At this time, I don't want Apple watch 3 with LTE, but I may want it later.
    09-19-2017 02:27 PM
    Apple says yes.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-19-2017 02:48 PM
    Yes you can!
    You can simply turn off cellular from the control center on your Watch.
    09-19-2017 06:04 PM
    Yes you can!
    You can simply turn off cellular from the control center on your Watch.
    I don't know if that makes any difference or if you avoid a nag, but just don't sign up for cellular in the first place.

I'm waiting a bit, a month, week, or day, I don't know which, before activating. It galls me a little to have to pay anything, but $10 is just enough to bug me. If I frequented Starbucks just skipping a day or two would pay for my subscription.

Maybe I'll get a ramen subscription from Amazon.
    09-19-2017 10:12 PM
    I don't know if that makes any difference or if you avoid a nag, but just don't sign up for cellular in the first place.

I'm waiting a bit, a month, week, or day, I don't know which, before activating. It galls me a little to have to pay anything, but $10 is just enough to bug me. If I frequented Starbucks just skipping a day or two would pay for my subscription.

Maybe I'll get a ramen subscription from Amazon.
    I won’t be using it at all on my Watch, since it’s not supported here.
    09-19-2017 11:21 PM
    Absolutely. It should also be noted that the US carriers offering three months free for the watch require that the device be activated for those three months to get the full credit, and if you de-activate and re-activate later, you'll have to pay an activation fee (which I believe is around $25.) They'll only waive the fee once.
    09-20-2017 05:36 AM
    Absolutely. It should also be noted that the US carriers offering three months free for the watch require that the device be activated for those three months to get the full credit, and if you de-activate and re-activate later, you'll have to pay an activation fee (which I believe is around $25.) They'll only waive the fee once.
    What BS! Another way for carriers to get you stuck in an agreement......
    09-20-2017 11:42 AM
    What BS! Another way for carriers to get you stuck in an agreement......
    I don’t believe there is any agreement involved. The plans are month to month and you can cancel at any time.
    09-21-2017 08:01 AM
    I don’t believe there is any agreement involved. The plans are month to month and you can cancel at any time.
    I don't know anything about the Watch/LTE subscription, but I don't think it's like the iPad non-subscription. But I don't know for a certainty.

You can (or could?) buy iPad cellular by the chunks and use it within a month. As often or infrequently as you like. But that's not the same with the Watch. I think the carriers want you to pay for the watch continuously. Anybody have a better handle on that?
    09-21-2017 07:25 PM
    No. That’s why they have a Bluetooth version
    09-22-2017 09:55 PM
    No. That’s why they have a Bluetooth version
    Are you sure the LTE Apple Watch won’t work without an LTE subscription? Even the LTE version still uses Bluetooth most of the time.
    09-22-2017 10:21 PM
    The carriers aren’t going to sell the LTE not on contract. There is a Bluetooth version you can purchase for 329
    09-22-2017 10:24 PM
    The LTE can be used without your phone being on you. The Bluetooth version needs phone close by
    09-22-2017 10:26 PM
    The carriers aren’t going to sell the LTE not on contract. There is a Bluetooth version you can purchase for 329
    I understand that if you purchase directly from a carrier on a payment plan then you’ll have to activate on their network but what about units purchased directly from Apple that aren’t tied to a particular network?
    09-22-2017 10:36 PM
    Call Apple but they probably will ASK for Your carrier
    09-22-2017 10:38 PM
    Apple stores have the phones and watches for all the carriers that carry their products. They offer their customers connecting without going into a carriers store if they choose. So that being said I would think the same applies on the watch.
    Again they have a Bluetooth version
    If the LTE can be purchased without contract that’s great but I personally doubt it. I could be wrong
    09-22-2017 10:53 PM
    The LTE can be used without your phone being on you. The Bluetooth version needs phone close by
    I very much understand the features of the different models of Apple Watches, including how LTE and Bluetooth works. My question was simple: Can an LTE Apple Watch work without being activated on a cellular plan? I questioned it because you stated in a prior response that it wouldn’t work. That said, I found an Apple Support article that says that the LTE Apple Watch does NOT require activation on a cellular network. You obviously won’t get the additional benefits of having the LTE model but it will still work as if it were a non-LTE model.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207578

This is relevant for people like me who might want the Series 3 and are okay spending a little more to be able to activate it on a cellular network at a later time if we so choose.
    Rocket_Girl and Lee_Bo like this.
    09-22-2017 11:05 PM
    Ok. I have a friend who works for Verizon. You can at Apple store but if you purchase from a carrier it must be on a data plan
    09-22-2017 11:09 PM
    I stand corrected. No worries.
    09-22-2017 11:10 PM
    I stand corrected. No worries.
    No problem. Just making sure our members (including you and I) are getting good information. I really don’t see much use for the LTE service as I’m hardly ever far from my iPhone but I may in the future. I’d rather spend an extra $70 and have LTE available if I change my mind.
    09-22-2017 11:13 PM
    I like it. Had with my Samsung only better on Apple
    There will be times I will definitely leave phone at home. This is perfect for me. At work too . Can’t wait to have it
    09-22-2017 11:18 PM
    One thing about getting it now with carrier, at least with Verizon, the activation fee is being waived and also 3 months free on the 10.00 data contract. Also can make 6 payments on the watch.
    09-23-2017 02:46 AM
    Actually, not true. If your watch is connected to a known WiFi access point and is not near the phone, it will communicate with WiFi. And, if your carrier supports it, it can even uses WiFi calling to make and receive calls. There are a few things it can do on wifi; see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205547

(I can say from experience that this is true.)
    09-23-2017 05:58 AM
    I have the series 3 and I have not activated the LTE on it and it works great without it. I may activate it sometime here in the future but I want to see how these data plans shake out. I feel like they will be adjusted as its a new service and I want to wait and see. Regardless though, I purchased mine directly from Apple and just skipped over the data activation and it works perfectly.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    09-23-2017 09:48 AM
    How do you deactivate it ? Is it a simple toggle in the setting ?
    09-23-2017 05:50 PM
43 12