the watch with the phone turned off?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice