Returning back to Apple - Should I get the 3 or the 2?

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Long story short, left Apple back in May for the S8+ and now am returning back to Apple. Unfortunately, I sold my old watch so, I have to purchase another.

When I left Apple, I had the Space Black Apple watch Series 2. Best Buy has the Series 2 watch for $100 less than the Series 3, Space Black.

I had a Galaxy Gear with LTE awhile back and while it was somewhat useful, I never really strayed from the device. The altimeter does not seem to do much for me either.

So, other than the LTE and altimeter, is there any significant improvements that warrant the additional $100?

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend getting the Series 3 simply due to it being 70% faster than the Series 2, W2 chip for a more efficient use of bluetooth and wifi, which results in a better battery life.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Also I had the Gear when on Samsung and on cellular. Still had to have phone bear me. But the cellular on the Apple Watch is better. You can leave your phone behind and still be in touch.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
If you don't want the LTE, there is a Series 3 GPS only that starts at $329 ($359 for the 42mm). I'd recommend that one if you don't care for LTE, since you get the series 3 upgrades (other than storage, which is still 8 GB) over the Series 2. It appears the Series 2 is only $30 cheaper than the Series 3 GPS.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
So, other than the LTE and altimeter, is there any significant improvements that warrant the additional $100?

For reasons you mention, it sounds like the LTE version wouldn't be worth the investment, given the additional costs.

TripleOne said:
I would recommend getting the Series 3 simply due to it being 70% faster than the Series 2, W2 chip for a more efficient use of bluetooth and wifi, which results in a better battery life.

I think the faster CPU is reason enough to get a non-LTE S3. Any other improvement is just gravy for me. Every report/review/post I've read from people who actually own an S3 talk about how fast and smooth it is compared to even an S2. Experiences will vary but I think the improved performance is alone worth the price of admission.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Think of it long term. They are discontinuing the S2 because they are doing two versions of S3. Cellular and non
I am glad I chose the cellular. But that’s me.
It’s personal preference. The cellular watch you can leave your phone behind. Sometimes I will want that. Especially if I am walking. I did have cellular on my Samsung but it could never be too far away from the phone
I like how when Apple says cellular and can use alone they mean it!

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Battery life on my Series 3 has been excellent so far - on top of the improved performance. I can easily go two days without charging. My series 2 was good for a day, and by the next morning it was just about dead. The LTE is one of those things that you might not use it every day, or even very often, but it will be extremely handy when you do need it.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Battery life on my Series 3 has been excellent so far - on top of the improved performance. I can easily go two days without charging. My series 2 was good for a day, and by the next morning it was just about dead. The LTE is one of those things that you might not use it every day, or even very often, but it will be extremely handy when you do need it.

I’m very impressed too.
I still had 50% left after using it from 6AM - 10:30PM.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site

My current Series 2 can last two working days with music controls for Spotify and TuneIn Radio Pro, together with other moderate usage including usage of the heart rate sensors. At the end of the two days, was at 21%.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
My current Series 2 can last two working days with music controls for Spotify and TuneIn Radio Pro, together with other moderate usage including usage of the heart rate sensors. At the end of the two days, was at 21%.

That’s quite impressive for the S2!

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes and batt life is a lot better than my original gen Apple Watch in which no music controls and moderate usage, at the end of first work day, left around 40%.

My S3’s battery life is beyond amazing.
I’ve been using it everyday from 6:50AM, 2 hours GPS outdoor walk, 30 minutes indoor run, notifications all day, and by 10:30PM it’ll still be at 50-55%.

I haven’t started a workout yet today, and it’s now at 85% at 4:49PM.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
B&H said my Silver S3C should ship on 9/28 but no notification so far, so no joy. So it's anybody's guess at this point.

Actually, I don't really mind too much. If the timing is right, I may try taking the S3C unopened to my Apple Store and see if I can trade it for a Silver S3N+. That would make me VERY happy!

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
My S3’s battery life is beyond amazing.
I’ve been using it everyday from 6:50AM, 2 hours GPS outdoor walk, 30 minutes indoor run, notifications all day, and by 10:30PM it’ll still be at 50-55%.

I haven’t started a workout yet today, and it’s now at 85% at 4:49PM.

That's awesome! If I had not purchased the Series 2 because of issues in my original Apple Watch, I'd definitely go for Series 3.

If I were using Series 3 now, I suppose it'll last 3 days for my usage style.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
That's awesome! If I had not purchased the Series 2 because of issues in my original Apple Watch, I'd definitely go for Series 3.

If I were using Series 3 now, I suppose it'll last 3 days for my usage style.

A minimum of 2 days at least.
I’m a heavy usage kind of guy, and I can’t even go past 50% by night time.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

This is all good news. Since I started using the Workout and Activity apps, battery life in both my AWs and S2 have taken a hit, more so for the former. I don't mind the nightly charging drill, but occasionally I've had to charge in the late afternoon to keep the battery at 50% or better throughout the day.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
This is all good news. Since I started using the Workout and Activity apps, battery life in both my AWs and S2 have taken a hit, more so for the former. I don't mind the nightly charging drill, but occasionally I've had to charge in the late afternoon to keep the battery at 50% or better throughout the day.

You’ll have more than enough battery life to last a day with the Series 3.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site

Still, I charge mine every night as I use the night stand mode for alarm.

My usage for today - At 0700hrs turned off the charger for my watch, at 100%. Wore to work and as usual listened to Spotify and used the watch to control music (total over an hr), similarly for TuneIn Radio Pro at work (around 2+hrs), did miscellaneous stuffs such as checking heart rate, Pokemon Go, Carrot Weather, XE Currency Pro, messages and two short phone calls.

Got home around 1815hrs and removed watch after cleaning it and sitting on table. Now at 2200hrs, battery still has 47%.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal