Apple Watch 3 - Can't Unlock my Mac?

MikeElmendorf

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I cannot seem to enable Unlock my Mac with my new Apple Watch Series 3. Worked fine on my Series 1, but is telling me my Mac is not compatible and needs to be updated. Anyone else? Any ideas?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I do recall that I had issues with unlocking with watch when I first tried setting it up - and I can't remember what I did to get it working. What's weird is that you had it working with your old watch.

If you were me, I think I'd try turning off the unlock with watch setting, and then unpairing the new watch. Restart the phone and the Mac. Pair the watch again. Restart the phone, watch, and Mac. And then see if you can set it up successfully.

Or call AppleCare and see if they have any suggestions...

MikeElmendorf

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I talked to Apple Support at length this morning.

They had me turn off handoff on everything, unpair the watch, repair the watch (which takes forever). Still didn't fix it.

Then they told me that they think the issue is that you need High Sierra to make it work with Series 3. He was a senior advisor and eventually found some notes from someone else who had the same issue.

For those of you who report it is working, are you using High Sierra (beta I guess?)

sshadmand

Sep 23, 2017
Visit site
I talked to Apple Support at length this morning.

They had me turn off handoff on everything, unpair the watch, repair the watch (which takes forever). Still didn't fix it.

Then they told me that they think the issue is that you need High Sierra to make it work with Series 3. He was a senior advisor and eventually found some notes from someone else who had the same issue.

For those of you who report it is working, are you using High Sierra (beta I guess?)

I am using Sierra 10.6.12 and it says I need to upgrade OS to use the feature on my 2016 mac pro. However, I AM on the latest OS.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Very odd.

I'd say it's not that uncommon.

Apple does this frequently. A new bit of kit for some reason needs new software. Sometimes phones or some feature needs a new iOS, new OS, or new iTunes.My feeling is that this is in part to move everybody forward in software for whatever reason.

I don't know there's a technical reason Apple couldn't make the S3 unlock your Mac, though there could be.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
iMore just published an article regarding this issue. The current MacOS does not support Series 3 yet, we’ll have to wait until Monday, update to High Sierra, and it’ll start working again.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Can confirm, Series 3 unlocks High Sierra. I’ve been on beta since day one. Had to reconnect my iPhone for some reason to get my watch to talk to my MacBook though, weird.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711