Series 3 charging stand issue

chas607

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else see this? I had a series 2 that always snapped right on to my bedside dock. My series 3 seems to spin or slide and not connect to the dock. Charges fine and shows nightstand mode when just connected to a charger and no dock. Could the slight extra thickness and weight be causing this?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone else see this? I had a series 2 that always snapped right on to my bedside dock. My series 3 seems to spin or slide and not connect to the dock. Charges fine and shows nightstand mode when just connected to a charger and no dock. Could the slight extra thickness and weight be causing this?

Hi, welcome to iMore.

That’s a good question. Guess I’ll have to find out myself if my night stand will hold the new Series 3 when I get it.

Frehley

Ambassador
Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I have the series 3 and the bedside dock and mine doesn't spin or slide and connects to the dock like my series 0 that it replaced.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Could the slight extra thickness and weight be causing this?

Most definitely. That doesn't mean that it will, but it certainly could be the issue.

All the various docks are subject to manufacturing variations. They don't have to meet an MFi spec. So any given dock's design or build quality could be a small issue. I think Apple said the difference was .25mm and that would be enough to make a difference in some docks. Even setting the puck in a stand could make a difference.

My Griffin dock uses a rubber O-ring to keep the Watch from spinning. Every so often I have to clean it or the Watch will to spin. (Not on it's own, obviously. LOL

Try cleaning the mounting surfaces or adjusting the charging puck's depth in the dock. It may be some docks will just fit better than others.

chas607

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

Update - the watch is CHARGING on the stand, it is obviously just moving a little causing the nightstand mode to not work. I ordered a new dock that has the watch not suspended in the air but on its side.

Still interested to hear other experiences.

chas607

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Update - the watch is CHARGING on the stand, it is obviously just moving a little causing the nightstand mode to not work. I ordered a new dock that has the watch not suspended in the air but on its side.

Still interested to hear other experiences.

Update 2 - So it appears my Series 2 may be the issue. It was goes into nightstand mode when on the dock (not on its side). I put my series 3 on the dock and tilted it until the watch was almost on its side and PRESTO, nightstand mode. So bottom line, the series 2 of mine may have a tiny glitch, but it is one I like.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2